Steve Hackett announces Foxtrot At Fifty tour dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Dec 7, 2021.

1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

HackettSongs - Steve Hackett's Official Music Website

7th December 2021:
    Hot on the heels of his most successful solo tour ever, Steve Hackett announces his Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited - Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights tour for 2022. The tour will mark the 50th anniversary of the legendary Genesis album Foxtrot which, in 1972, was pivotal in establishing the band as a major force in British rock. Tickets are available from 10am on Friday 10th December via myticket.co.uk.

Guitarist Steve Hackett joined Genesis in 1971, making his band debut on the Nursery Cryme album which enjoyed a greater commercial success in Europe than the UK. After extensive touring, the band were encouraged, by audience reactions, to further experiment with ever longer compositions and develop their ability to incorporate strong narratives. This, in turn, allowed frontman Peter Gabriel more opportunity to indulge in the theatrics which helped to raise the band's profile.

"I think Foxtrot was a terrific achievement for Genesis at that time," says Steve Hackett. "I think there is not one weak track on the album, they all have their strong points and I'm really looking forward to doing the whole album live."

Foxtrot was critically acclaimed and became the first Genesis album to make the UK album charts. The first track, the sci-fi influenced Watcher of the Skies became a fan favourite and perennial live set opener while Get 'Em Out By Friday was a cutting slice of social comment about concrete tower blocks replacing aging slums, driven not by concern for communities but by the greed of developers.

Hackett was the lead writer of Can-Utility and the Coastliners, featuring some particularly strong musical ideas, and also contributed his classically-inspired solo piece Horizons. "The original version was a rough mix but there was something about it. A rough monitor mix can have things that something more considered won't necessarily possess. I liked the sound of the rough mix, so we went with that."

The album's highlight was the 23-minute epic Supper's Ready which remains a concert favourite and featured on Hackett's recent Seconds Out tour. "'Supper's Ready' was a sojourn, an odyssey and something that goes down very, very well with audiences now." Hackett adds. "As part of 'Second's Out' I've been playing the whole of that again, it really has stood the test of time."

"We were a young, struggling band at that time. By the time we were doing 'Foxtrot', the band was becoming more ambitious. 'Foxtrot' is a must for fans of the early Genesis work. Fifty years ago? It doesn't feel like those ideas are fifty years old because it was-genre defining, rather than following trends. It still sounds current, now."

The Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited - Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights tour also promises more Genesis favourites and highlights from Hackett's extensive solo catalogue.

Steve Hackett and his touring line-up of Roger King (keyboards), Jonas Reingold (bass, backing vocals), Nad Sylvan (vocals), Rob Townsend (saxophone, flutes, additional keyboards) and Craig Blundell (drums) have recently completed the 31-date Genesis Revisited Seconds Out + More UK tour plus additional European dates. Hackett's most successful ever solo tour, this tour sold out most of the dates and received stunning reviews:
    "raising the audience fever to near delirium... celebrating what has been an imperious performance... We're a lucky bunch of fans to have Steve Hackett on this form." Prog Magazine

"Hackett has certainly pulled together a world class ensemble of musicians befitting a guitarist of his stature... Breathtaking stuff". MetalExpressRadio.com

"this is definitely your 'go-to-gig' of 2021" ***** MMH Radio

"What a fantastic performance and night's entertainment" Brighton and Hove News

"When the sun sets on 2021... this show will be right at the top of the list" 10/10 Maximum Volume Music

"Pure class from start to finish" Yorkshire Times

[​IMG]

2. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Senior Member

That is cool. As long as he does the Seconds Out performance when I see him in April 2022.

ponkine likes this.
  3. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Given Foxtrot only runs for 52mins, that gives him a lot of time to also do his solo material and other Genesis material.

4. Jim Sheridan

Jim Sheridan Forum Resident

It will be terrific. Obviously, Steve has already been doing "Supper's Ready" (and Horizons) regularly, so that is not the big news. Hearing him do "Can Utility" and "Time Table" is where it's at.

We just saw The Musical Box for about the 10th time, and they are always amazing. This particular tour by TMB offers songs like "Looking for Someone," "Stagnation," and "Can Utility," ones that I have heard far less than "Firth of Fifth" etc., and it was SO great to be reminded of the many pleasures of those songs. Plus, no matter how wonderful those songs can be on my stereo, there is nothing like being in the audience for a loud band with Taurus bass pedals!!!!

The "Foxtrot at 50" will likewise be a delight.

5. ponkine

'Can Utility' appears on his 'Total Experience: Live in Liverpool' 2016 album. 'Get 'Em Out By Friday' is also included

'Time Table' is the only Foxtrot song Steve hasn't performed with the Genesis Revisited band

Anyway, hearing Foxtrot in full must be such awe-inspiring experience

TwiceFan, NoRoboGuy and Rufus rag like this.
  6. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

I might go as probably my favourite Genesis album.

ponkine likes this.
  7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

No one is flying the Genesis legacy flag better than Steve Hackett. I'll make an effort to see this tour if it happens to hit the USA.

8. Vic333

Vic333 Forum Resident

Haven't even caught his Second's Out show yet, and here I am looking forward to his next one.

9. Catbird

Catbird Forum Resident

Choo-****ing-choo!
    All aboard the Hackett express!
    Ticket for one please, sir!

Saw the ‘Seconds Out’ tour in Dundee in October, which was great, so more than ready for this.

apb, hi_watt and ponkine like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I have tickets for the Seconds Out show in Boston in April. I'll be all over a Foxtrot show if there's a US tour and Steve hits the Boston area. I went to see The Musical Box a few weeks ago in Boston. It was a great show! During the show I couldn't think of the name of the Genesis album with the fox on the cover. My friend I was with who is a huge Genesis fan looked at me like I was an idiot and she said "Foxtrot!":rolleyes:.

Rufus rag likes this.
  11. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I noticed that Pete Townshend liked Steve's Instagram post this week that featured his (Steve)'s Mum visiting. Musical worlds in collision.

Rufus rag and hi_watt like this.
  12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Seems likely that the US gets Seconds Out this coming spring, Foxtrot the following one.

Am I the only one though that really wants to hear him play a Steve Hackett album? Any of the first four will do fine. (Yes, he did Spectral Mornings, but skipped over a few tracks).

13. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

No you're not, I would be much more keen to see a Steve Hackett show where he played mostly his own solo material from 4 and a half decades to choose from. And I agree he could mine great material from Defector. Some of the 21st century albums like Out of the Tunnel's mouth or Wild Orchids are very strong. I get a little disappointed at the relentless reinvention of the material from 1971-77 and yet another anniversary coming around. And no one loves the classic 5 man era Genesis more than me. But we all know he won't sell out big venues without Genesis on the poster.

Runicen, drds89, bRETT and 2 others like this.
  14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I like the shows where the first half is mostly solo material and the 2nd half a genesis set

ponkine and Zongadude like this.
  15. ponkine

From the all Genesis Revisted tours since 2013

2013-2015: Genesis Revisited. Genesis 1970-1977 setlists
    2016: Wolflight Tour. First half: Solo. Second half: Genesis
    2017: Wind & Wuthering/ The Night Siren tour. First half: Solo. Second half: Genesis
    2018: Tour de Force. First half: Solo. Second half: Genesis
    2019: Selling England & Spectral Mornings: First half: Solo. Second half: Genesis
    2021: Seconds Out: First quarter: Solo. Remaining 3/4 of the show: Genesis

So, other than the 2013-2015 tour, nearly all of his subsequent tours have featured half of solo material, with the exception of Seconds Out, which included 3/4 of the show devoted to the classic double LP

Next year will be first half: Solo. Second half: Foxtrot

drds89 and craigobau like this.
  16. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

Fair comment and I accept that a first half solo, 2nd half Genesis is a fair compromise, but he's been doing Genesis material long before 2013. Live Rails has 6 substantial Genesis cuts on the 2nd disc (Tokyo Tapes has a similar number). Back then hearing a full blown Firth of Fifth or Blood on the Rooftops was a fun treat. Hearing Rob Townsend blast soprano saxophone over Genesis classics for the umpteenth time is just not my cup of tea. To each his own.

Re the list, wasn't there also a short tour with orchestra (I remember going in 2018?) in the middle of that lot that was mostly Genesis? And Seconds Out shows, I just checked a bootleg recording, the first half SH solo material is 38 minutes and the Genesis set is nearly 2 hours.

But I didn't come here for an argument (£5 for the full half hour) as any Steve deserves a respectful listen.

Rufus rag and LivingForever like this.
  17. Future Nostalgia

Future Nostalgia Host of Sending Signals podcast

Steve returns to my podcast Sending Signals again this week to talk about the tour and progress on his next album. You can find it on all the usual podcasty places. Let me know what you think!

Acoustic Warrior and Rufus rag like this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If anyone is interested I have an extra ticket for tonight's show in Boston at the Wilbur theater. It's free... hate to see it go to waste. Last minute for sure but PM me if you can go.

Rufus rag likes this.
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Thanks for making the offer. I bought my ticket back in October.

Rufus rag and Bill Mac like this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Enjoy the show! I’m in section H row 3 seats 1&2.

Rufus rag and bRETT like this.
  21. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Townsend puts me off also! He needs to take a back seat!

The Slipperman and MikeF63 like this.
  22. Jim Sheridan

Jim Sheridan Forum Resident

Well, I caught the Hackett show last night in Ridgefield CT, and it was a corker. Opening set was "Clocks," new song "Held in the Shadows," "Every Day," new song "The Devil's Cathedral" (Nad on vox), and "Shadow of the Hierophaunt." Despite being short, the set RIPPED. Steve's playing was fluid, aggressive, uncliched - he coaxed every sound imaginable out of the guitar, and the band was whipcrack tight. Steve's volume was perfect; his sound was 3D. It is impressive how much more of a blazing lead guitarist he is than he was back with Genesis.

This was my 5th Hackett tour in a row, the 5th tour in which there was a set of solo Steve and then a set of Genesis. At the other show, I enjoyed the solo set but the payoff was the beloved Genesis set. This time was different; I thought that the solo stuff was so powerful and Steve was so on that it was a shame when he had to slip back into his more supportive playing on the Genesis material. It felt like a real drop in intensity.

On the solo song "Held in the Shadows," the duelling with Rob T was INSANE.

anth67, ponkine, drds89 and 2 others like this.
  23. ponkine

Steve and his band have started the 'Foxtrot at 50' tour

*SPOILER*

He did play a certain song included on 'Genesis Live' that was originally recorded before he joined the band

:edthumbs:

anth67 and Anthrax like this.
  24. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

US dates announced and he's coming back to my town so you can bet I'm going to be there front and center. "Foxtrot" is one of my top 3 favorite albums of all time by anyone so this is the show for me.

25. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Oh that's so cool ! :)