Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Yes, I now realise you were referring to Sound Dust notes. I havn't read those yet. No criticism of you or your post intended on my part, just expanding - I thought Tim's notes were touching. I hadn't appreciated that there might have been a suggestion that 2004 ME was dual-mono only on vinyl. I have the original vinyl and can't imagine it sounding any other way! (The fact that it was dual mono passed me by for some time :hide:)

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

As someone who's familiar with the original "ME", would you say it's different enough to get it as well? Now that prices came down? I mean.... I've got everything up to "Cobra" as original and remaster vinyl and absolutely don't regret it. Probably time to reverse the process and buy an original to back up the remaster.:biglaugh:

team2 and GordonM like this.
  3. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I would say if you have the reissue, that's enough - assuming the new LP version sounds good. It depends how much of a completest you are! For me, these tracks sound brilliant listening now on CD (and looking forward to the new clear vinyl). I love the fact that in these reissues the tracks are allowed to play to completion - Vonal Declosion being a perfect example on ME. I have not listened to the 'bonus' tracks yet. I have [edit] some of those on 7" or whatever but look forward to listening to them back to back. The demos on the previous reissues have not really been my thing but I really like the instrumental versions on some of the earlier reissues. In every case, the reissue is now my go-to. This is the first time I have owned Sound Dust as at the time I decided they were on the wane :shrug:. I'm looking forward to listening to it more or less fresh. To the person who mentioned Microbe Hunters up above - I also really like it and I wish it was getting this treatment.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Devilscucumber and Neonbeam like this.
  4. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

My only issues with Stereolab is that my partner doesn't appreciate it (words like "can't stand..." & "doing my head in..." come up) and now my funds have dwindled with all the re-issues, I had to make the hard choice between Sound Dust and ME, and since I already had the old CD of SD, I've gone with ME on vinyl, someone tell me I made the right choice (I know, it's like choosing a fav child:rolleyes:

GordonM likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Haven't heard "ME" yet but I just played "Sound Dust" for the very first time and... wow! I was fully prepared for another "Cobra" type of album but this is surprisingly easy going and pleasant. Sound and pressing quality are very nice. I've got no idea how this compares to a 2001 version but taken at face value this is damned great. It also doesn't sound like any other Stereolab album. I mean... it's unmistakeably Stereolab but very fresh! Guess back in the day I dropped out too early with "Dots & Loops". :hide:

6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

However much I like Sound dust, I think you made the right call : ME's bonus disc is *much* better than SD's (if you don't own the relevant music already, that is).

Devilscucumber and GordonM like this.
  7. dave_p

dave_p Well-Known Member

Hi everyone.
    I've got some crackle throughout the track Dear Marge on my clear vinyl ME.
    It starts at about the 2 minute mark.
    It's mostly in the right channel.
    Could anyone have a listen to their copy and see if they notice it.
    Cheers.

8. Devilscucumber

That's what I thought, too. The inclusion of Instant 0 In The Universe and not having had either ME or that EP (and loving Mass Riff)
    If the sound quality of the Sound Dust reissue is a great improvement over the old CD I might have to rethink later (after Xmas)

9. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Sound quality isn't much of a departure to my ears but a few tracks have different lengths. Most significantly, track 8, "Gus the Mynah Bird", is now 3 minutes longer !

Devilscucumber likes this.
  10. Devilscucumber

Now, that's an incentive! Might have to trade in some lp's I no longer love!

11. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

Apologies in advance for a long post. I've been doing a lot of listening to Stereolab recently and it's taken me a while to get through a pretty extensive catalogue. I bought some of their records back in the 90s and saw them live a few times but then lost a bit of interest in the 00s, so I've taken the opportunity of the 2019 re-release campaign to review absolutely everything. I'm now more impressed than ever and think they produced an amazing body of work. One thing I did struggle with though was the length of some of the albums. Much to enjoy, but I lean towards less can be more when it comes to 60 minute plus running times. Anyway, I organised a final set of playlists. All albums are edited in some way and thought I would share them on this thread to maybe provoke a bit of discussion. In brief, this is my overview of Stereolab's output.

Firstly, I don't think the groop's earliest long players (Peng, Space Age...) are very good. However, the early singles on playlist A. are just great. I read an article recently which stated John Cage Bubblegum was their best single, but to my mind it has to be the brilliant 'Super Electric'.

