Steve Hoffman Mastering masterpieces!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EQlibrium, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Looks Like I may just have to break down and buy a"No Cover" copy of McCartney!

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Dreamboat Annie--Heart
    24 Karat Gold in a Bottle--Jim Croce
    Band on the Run--McCartney/Wings
    Ringo--Ringo Starr

3. Evan

Evan Senior Member

The DCC Ray Charles "Uh Huh; His Greatest Hits" rates pretty high in my book. I think Steve used tubes when he mastered it. Great set!! Some of Steve's best work.

4. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

The three most dramatic Steve induced improved CDs(IMO)

Bill Evans Portrait in Jazz, i'm sure it took a lot of work to make that into the wonderful final DCC CD we enjoy.

The end result of the DCC McCartney, was mindblowing compared to all previous issues.

and previous issues of Dylan's Highway 61 (vinyl and CD) don't come within a light-year of the Steve version.

5. SAMAUL

SAMAUL Senior Member

All the DOORS title
    Roy Orbison - GH
    Elvis Presley- Elvis is back
    Eagles-GH

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Doors - Elvis - Nat King Cole - Joni Mitchell - Heart - Jethro Tull

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

PM me Ron...

8. Michael

No other comes close...Steve's magic again.:)

9. Michael

Missed DCC GOLD...Made In Japan, Red Octopus and No Dice...Any comments?

10. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I have Red Octopus. Pretty darn good!

11. Michael

Thanks! I really like "Miracles".:)

12. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Elvis Presley /24 Karat Hits

McCartney

Nat King Cole/ Love Is The Thing

Ray Charles/Ingredients In A Recipe For Soul

13. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

If you follow the suggestions here you can't go wrong - but then, you can't go wrong with any of Steve's work. True, there are some silver discs that do not sound absolutely perfect, but Steve was not allowed to devote the time and attention to some of these releases that he lavished on the DCC golds, all of which were mastered using tubes. (Most of the silver discs were not.)

Definitetly pick up a copy of Who's Next (silver). It is readily available from Canada for under $10. And the truth is, you can't go wrong with ANY of the DCC golds or the new SACDs. I suggest you just pick up whatever DCC golds you can find at a decent price. They are ALL EXCELLENT. Music for a Song has a few cut-outs @$10.00, and I think either Acoustic Sounds or MusicDirect has a few titles @$15.00. You won't find most of what has been mentioned here at those prices, but it's a good way to get your feet wet with the Hoffman Experience without shelling out big bucks.

If you're looking to compare Steve's work with that of others, I suggest you just pick up a cross-section of the cheap DCC golds and give them a listen. I think that after listening to just one or two titles (whatever you choose) you'll find that Steve is able to impart a realism and magic to music that previously has only been available via vinyl on extremely high end systems (The only other company that has ever come close is MFSL.) Steve calls that magic "the breath of life" and that is what it is.

There ARE other engineers that are very good, and who knows - if Ludwig or a few others were ever given the time and opportunity to be as fanatic about getting the absolute best sound possible out of the master tapes as Steve is, and had access to a state of the art tube console, maybe their work would sound as good as Steve's. Unfortunately, most of the other good engineers work for the majors on some level, and they have to work within those confines. The bottom line is, Steve DOESN'T have to answer to the labels (He would probably drive them crazy if he did) and as far as I know, ever since the begining of DCC, Steve has demanded as close to perfection as possible from his own work - something almost no one else has the luxury of doing. It DOES make a difference. And he can get sounds out of his tube equipment you can NEVER get from solid-state.

Like I said, you can't go wrong with any of the DCC golds - just buy some of the cheaper titles and give them a listen. Even if you don't think you'll like the music, what can you lose at $10 each??? You might find (as I did) that some styles of music you weren't particularly interested in are MESMERIZING when given the Hoffman treatment. (I was never much of a jazz fan until I discovered SH.)

But be forewarned - you also might find (as I did) that you become a Hoffman addict. And most of the DCC golds can't be had for cheap, and even most of the new SACDs go for $25 a pop. (I've spent close to $2000 on my Hoffman addiction since I discovered this site earlier this year - and it was worth every penny.)

14. Elton

Elton I Hope Being Helpful, Will Make Me Look Cool

Elvis Presley-24Kt Hits, Nat King Cole-Love is the Thing, Elton John-Greatest Hits, Eagles-Greatest Hits and Hotel California, These are a few of the titles that go from "amazing" to "in the room" that we all strive to experience. :cool:

Steve is cool!:D

15. Michael

The Coolest!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.