Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I absolutely love Outer Bongolia!

Highlight of the album for me.

:)

2. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Hey, it wouldn't do if we were all the same. Part of the fun of Stereolab is that you can have totally opposite opinions to someone else as to what their best work is and still both be massive fans. Not many groups (or should I say "groops"?) like that, eh? :D

realkilroy, Guy E and GordonM like this.
  3. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

A good title for a thread if ever I saw one! I recall being taken aback by Outer Bongolia when I first heard it when it came out (bought unheard as things tended to be back then). 99-01 was a difficult time for Sterolab fans. Expectations were being confounded and it was hard to shake the idea that they were on a downward trajectory. Given another decade or so it has been good to re-evaluate!

Guy E likes this.
  4. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Versions other than the color splatter version are available from Bleep, and the shipping to the US is about $10 cheaper.

5. arem

arem Forum Resident

Count me in the group of Microbe Hunters fans, I really enjoy it. I was bummed when it disappeared from Spotify but I guess that was to make way for this release.

GordonM likes this.
  6. Sherwood SST

Sherwood SST Jazz isn’t dead. It just smells funny.

This is fantastic news! Ordered!

7. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

On Volume 5, maybe?

8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

It's hard for me to imagine a Volume 5. I expected to see more tracks on Volume 4 that were new to me, but I guess that the groop didn't contribute to very many tribute and soundtrack albums in this century. Volume 4 makes all of their remaining tour singles available, starting with The Stereolab Underground is Coming. For people who don't have those, this is an essential addition to the collection. I'll be happy to get digital remasters of the 45's that I did vinyl-transfers of.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only Stereolab fan who views Microbe Hunters as the low point of their career. :laugh: Starting Volume 4 with that EP/mini-album doesn't appeal to me, but it follows the formula established with Aluminum Tunes, which kicked-off with Music For The Amorphous Body Study Center. The difference is, that was an excellent EP/mini-album.

It's been a lot of fun revisiting Stereolab's work in the past couple of years with all the reissues. I was especially happy to finally complete a mix of Nihilist Assault Group Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 AND 6.

GordonM likes this.
  9. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Wot?!? No 'Trippin With The Birds'! :mad:

octophone, vcpj and Guy E like this.
  11. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

Double disappointed because I was too slow for the special editions AND it looks like like it will be the most boring Stereolab release ever, unless the unreleased material is far better than it is likely to be. I guess it's a project that had to be done, though.

12. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Is there somewhere I can go to see the origin of each track on the new comp?

13. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Ordered. Thanks for the heads up!

14. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

ooh damn where's that from? ..... i have a black version that i quite like already ....

GReAT Album!

sorry for the tangent btw

jason202 likes this.
  15. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I didn’t think there would be enough for a 3xLP Volume 4, but I didn’t see them doing the Aluminum Tunes thing of starting it with an out-of-print EP. Martin keeps talking about a Volume 5. All I’m going to say w/r/t that is that Fab Four Suture is out of print.

Snoddywilko likes this.
  16. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

Yes, the product description on the Stereolab website.

jason202 likes this.
  17. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I’m not sure! I have the black version.

18. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Thanks. And to save anyone else the digging, it’s here: The Lab Report - 14-01-2021

19. golobali

golobali Forum Resident

20. octophone

It's an excellent point. Simple Headphone Mind/Trippin' With The Birds" is an outstanding 30 minutes of music. Surely this will be on of the main draws for Vol 5?

93curr likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What about the final albums? Will we see them expanded as well?

22. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It’s hard to say, as they bounced around on different labels for the remaining albums. Could be rights issues, but I don’t know.

23. erowid

erowid Die unerträgliche Leichtigkeit des Seins

Simple Headphone Mind/Trippin' With The Birds needs an reissue on its own, maybe for the next RSD? The unique packaging alone is worth the price of admission. Plus I really can't imagine this weird as hell soundscapes on 33rpm as a part of another Switched On retrospective. This needs to be on 45. I rarely put my original vinyl out of the shelve these days, but when I do, I'm already on acid and those two songs seem to echo on forever in my mind :D

Anyhow, you know what I'm disappointed off? That they left out their Brian Eno cover "St. Elmos Fire"! It's one of my favorite songs ever, and their version is just too beautiful to be left behind and forgotten!

Neonbeam likes this.
  24. octophone

I suppose St Elmo's Fire is "Uilab" rather than Stereolab so it may not be their sole decision as to what happens with it.

Equally, SMH/TWTB is as much a NWW record as a Stereolab one - if you listen to The Long Hair Of Death, you can hear how much of the magic is in Stapleton & co's mixology. I was assuming SMH would be available for Stereolab's use because "Crumb Duck" was on "Refried Ectoplasm" but then, NWW reissued "Crumb Duck" too, adding 3 songs to create an album length sequence.

erowid and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  25. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Anyone know the UPC for the 2CD mirriboard sleeve Electrically Possessed (switched Volume 4)? Is it 5060384618234 or 5060384618241? The online vendors have both but they're not identified between standard and special edition.

EDIT: I just heard back from Warp:
    "The UPC for the 2CD Mirriboard sleeve version is 5060384618234."

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021