Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I kind of stopped listening to Sound Dust some time after Margarine Eclipse came out. I listened to both of them again a few times before seeing them in September. I forgot how great Sound Dust is. I don’t know why I went off it.

theclogs2002, rancher and musictoad like this.
  2. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I think I *get* Cobra now. I still don't think it's up to their standards but hearing it as a double LP with the full length Blue Milk made sense of that track (well, side, really) but also of side 4. The trajectory of the album is built for vinyl and, on a long CD, it was just wearing.

Guy E, Trey A and svet_so like this.
  3. octophone

My sweet spot is "Peng!" though to "Emperor" and then "Margerine"!! :biglaugh:Vive la difference!

Max Florian likes this.
  4. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

My sweet spot is 'Peng' to 'Not Music' :cool:

What an outstanding discography.

5. octophone

Not long til the last batch - I've resisted playing either of these albums in the meantime. Also, last chance for 5 Cliffs!

hamicle, realkilroy and Trey A like this.
  6. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

ME is one of my all time favorites ... I really wish I could have found a way to see the groop on this tour, but nowhere near me and no extra funds to travel right now

7. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I’ve been there. I doubled the number of shows I’ve seen on this tour because they never play near me and I was never able to travel to see them until 2006.

8. octophone

I know my SD and ME reissues are on their way - anyone got theirs yet?

svet_so likes this.
  9. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Nothing yet, and no tracking email from Duophonic Ochre, but release day is today isn't it?

10. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Mine arrived on Wednesday. Haven't cracked them yet due to holiday guests, at least one of whom I know isn't a fan.

11. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Nice to see some love for Microbe Hunters. That one seems to have fallen through the cracks a bit, as it was considered a "mini-album," I believe. Regardless, some of my favorites are on that one: "Intervals," "Nomus Et Phusis," "Household Names," etc.

NorthNY Mark, svet_so and GordonM like this.
  12. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Just got a shipping notice about 10 minutes ago, so should be on their way shortly.

13. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I just got my shipping notice. It won't be coming until 2nd Dec. :cry:
    Did I pick a 2nd class delivery option? I can't remember.

14. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I received my shipping notice Monday. Not due to arrive until December 6th.

15. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

I've picked both up at my record store today. I've only listened to the first side and half of Sound-dust at this point, but so far so good. No warp nor non-fill as of yet.
    Amusingly, my clear copy of Margerine Eclispe is lacking a number, as were all the other copies at the store.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  16. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Still stuck in Amazon land

17. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

My copy of Margerine Eclipse 2CD just arrived in central Ohio, USA, fwiw (Sound Dust not expected until Tuesday).
    Discogs currently claims ME CD1 is 13 tracks (with La Spirale). Mine has 12 tracks. Just a heads-up.

Update: the booklet explains that La Spirale has been restored to its place as the middle section of Hillbilly Motobike (formerly 2:23, now 4:52).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Neonbeam likes this.
  18. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Has everyone else here turned their backs on record stores ? Copies are out there waiting to be purchased !

Imagine70 likes this.
  19. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I have the OBI versions coming next week. My local store had only been getting the black versions of the last batches. I bought those for regular play copies. Today they only had clear versions of the new ones. :doh: I will have to wait until they sell those and get more to pick up black copies to match the rest of my sets.

20. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Hmmm, let me see, drive 1/2 hr (& find a park), pay $70, or pay $55 (wait 2 weeks or so) and have it arrive at my house, no contest (local currency)

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Picking mine up today! :righton:

Imagine70 and svet_so like this.
  22. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Having listened to everything except the Sound-dust bonus disc, I'm happy to say both releases are perfect this time around (other than the missing number on the Margerine Eclipse, which isn't much of a bother).
    No demos on Margerine Eclipse : they included Instant 0 in the Universe and the tour single Rose, My Rocket Brain instead. Suits me fine : I've never cared much for demos.

Guy E and englishbob like this.
  23. Neonbeam

Visually this last batch in the reissue series looks very nice. Tims notes in "Sound Dust" are rather brief and he doesn't mention "dual mono" in "Margerine Eclipse". Prices for UK originals also came down because 40€ definitely wasn't the lowest Discogs price for "ME" before these reissues.

Now I need to listen because finally the reissues arrived at albums I'm unfamiliar with. Just saw that there isn't much left after these.

And once again no Cliff luck! :cry:

GordonM likes this.
  24. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I ordered both CD and LP obi versions - the CDs have arrived. I've listened to Margerine Eclipse. In contrast, I really liked Tim's notes to ME. Yes, he does not use the term "dual mono" but he does talk about their approach to recording without calling it that. He gives his reasons for not going into individual track details - given the circumstances in which the record was made. I have enjoyed the unedited versions of the tracks on ME. The insertion of the Japan-only track La Spirale "in its original place as the middle section of Hillbilly Motorbike" was a welcome surprise to me.

25. Neonbeam

I didn't criticise "Margerine Eclipse"s liner notes and I did notice that he describes the recording technique. But somehow I was under the impression that in 2004 only the vinyl version was "dual mono" so I was expecting an explanation. But apparently the CD was like that as well.

GordonM likes this.