Steve, final word on the Zeppelin CDs yet???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I also prefer the remasters however I also think that the Classic LP's are the last word on LZ and many don't like them either. I have given up all hope of finding Mint UK originals for comparison, so the Classic will be it.

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

No you are not! I love the remasters. My father had all the originals, so I listened to those for years. I bought the remasters when they first came out and I was impressed.

My only complaint was the packaging. Those green and red Atlantic discs are ugly. I was hoping for a picture disc and some deluxe packaging (new liner notes, pictures etc.)

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Does ITTOD remaster have all 6 covers? I have the Complete Studio box and it has it so I was wondering if they included that in the separate CD.

4. Matt

Matt New Member

Which of the old CD's (if any) used the original tapes?

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

That's exactly what I meant.

6. Reginald

Reginald New Member

That is kinda the problem. The quotes I've read from Jimmy are that many of the original cd's used 2nd, 3ed or worse gen tapes away from the original mixed down masters. I've not seen any definitive answers on which releases came from what gen tapes, however. The original Atlantic cd releases were quick and dirty with the emphasis on getting them to the market quickly and no effort put into trying to locate a low gen tape. A classic example of a shoddy job by a record company.

7. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I still think the original Houses of the Holy CD sounds better than the remaster, regardless of what generation the tape was. The remaster sounds too harsh to me.

8. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

What do you think about the remaster to Led Zeppelin III? I think the remaster is far superior to the original.

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The remasters are the best sounding CDs to purchase.
    Always loved the original vinyl pressings the most, especially Physical Graffitti.

I'm all for the original MCA and Mercury CDs but I thought the WEA catalog definitely needed something done.
    The remasters of the CSN, Yes, Genesis, Bad Company and Zeppelin in the mid 90's were vast improvements from the original CDs.

Joe

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You forgot to say "in my opinion". :)

11. bartels76

I agree.

12. Kym

Kym Former Resident

I had the original III CD, but I don't remember what it sounded like. :sigh:

13. bartels76

All the orginals sounded dirty to me, not in a good way.
    I will not buy these again if they come out remasted unless there are bonus tracks on each one with unreleased live or studio material.

14. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Led Zeppelin III really stands out when you compare it to the original. I don't think I could ever listen to the original disc again.

15. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

On this forum? You're dreaming!:laugh:

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have both originals and remasters of the Zep stuff in my collection. I just keep the ones I'm happy with. I did the same with the Billy Joel and Elton John stuff too.

Why keep all old, or get all new? Do both!

17. pigmode

pigmode Active Member

What a snakepit. Vinyl must be the answer...

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I have always found LZ4 to be the worst sounding of all the earlier albums - the drum sound in particular is very poor. Cymbals get louder well after they have been hit and there appear to be lots of drop-outs throughout the recording. The whole album sounds muddy to me.
    I am just now retrieving the broken teeth from the extremely crappy disc clamps used in HTWWW. Same thing happened with the Fragile remaster. The discs are impossible to get on/off the clamp without lots of force and the teeth start shedding. :realmad:

19. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I really hate when that happens! I take lots of care to find a copy on the shelf that is the least worn. I shake it to listen for a loose disc, or broken teeth. Sometimes even that isn't enough.

20. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Neither of these started with broken teeth - they broke because of the extremely tight fitand lack of "give" that the clamp has.

21. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

HUH?

22. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

If you can find a copy of the promotional 3CD Led Zep set put out by Warner-Chappell on e-bay, I'd recommend you buy it. The remastering is a big improvement over the commercial remasters. Unfortunately the set was limited to 2,500 copies, and the last one I saw for auction went for over $200. Still, for hardcore Zep fans like me it is pure heaven.

23. krabapple

krabapple New Member

But who says you're not still getting an EQ'd issue? If the 'flat' transfer is of a production master tape -- as is reportedly teh case for the first Zep issues --, than you're hearing EQ that had been applied to a copy of the master tape in order to make it sound good on vinyl (or cassette).

24. krabapple

krabapple New Member

You forgot to add 'in my opinion' :rolleyes:

25. krabapple

krabapple New Member

Did you try pressing down on the 'clamp' as you lift the disc up? That takes tension off the perimeter of the clamp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.