Stereophile and related sites Sold: Layoffs have begun.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I thought her video pieces were excellent. The best thing on their site by far.

2. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I think it's sad when anyone loses their job, and I hope all of the laid off folks will find new places they like. I also think the audiophile press staying healthy is good for our hobby, whatever disagreements we might have with various publications or authors.

All that said, I think Jana D.'s videos are a far larger loss than Michael Lavorna's online presence, which in my view provided little of value and was marked by nastiness and condescension.

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

Just did a brief Google and nothing for May 2018. :rolleyes:

M~

4. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I don’t mind reading about $125000 turntables and $16000 cartridges. Same as I don’t mind reading about Ferrari and Lamborghini cars I’ll probably never own. But Stereophile reviews affordable stuff like $4500 amps and speakers etc I might be able to come up with the scratch for. And even more affordable stuff I have purchased based upon reviews of theirs or their reviewers own online sites that aren’t published.

What I as a long time reader and subscriber miss is the old digest sized print format they had up until the mid 1990s. I still have some of those and I still read through them now and again for different reasons. To that end I recently purchased a case or two of 1996 and earlier TAS back issues. Talk about expensive? Back in 1988 I subscribed for a trial of 4 issues and it was $25. A full year back then or 6 bi- monthly issues was $35 if I remember correctly. I just snagged 32 issues I never owned in great condition for $35 lol.

Sneaky Pete and timind like this.
  5. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

Just curious: Did he name those individuals' names? I ask because those writers were named on another forum but reported only as rumors. (I can't get to Herb's FB page.) Thanks.
    -Bob

6. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Just checked Zinio (through my library membership) and while S&V's May 1, 2018 edition is posted, there's nothing for stereophile.

7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Ahhh, I stop reading the print media years ago after I got off the merry go round. Not interested any more in reading someone's reviews, specs of gear, looking at high prices...unless I was looking to buy something which these days is pretty much only cables and tubes. If anything, I looked at the new gear designs. Now if they could make a magazine that would let me HEAR the gear, I'd be interested. But someone's review, not interested because my ears tell me what I like. So keep your white papers and review magazines....I want to listen. That's the best review I can get!

Johnny Wong and H8SLKC like this.
  8. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

Those named as being fired were on Herb Reichert's Facebook page.

tmtomh likes this.
  9. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, specifically named, and then John Atkinson confirmed.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

So first Oppo takes down their tent, now publications that could lead us to a replacement for Oppo, shut down as well ?

Is this The End Of Days ?

11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Jana D and Stereophile have been doing some videos with binaural audio so you can sort of get to hear the gear that is being demoed. Here's one example: A Final Binaural Video Report from CES: DeVore, dCS, D'Agostino

I'm a headphone listener so the binaural is neat. But not the same as being there.

12. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

I can't believe so many people care, Stereophile has been pretty useless for at least the last 20 years.

13. ServingTheMusic

actually, I think that MQA was a factor..they embraced with such zeal, really never seen before in the audio press, and
    experienced unparalleled back lash. They too a hit to their credibility. That costs readers. Of course, I am sure there
    were many other factors like being out of step with changing times etc.

14. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I long ago dropped the other two that I once had subscriptions to, but I still get Shutterbug. That one is about as seat of the pants an operation as it can be for a national US magazine, and it always has been from its start. It's the last remaining uncorrupted photo enthusiast/pro magazine. I hope it does not get changed in any way. It's honest and its ads are just as useful and important, and it does not waste time on $160,000 nonsense. The last Stereophile I bought, for having one article I wanted, also had an article on a $380,000 each (I think I remember because I rightfully forgot, and it might have been TAS anyway) speaker. Suuurrree.

I do glance at them at B&N. Glance at contents, not read or buy.

If anyone remembers Computer Shopper magazine and the Computer Shopper newsprint tabloid before it - that was a child of Shutterbug, not the other way around. Glenn Patch, the founder, handed me a copy of CS #1 at a photo equipment show (I was only a nobody attendee).

S&V is what remains of Stereo Review, which absorbed High Fidelity Magazine, and Audio (Engineering) Magazine, and a dozen other titles. The founders of those would be ashamed. But Shutterbug continues editorially in its original spirit, considering losing its classified ads and many advertisers that have ceased to exist. Sigh it more likely could be killed now.

McLover likes this.
  15. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Why do you think that is? Sheesh.

Shoalcove likes this.
  16. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Not to me.

james, GuinnessDan, soundQman and 9 others like this.
  17. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I have 4 sets of headphones. Denon, Sennheiser, Grado, and a Blur tooth pair. I can get some idea how the sound would be listening through the lapton, but like you said, not the same as being there. Thank you kindly for the link.

18. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

Oh I like Stereophile as much as ever. I truly hope they continue in some capacity.

19. Ham Sandwich

I like AudioStream. One of the things I like is that AudioStream also focuses on digital music recommendations. It's not all gear. I like Bandcamp. AudioStream also likes Bandcamp. I find myself going to AudioStream to find recommendations for music available on Bandcamp. AudioStream has been a reliable resource for me.

I also liked AudioStream's April 1st video. A lot of wisdom in that video.
    Audio Talk with John, Herb, and Mike

Joe Spivey and gov like this.
  20. dadbar

dadbar Forum Resident

Stopped my subscription several years ago. I thought the articles were out of touch with the kinds of things I care about. Couldn't see the point in paying to read about gear I could never afford. I guess they need to do that to attract ad revenue.

21. Ham Sandwich

Here's a binaural listening demo that you need to hear: A Binaural Video Report: the Sound of PS Audio’s IRS Vs

The pipe organ part of that demo would be absolutely AWESOME!!! to hear in person. The binaural isn't going to capture what it was like in the room, but still good enough to make you very jealous for what John Atkinson got to experience. I listened to that video using Audeze LCD-2 Classic headphones, Cavalli Liquid Glass headphone amp, Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC. The bass tickled my chest.

Manimal and Slippers-on like this.
  22. macster

macster Forum Resident

I don't have any idea, do you? Normally I have the next month's issue by now. I've had the April issue since the beginning of March.

Pray tell enlighten me, I'm stupid.

M~

timind likes this.
  23. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Same price as a bad Martini when dining out. And yes, Martini should always be capitalized.

I still enjoy Stereophile, especially for their music reviews that still rate artistic and sound quality.

24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Stereophile was my 'go to' source for audio before the internet. I hope it continues as usual.

25. ServingTheMusic

most viewers on other forums had a very different opinion about that video...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.