Stereophile and related sites Sold: Layoffs have begun.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ServingTheMusic, Apr 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I have been a subscriber for decades and have not seen those. Are they online notices?

2. Metralla

even if you have no interest in the hardware the music reviews are worth $7 per year

3. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

Robert Baird’s work will be missed....

tlainhart and BrokenByAudio like this.
  4. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Except when he trashes Gillian Welch!

5. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident Thread Starter

yes....:D..he had a few missteps...like his posthumous Glen Frey piece..but overall a great tenure...

6. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I thought that was pretty funny, but I can see how the thin skinned could take offense.

7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

The notices are sent to my personal email address.

Scott

8. Metralla

Ah - yes, my old hotmail account. I visit that every three months and delete everything, and there are a lot of emails from Stereophile; but I never read them.

9. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

I concur. Love the recommended albums, the streaming and computer audio-focused approach, and the fact the site has demonstrated a sense of humor about the hobby. Hopefully there is a resurgence of the site as an independent voice like Darko.

10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I've decided not to renew my subscription to TAS, period. Two things: one - it's too elitist, with most of its attention devoted to super-expensive stuff I'm never going to buy even with funds permitting. And two - anything they review is always either "the best you can have in this price range" or "it isn't cheap, but for this level of performance - it is an unbelievable bargain", even if they're talking about a $10K piece of gear. I just wonder, if a $10K piece of gear is a bargain for the level of performance it provides, what are they using for reference - Archangel Gabriel (a/k/a The Voice of God)?

11. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

:thumbsdow not good news. Wish them the best.

12. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Oh no, now where will I go to read about all the products that are "very musically satisfying and just seem to get the music right" while being a "bargain in their price range" and while not being perfect get a "confident recommendation to try"? A nation weeps.

13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Those other forums must be the people who were writing Michael Lavorgna after his listening room tour video telling him in great detail how the acoustics of his barn room sucks based on the audio they heard in the video and the limited view of the room they got to see in the video. I can understand how the humor in his April 1st video hit a little too close to home for those viewers.

14. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I hope the new management will continue to support MQA because it's going to get boring here if they won't.

AudioEnz, Budley and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  15. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I’ve subscribed to S&V as well as Stereophile in order to learn about more affordable gear. It’s where I first heard of Bluesound. Hope they make it, most issues have been less than 100 pages and they only publish 10 times a year.

bluejimbop likes this.
  16. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I do subscribe to Stereophile (the digital version). My current subscription runs out next month. I will renew. But it is disappointing to have AudioStream and Michael Lavorgna dumped from Stereophile. Part of the reason I subscribe to Stereophile is to help support the Stereophile family of web publications including InnerFidelity, AudioStream, and AnalogPlanet. I'd like to think my subscription helps to support those web publications. Over the course of each month I find I end up spending more time and reading more resources on InnerFidelity, AudioStream, and AnalogPlanet than I do reading the Stereophile magazine publication itself. Disappointing to see AudioStream and Michael Lavorgna dumped, because a purpose of my subscription to Stereophile was to support him.

I've also been enjoying the video segments that Stereophile has been doing. If cutting Jana D means these videos stop then that is disappointing.

PhantomStranger, macster and 33na3rd like this.
  17. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I'm amazed it's a UK company buying up these publications. I thought these magazines were more popular in the States than here.

18. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Bring back Corey Greenberg.

mdm08033 likes this.
  19. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I really enjoy reading about audio equipment. I don't care what it is or how much it costs therefore every month I read every audiophile publication I can get my hands on.
    People should read more. They might have a broader point of view if they did.

kronning, soundQman, Agitater and 9 others like this.
  20. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

My subscription to Stereophile magazine runs out next month. Until this gets all sorted out Im staying away from renewing or maybe I should renew? Must think more.
    As an old union guy I feel so bad for good people getting let go. Damn. John M.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  21. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Consumer Reports is good on some things but terrible on Audio gear. They reduce everything to specs and features. When I “upgraded” my original Pioneer integrated amp I based my decision on a Consumer Reports recommendation. The new amp was a dog and one of the worst sounding pieces of gear I ever owned. That made me rethink things.

I started to read Stereophile and the Absolute Sound and I kept reading Audio. I stopped reading Stereo Review/Julian Hirsch and Consumer Reports for Audio gear information.

Consumer Reports was sued by Bose many moons ago and they became gun shy about honestly reviewing stereo gear after that.

Incidently Stereophile has not been as good for a long time this doesn’t look like great news.

McLover likes this.
  22. JohnBal

JohnBal Forum Resident

They should have let John Atkinson go too. They should take the magazine in a new direction. I have been a subscriber for 30 years. I used to appreciate his reviews. However, seeing him embrace and push MQA the way so many have done there, and comment that a very solid DAC was obsolete because it didn't have a modern chip and didn't decode true 24 bit data, I lost all respect for him. Seems to me like he is a sell out. Should have kept Jana and let that weasel go. My 2 cents.

showtaper, sunspot42, apesfan and 7 others like this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

Well, that's 7 minutes of my life wasted. :realmad:

Manimal and Kyhl like this.
  24. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Better than 7 dollars wasted. ;)

Budley, Sneaky Pete and timind like this.
  25. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Agreed. Humor obviously isn't their strength. As far as people from "other forums" taking it personally, they need to get over themselves because this failed attempt at humor works equally well if pointed at this site. I don't think the other forums are special in this regard.

33na3rd and timind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.