A. Early Singles + (1991 to 1994)
    1. Harmonium * (1992)
    2. The Light That Will Cease to Fail *** (1991)
    3. John Cage Bubblegum * (1993)
    4. Farfisa * (1992)
    5. Lo Boob Oscillator * (1993)
    6. Avant Garde M.O.R. ** (1993)
    7. Super Electric *** (1991)
    8. French Disco **** [1st version] (1993) Jenny Ondioline EP
    9. Moogie Wonderland **** (1994) Ping Pong EP
    * Refried Ectoplasm [Switched On Volume 2]
    ** The Groop Played Space Age Bachelor Pad Music
    *** Switched On
    **** Oscillons from the Anti-Sun

B. Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements (1993) [50 mins]. This contains a truncated 'Transient' (9/10) and, although I understand Tim hates it, partly because it was difficult to make, this is where they hit their stride. I like French Disko kicking it off.
    1. French Disko * [2nd version, 1993 standalone single]
    2. Crest
    3. Our Trinitone Blast
    4. Pack Yr Romantic Mind
    5. I'm Going Out Of My Way
    6. Golden Ball
    7. Pause
    8. Jenny Ondioline
    All taken from Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements, except * from Refried Ectoplasm [Switched On Volume 2].

C. Mars Audiac Quintet (1994) [67 mins]. (9/10) is an album which I love but don't enjoy the original running order.
    1. Ping Pong
    2. International Colouring Contest
    3. Three-Dee Melodie
    4. Outer Accelerator
    5. Nihilist Assault Group Parts 1 to 5 * [12:26]
    6. The Stars Our Destination
    7. Three Longers Later
    8. Transona Five
    9. Wow And Flutter
    10. Anamorphose
    11. Fiery Yellow
    12. Transporte Sans Bouger
    13. New Orthophony
    All taken from Transient Random-Noise Bursts with Announcements, except *my edit which starts with part 1, from the Wow and Flutter EP (1994) [Oscillons from the Anti-Sun] , leading into parts 3 - 5 from the album version.

D. Music for the Amorphous Body Study Center (1995). (9.5/10): and I'm tempted to call this their mini masterpiece. It's near perfect. 'Seeperbold' seems to fit here very nicely but I don't know much about this track so would be grateful for any information about it.
    1. The Extension Trip
    2. Pop Quiz
    3. How To Play Your Internal Organs Overnight
    4. The Brush Descends The Length
    5. Melochord Seventy-Five
    6. Seeperbold *
    7. Space Moment
    All taken from Music for the Amorphous Body Study Center, except * from Aluminum Tunes

E. Emperor Tomato Ketchup (1996) [41 mins]. (8/10). It's one of their best but too long I feel.
    1. Metronomic Underground
    2. Cybele's Reverie
    3. Percolator
    4. Les Yper-Sound
    5. OLV 26
    6. Emperor Tomato Ketchup
    7. Monstre Sacre
    8. Motoroller Scalatron
    9. Anonymous Collective

F. Dots and Loops (1997) [55 mins]. (8/10). Their last consistently great album.
    1. Brakhage
    2. Miss Modular
    3. The Flower Called Nowhere
    4. Diagonals
    5. Refractions In The Plastic Pulse
    6. Fluorescences *
    7. Ticker-Tape Of The Unconscious
    8. Contronatura
    All taken from Dots & Loops, except * from Fluorescences EP (1996) [Oscillons from the Anti-Sun].

G. Cobra and Phases Groop Play Sound Dust in the Margarine Eclipse (1999 to 2004). A compilation of Cobra (7/10), Sound Dust (7/10), Margarine Eclipse (6/10). All those albums have some 10/10 individual tracks but as a whole don't sustain themselves. I have also tried to get familiar with Chemical Chords and the later records but I just didn't like them enough.
    1. Blips, Drips and Strips*
    2. Puncture in the Radax Permutation*
    3. Come and Play in the Milky Night*
    4. Strobo Acceleration*
    5. Black Ants in Sound-Dust**
    6. Space Moth**
    7. Get Carter***
    8. Double Rocker**
    9. Nothing to Do with Me**
    10. Vonal Declosion****
    11. Need to Be****
    12. Blue Milk*
    * Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night (1999)
    ** Sound Dust (2001)
    *** Aluminium Tunes (1998)
    **** Margarine Eclipse (2004)

