Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

The one reissue I found a little harsh was Switched On vol 1. Whereas Mars AQ and Transient Noise... sounded just fine to me. They do come across as edgier than the later albums but that's true to the recordings and the eq seems in balance with that. I didn't buy Emperor TK so can't comment on that one

2. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Just to clarify, was that with the black or clear editions?

3. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I'm still of the view that their early work was their best with Margerine Eclipse a delightful anomaly in their trajectory but I certainly found much more to enjoy in certain albums, especially the full length "Blue Milk" and the first half of "Sound Dust".

Now, if only we could get a decent digital edition of the 91-93 Too Pure releases.

4. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Finally getting around to listening to the last two of these. ME sounds absolutely stunning.
    Yes. Damnit. I never heard back about my issues with ETK and Cobra. Now I have to try to get a response on this one too.

It’s a pity, as they otherwise sound fantastic.

5. dave_p

dave_p Well-Known Member

I got a replacement which had a lot less crackle.
    Do you have the same problem with ME?

6. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

Transient, Mars, Sound Dust, and Margerine are clear editions, and the other three were regular black editions (so no real pattern that I can discern based on the vinyl color).

Devilscucumber likes this.
  7. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I finally heard back from Bleep/Ochre about the double OBI CDs they sent me. They say they will refund me shipping to forward them along. No big deal. But they completely ignored the second part of the email asking about my missing LP sets that never showed up and the tracking number is still in that "still awaiting your parcel" limbo. Lmao... :doh:

8. aerostace

aerostace Under the stairs, beneath the stars

Just finished reading an article by Terry Tolkin that was recently posted on Discogs about signing The Groop to Elektra Records. Terry was Vice President of A&R at the label, having previously worked at Rough Trade, and also founded No. 6 Records. It's a good read >> Stereolab

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    svet_so, Max Florian and rancher like this.
  9. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Thanks, getting set to read right now!

10. svet_so

svet_so Well-Known Member

You guys have me really itching to hear ME now. Haven’t heard it before. My clears should arrive in few days.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  11. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

All clears are in! I started collecting stereolab with ETK, so I have originals from every release starting there until sound dust. Still glad I got the expanded edition clear vinyl versions of everything, and not just the few albums still missing from my collection. I still think the original pressings of dots and loops, cobra and sound dust sound better than the very well done reissues, but I can't quite put my finger on why that is so.

12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have the US Dots & Loops using the Duophonic plates. The remaster is heavier on the bass (still excellent though).

I only have the Elektra single LP issue of Emperor to compare. So the reissue absolutely blows that out of the water.

hamicle and erowid like this.
  13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I didn't really like messing with Mr. Ganes concept but I peeled the stickers off and put the albums into non-PVC sleeves.
    Woah, is that the guy Dean Wareham writes extensively about in "Black Postcards"? Signed many nice bands to Elektra - Afghan Whigs, Luna - but took a huge fall when his building collapsed (not only metaphorically, he actually lost his record collection because of that) and fell from grace with the new guard at Elektra who weren't too fond of his generous use of the company credit card.

TWIMC: "Transient Random Noise" - or do I now have to refer to it as "TRNBWA"? - has made No.3 in Mojos list of "Best Reissues 2019". :righton:

Paul K likes this.
  14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

These reissues are great - I'm just a bit slightly disappointed with the small amount of bonus content for the most recent 2 releases. Glad to get the set though on CD. I think Dots and Loops is the one I revisit the most.

15. octophone

I have to agree - that was the one that benefited most from the reissue programme, followed by "ETK".

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. aerostace

aerostace Under the stairs, beneath the stars

Yep, it's the same guy. Terry confirmed what happened to his record collection (and cats) in a reply in the thread... :cry:

"Unfortunately my apartment building on E.17th St. collapsed while undergoing renovations over the Thanksgiving weekend in 1997 completely obliterating my lifetime record collection of nearly 30,000 items in the ensuing fire and water damage. Even worse, all three of my cats were killed too."

He mentions they produced "some interesting promotional items for every Lab release," so one can only speculate what Stereolab rarities might have been lost.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Neonbeam likes this.
  17. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Yep. A bunch of crackles in “Dear Marge.” And no response yet from Bleep.

18. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

Just wondering if the remaster of Sound Dust is noticeably superior to the old CD?

19. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I only looked at Margerine Eclipse in Audacity and the new one is slightly more peak-limited. I'd say save Sound-Dust unless you want the bonus disk

20. svet_so

Do you say that because of the sonics or the bonus material?

I did think ETK sounded great but I haven’t heard an original Duophonic.

21. octophone

Both. It was my 4th copy of the album and easily the best sounding. I had the gold vinyl from the run that was withdrawn - I took it back to the shop so maybe that doesn't count. The black vinyl LP that followed it was decent. The original CD was muffled and foggy. In this new edition, the album absolutely jumps out and you without sacrificing dynamic. They were always a very "mid" band in the early years, as Gane acknowledges and the remasters do total justice to the sound of that album, that era. Since the series ended, I've doubled down on my view that it is their best end-to-end long-player.

svet_so likes this.
  22. octophone

I wouldn't say so. I had the Elektra CD as I was in Canada when the album was released.

23. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

well, my black vinyl SD and ME have been played strait thru and sound great, and are perfect, pressing wise!

VERY HaPpY!

svet_so likes this.
  24. svet_so

Did not expect to be this impressed by Margerine Eclipse. What an amazing record.

25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

(To avoid confusion: This is about the original "Transient Random Noise")

Did you listen to the gold vinyl? Because after finally getting one, I found out it had the exact same blemishes as the black vinyl I already had. Which surely can't be a coincidence. My theory is that back in 1993 most copies were returned because people mistook the - inbuilt - surface noise for the real deal. I mean... this was before Portishead and "Dummy". Probably should have issued a warning like "Crackling noises ok, do NOT correct!":evil: