Steve Gibbons Band from Birmingham England, recommendations please

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manicpopthrill, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

It is a great album. Some of his other albums are also good, but not quite as.

I saw the Steve Gibbons Band open for The Who in the fall of '75. The concert was in Paris and it took place in a livestock pavilion with straw on the floor and bleachers on the sides. The SG Band was very good, but Parisian audiences had little tolerance for opening acts. Men on the general admission floor were routinely pulling down their trousers and shooting the moon a the stage. And I'm not talking about a few guys... I'll bet 40 or 50 people did that. It was pretty funny.

I arrived in NYC in the summer of '76 and started hanging out at CBGB. Sometime during that year I saw Steve Gibbons standing at the bar. I said "hello" and told him I was a fan. He smiled. Then I told him about my memory of the Paris show back in '75 and he smiled again, shaking his head slightly. He was nice, but I don't think he actually said anything to me in response... another funny memory.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    manicpopthrill likes this.
  2. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I couldn't remember this band for the life of me but had a picture of their 1st album cover in my head. Now 2 threads pop back up that I see today to jog my memory.

3. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm on a Steve Gibbons kick lately. Wish the guy had recorded more studio albums, but at least he put out a ton of live albums. The man hired some terrific players to tour with him.

4. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

He's a great live act, well he was last saw him about 15 years ago. As others have said, Caught in the Act, Any Road Up, Down in the Bunker, On the Loose - all good stuff...

5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I saw them in the Incognito Club in Birmingham before they recorded.

Steve still appears live from time to time, mainly in the Birmingham area
    Steve Gibbons Band Gig Guide

Info on Steve's 1960s group, The Uglys -
    The Uglys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.