Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Yeah, true. There’s still plenty of stuff left for a solid Switched On Vol. 4, since this is the end of the line and there’ll be no expanded Chemical Chords, etc.

team2 and carnivalofheight like this.
  2. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

Margarine is probably my favorite, so I'm pretty excited I was able to pre-order one of these limited editions after refreshing the page a few times. That shipping is insane, but I guess I can't complain as it would cost me at least that much to ship from here to the UK.

zerbrechen likes this.
  3. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Thought i’d left it too late to get a clear non-obi ‘Sound Dust’ but think I have one. One last go on the scratchcards!

zerbrechen likes this.
  4. zerbrechen

zerbrechen Well-Known Member

I had been able to order the limited clear (non-obi) of the previous batch (D&L, ETK, etc) via Bandcamp to the US, but not possible this round. I did get these 2 in the limited obi edition thanks to this thread, so thanks all around! The shipping this time is definitely high. I feel like it's doubled this time around. But what can you do.

5. zerbrechen

zerbrechen Well-Known Member

No luck yet on the cards, so hoping the same!

hamicle likes this.
  6. kbmh

kbmh Forum Resident

My only issue with ME is it's hard to listen to on headphones. I made my own headphone version with the channels panned a little closer together. I also made mono left and mono right versions (titled Margarine Left and Eclipse Right) so I could listen to each side isolated. I guess I geeked out a touch...

7. carnivalofheight

carnivalofheight Well-Known Member

Interesting that Japanese bonus track ‘La Spirale’ isn’t on Margerine Eclipse, despite the Lab Report newsletter saying everything they recorded during this period is on the new edition. Was expecting it after ‘Galaxidon’ was on Cobra.

So yes, here’s hoping Switched On 4 isn’t too far away. There’s still some fantastic stuff that could go on there, not least the ‘Free Witch And No Bra Queen’ tour EP...but whether they’ll be able to clear the McCartney ‘Helen Wheels’ sample remains to be seen!

3Dman likes this.
  8. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me....

9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

If you order the black vinyl instead of the clear from the Bleep store, they ship from the US for about five bucks.

zerbrechen likes this.
  10. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Just saw their show last night in Phoenix. First time seeing them, it was much different than I expected. I was right up at the front and center of the stage. Only five people on stage yet they really filled the sound out. Laetitia carries the band as far as stage presence goes, and wow her voice is incredible live, but it was still great to see Tim having a good time off to the side. I also picked up No Music on LP at the merch table, listened to the first side when I got home and have to say it’s much stronger than I was expecting

rancher and GordonM like this.
  11. 3Dman

Laetitia did far more instrumentally than I remember in past shows. I remember the occasional synth and then later trombone. She basically plays “lead” guitar and synth now, if there is such a thing in Stereolab. She handled a lot of the major keyboard melodies and nice guitar accents.

rancher likes this.
  12. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Yes I forgot to mention that. She’s also playing a right handed guitar left handed which is quite a feat

rancher and 3Dman like this.
  13. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Got my replacement copy of Cobra today from Ochre. This one is perfect! And a fresh scratch card! One more shot at five Cliffs!
    Anyhow, great customer support from Ochre there!

14. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Sound-Dust is now pre-orderable at amazon.com, fwiw. The 2CD is going for $18.99 plus the usual, as of right now.
    The Margerine Eclipse set has the info and artwork up, but is not yet pre-orderable.

15. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

She’s a better looking Paul McCartney! Or Jimi Hendrix :D

16. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I don’t remember her doing nearly that much on the last two Stereolab tours, but I saw her on her recent tour (Laetitita Sadier Source Ensemble) and she was the only guitar player and also played some keyboards. So, it wasn’t totally a shock to see her doing more. There was a lot of double duty on this tour (Xavi and Joe singing some of Mary’s partd, Joe playing multiple keyboard parts, Laetitia playing guitar and keyboard in some songs), and it really helped them fill out the sound with the smaller ensemble.

The only other person I’ve ever seen flip a right-handed guitar over and play it left-handed without restringing it was a friend of my stepfather’s. I think everyone else I’ve seen do that restrings it like a left-handed guitar.

rancher, GordonM and DrewMeyer like this.
  17. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Great point, I should have made that clearer. I had to do a double take to make sure it was really still strung righty. She made it look effortless!

One thing I also forgot to note though. The male bassist sung Mary’s parts in the original range. He sounded good as far as I could tell but it was slightly unnerving in my opinion

18. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

Gruff Rhys plays left-handed guitar that way too.

19. 3Dman

I believe Dick Dale played that way.
    The bass player nailed the backup vocals IMO.

DrewMeyer likes this.
  20. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Don’t get me wrong, it sounded fantastic. Just a bit of cognitive dissonance. Just made me think about Mary, so tragic :(

3Dman likes this.
  21. 3Dman

Yeah, I hear you. I guess I found it even weirder seeing them right after and it felt like there was just a void.

DrewMeyer likes this.
  22. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I’m loving hearing about the shows, I don’t have much interest in all of the re-issues etc ... but I really wish the Groop had come somewhere near me this time. Thanks to all posting about the shows!

team2 likes this.
  23. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Bump

24. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

I've been in contact with [email protected], for my (still as of yet) undelivered records. I suspect they would be the contact for replacements as well.

sparkmeister likes this.
  25. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I bought my Cobra.. (clear vinyl) from a local shop. I entered a support question via the Duophonic Ochre store and eventually got a request to send an audio sample to the Bleep production team, which I did. I havn't heard anything further but that was only a couple of days ago. I'm not overly hopeful but you never know. (In the first round I had a problem with two disc 3s and no disc 1 with Mars..., ordered via Duophonic/Ochre, and eventually got a replacement via Ochre support. There was no hassle - just a wait.)

sparkmeister likes this.