Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Finally heard back from warp records about cobra. They admitted there was a production issue but clear vinyl is sold out so they can send me a black replacement copy. Now I have to decide if I keep the clear to match the rest of them or keep the black because it plays correctly

sparkmeister and GordonM like this.
  2. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

They're asking you to send the defective clear vinyl copy back?

3. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

No sorry that wasn’t very clear. They’re just sending me a black copy, no return needed. But I don’t have space in my racks for two duplicate triple LP albums haha

4. svet_so

svet_so Well-Known Member

Some festival dates announced for Australia in March apparently, hopefully dates in major city’s coming soon! I hope they give the Kiwi’s some love as well.

Devilscucumber likes this.
  5. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

My cobra replacement vinyl is on its way. Amazingly it’s shipping from the UK, I can’t believe warp doesn’t seem to have distribution set up in the states

6. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Sometimes they seem to though. Not sure how or why, but occasionally when I buy something from Bleep it says shipping from US and cheaper.
    Considering that many smaller labels have a store on both sides of the pond, I’m surprised they don’t as well.

7. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I’m just thinking they’re already sending me a completely new copy for free, to ship it internationally on top of that is like a double loss. Can’t be lucrative in a position like this where there’s a large amount of damaged vinyl to replace

8. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I'm anxious to see what'll be on there. I'm assuming it'll be all the post-Aluminum Tunes tour singles, Japan bonus tracks and stray unreleased studio outtakes.

9. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

This thread includes some fun speculation:
    Stereolab: Mojo’s “How to buy”

team2 likes this.
  10. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I was just trying to find that thread -- I knew we were discussing this at some point. thanks!

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Preordered the new clear "Sound Dust" and "Margarine Eclipse" locally. :righton:

12. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Quoting myself - I have just received an email in which the production team have offered to send a replacement black vinyl Cobra.. free of charge. I'm happy with that, especially since the clear vinyl was bought from a local record shop. At their request I sent them a sound sample and the address of the shop I purchased from.

13. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

You’re right. I’ve even seen him. How did I not remember that?

14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Just going through photos and found some of them live at Primavera Festival this year...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sci-Flyer, hamicle, GordonM and 2 others like this.
  15. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I finally received a black vinyl copy of Cobra.. from Warp having, as I mentioned before, contacted them via the Ochre website and sent sound samples. I originally bought the defective clear vinyl version from a local shop. Anyway, I'm glad to report that the black vinyl (so far, Side B) sounds great.

sparkmeister, realkilroy and LucaB like this.
  16. svet_so

svet_so Well-Known Member

So how are people enjoying Cobra this time around?

17. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

Me, loved it back then, love it now. Nothing has changed.

But I'm a fairweather 'Lab fan, who only knows Dots and Cobra back to front, and don't particularly appreciate the music up to Emperor, and then kinda lost them again from Sound-Dust onwards. I came to them as a High Llamas fan (Dots and Loops was my entry point due to the Llamas' sister album, Cold and Bouncy).

bethel and svet_so like this.
  18. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

I purchased the regular vinyl version. My copy is flawless.

Listened to it this past week. The album never seemed to stick with me after I originally got it on CD. But after hearing it now, it may be one of my favorite Stereolab albums.

GordonM likes this.
  19. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Sound-Dust and Margarine Eclipse. Love both albums, they are both very underrated.

svet_so likes this.
  20. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Would anyone care to comment on the CD remasters compared to the original releases? I've read most of this thread and I can only find comments about the vinyl releases.

21. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Enjoying it as much as I've enjoyed all these reissues. Certainly enjoying it more than I did at the time it was released - probably due to being liberated by the years from the expectations I had at the time!

22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

I've always thought it was a lot better than its general reputation at the time suggested. It's the next two that I'll be interested in revisiting from a "how does this sound to me now?" perspective.

Max Florian likes this.
  23. guerilla1977

guerilla1977 Forum Resident

Same here! I still find the pre-Emperor albums too abrasive for me, and the last couple albums too dull. The sweet spot is Dots, Cobra, Microbe Hunters, and Sound-Dust.

team2 and Max Florian like this.
  24. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

I only have the Mars and Transient remastered discs, but they are just marginally better. I'm glad I got them but by no means are they game changers.

ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  25. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I’m enjoying listening to the download version, since my email about the defective clear vinyl version is still unanswered.

I still like it a lot. I only had the CD the first time around, so now I get the longer edit of “Blue Milk” which I am enjoying quite a bit.