H. EP Round-Up. This collects my favourite stray EP tracks and rarities. Simple Headphone Mind is wonderful indeed.
    1. The Long Hair Of Death* (1995 split single w Yo La Tengo)
    2. Heavy Denim** (1993 BBC session)
    3. Captain Easychord*** (2001 Captain Easychord EP, 2:53)
    4. The Free Design*** (1999 The Free Design EP)
    5. Long Life Love*** (2001 Captain Easychord EP)
    6. Off-On*** (1997 Miss Modular EP)
    7. Fruition*** (1993 Jenny Ondioline EP)
    8. Allures*** (1997 Miss Modular EP)
    9. Pinball*** (1996 Fluorescences EP)
    10. Simple Headphone Mind ****(1997)
    * Aluminium Tunes
    ** ABC Music: The Radio 1 Sessions
    *** Oscillons from the Anti-Sun
    **** Simple Headphone Mind EP [Nurse With Wound]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  12. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Wow, ME vinyl sounds incredible! Loving this

Devilscucumber, Neonbeam and GordonM like this.
  13. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

A request going out to the Stereolab reissue team. Please consider doing a standalone vinyl release of Music for the Amorphous Body Study Center, in 2020. Not that I'm a great fan of RSD, but it could slot nicely into something like that.

GordonM likes this.
  14. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

As long as it doesn't slow down work on Switched On 4, sure, why not.

15. Neonbeam

Same here. I never heard this album before. I don't care about "dual mono", call it "wide stereo", call it "hard panning", I just love the production. This seriously sounds like a return to vintage Stereolab. Who would have thought that a newer 'Lab album could ever be called "sexy" again? :righton:

jupiter8, team2 and Devilscucumber like this.
  16. englishbob

Same here too. I played Sound Dust first and suffered a bit of Stereolab fatigue during it , as less face it some of their stuff does sound alike, and they haven't exactly ever made a "short album" when on Duophonic. But ME just burst onto the speakers like a fresh band full of new ideas again.

The Duophonic reissues have been excellent

GordonM, Neonbeam and Devilscucumber like this.
  17. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Margerine Eclipse is the only reissue that has a second disc of concurrent, previously-released material. Disc 2 complements/expands-upon the album wonderfully.

I haven't really gotten into the demo recordings from this series. I understand the decision not to include all the various B-Sides and EP tracks that were gathered on Oscillons from the Anti-Sun, but it's a bit strange that the 3-song tour single Rose, My Rocket-Brain was included on ME. I am expecting a 4th volume of Switched On and that tour single will likely be omitted now, given its inclusion on the reissue of ME. It really belongs on Sw On Volume 4, but no complaints... the ME Disc 2 is a solid adjunct.

18. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

Out of curiosity did anyone who scratched a winner get an email confirming they received them? I was lucky to get 1 on my Cobra and mailed it off weeks ago with some gushing fanmail. They are one of the most important bands in my life afterall

19. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I love these reissues and how well they are done. Also digging all the love here for "Margerine Eclipse"- when it came out I really thought it was a return to form after being a bit underwhelmed by "Cobra" and "Sound Dust"....

rancher and englishbob like this.
  20. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I think it was always longer on the vinyl - like "Blue Milk" they're just using the longer version on all releases going forwards.

Picked mine up from the sorting office this morning and now have to gaze longing at them all day at work!

I've read Gane's sleevenote for ME and found it very moving. Poor Mary, what a horrible way to go. I hope she's jamming and grooving somewhere. RIP.

Max Florian likes this.
  21. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I remember feeling very alone in my enthusiasm for ME at the time - the wind was certainly out of their critical sails by that time. I'm going to work out of sequence and listen to that first as I've never owned it on vinyl.

Max Florian and Trey A like this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Have not played ME yet, but really enjoying the clear vinyl Sound Dust. The organ sounds so good through my tube system. Many "oh yeah" moments... :)

NorthNY Mark and Max Florian like this.
  23. englishbob

ME sounds phenomenal.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  24. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

My shipment showed up yesterday, four days earlier than predicted. Struck out on the Cliffs again. Oh well.
    Playing Sound-Dust now and it’s sounding great.

zerbrechen likes this.
  25. zerbrechen

zerbrechen Well-Known Member

Very much the same; none were winners. Sound-Dust has the slightest seem split along the bottom, alas. ME is perfect. This has been a wonderful reissue series all around though.