Steve: CSG single: It's A Beautiful Morning" question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Do you know if the Rascals' "A Beautiful Morning" is a CSG tape like "Fool On The Hill" by Sergio Mendes & Brazil 66? I never liked the sound of it, and it sounds kind of "diffuse" to me. Is there a true mono mix of it out there?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

It is indeed run through the dreaded Compatible Stereo Generator, just like WHITE ROOM by Cream, it's the one and only mix. What WERE they thinking back then to do that? Urggh...

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

So both "White Room" and "Fool On The Hill" were both CSG processed but left in mono? Wasn't CSG developed to enable mono radio stations to play stereo mixes without phase problems? Why bother making a mono mix "compatible" with a mono board?

4. Steve Hoffman

Left in mono? How do you mean? Those songs were mixed in stereo. The mono versions are fold-downs. Why they bothered I do not know.

5. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

CSG (Compatible Stereo Generator) seemed like a great idea at the time it was developed (mid-'60s), but didn't work out. All too often, CSG made stereo records sound sh**ty on both mono and stereo phonographs.

6. Steve Hoffman

Heh, ya think?

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

OK, folded down to mono, although I think the UK single of "White Room" was a dedicated mono mix, was it not?

8. Steve Hoffman

I'm not aware of any dedicated mono mix of anything from WHEELS OF FIRE. Every version, even the edited 45 mix was originally derived from the stereo LP mixes.. Unlike GEARS of course..

9. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Was the original mix of the first Neil Young album (the one Neil insisted they remix shortly after it's release) CSG?

10. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Now whilst Atlantic (in the case of "A Beautiful Morning") at the time used cutterheads from HAECO (Holzer Audio Engineering Co., which is responsible for foisting the controversial "CSG" unto all of us), the copies of that 45 that were subcontracted to Columbia's mighty pressing operation used lacquers that Columbia's New York studios cut themselves -- and I.I.N.M., Columbia at the time used Westrex and/or Ortofon stereo cutterheads. I wonder, those of you out there who have different pressings, if any of you could tell the difference between the Columbia-pressed copies and those from, say, Monarch or Specialty Records Corp., in the sonic department.

11. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Well, the picture sleeve for the 45 had the CSG logo printed right on it, so all copies probably were.

12. W.B.

Although I doubt that, when originally sold, Columbia contract pressings had the picture sleeve.

Furthermore, on 45's in the next year that had the "CSG Processed Mono Master" notice on the label, such language was conspicuously absent from Columbia contract pressings of Atlantic singles - perhaps an indication of Columbia's cutting their own lacquers?

13. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

If I may please ask a question which shows my ignorance, what did the Compatible Stereo Generator do?

14. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Piss off Steve to no end! :D

15. W.B.

Let me try to put in my $.02. Listening through phase-cancellation, HAECO-CSG's sounded like crystal-clear mono (i.e. no silence) . . . which reminds me of the way in which old Edison 78's were cut, e.g. vertically instead of laterally. (And I know, I have two such uber-thick Edison releases . . . including a song called "Homeward Bound" which preceded the Simon & Garfunkel classic of the same title by nearly five decades - but was by no means the same song, yet rather was about the aspirations of World War I 'doughboys'.) Stereo, the sonic quality at times had an effect which reminded me of some sides cut at RCA's infamous Hollywood studios at the time (that is, hollow).

16. Steve Hoffman

17. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks Steve.

18. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

A couple of other common CSG atrocities are the stereo mixes of "I've Gotta Be Me" by Sammy Davis,Jr. and "Turn Around, Look At Me" by The Vogues.

19. Steve Hoffman

Yup. I had to use that CSG Sammy Davis, Jr. song on my DCC comp.

Boy that process stinks. Geez, imagine using one of those mixes on a project and then maximizing and No-Noising it? Worst case ever!

20. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Steve, do you know if existing "pure" stereo mixes could have also been CSG'd? I ask because in that other thread you posted the link to here, one of the CSG'd albums listed is Sergio Mendes and Brazil '66 Greatest Hits. For something like that, would they just CSG the existing mixes for the songs that weren't mixed with CSG to begin with (say the material on there NOT from Fool On the Hill in this case), or would they have had to do new mixes for those previously non-CSG songs for the hits album?

21. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Nope, folded. The stereo edit of "White Room" did turn up on the 1969 comp BEST OF CREAM, but hasn't been floating around much since.

:ed:

22. Steve Hoffman

By the way, that stereo edit of WHITE ROOM was cut directly on the master tape. When they were done using it they put the spliced out pieces back in and put the song back on the WHEELS OF FIRE master reel. :eek:

23. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

That was the first version I ever heard of "White Room", when I borrowed my uncle's Best Of Cream album in the early 80's. I was quite shocked when I heard it on the radio a few years later and it had that "extra" verse... In fact, I'm still having a hard time getting used to the long version.

24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

:bigeek:

:ed:

25. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

This question has haunted me too. In addition to Sergio's GREATEST HITS, several other artists had entries in that series, Baja Marimba Band, Sandpipers, Wes Montgomery. They're all CSG'ed too, yet contain songs from non-CSG'ed albums.

Later too, in the '70s, A&M continued to release CSG'ed versions of songs on 45s, when the stock versions and album releases were not CSG'ed. Curiouser and curioser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.