Steve Jobs was an audiophile

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Baron Von Talbot, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

my thoughts exactly.

2. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I just recently saw a photo of Jobs from the 80s sitting in presumably his living room - EDIT: oops, post #13

3. Claude

Claude Senior Member

4. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Cost-benefit analysis of millions of units...most of the production costs of an Ipod are in the screen and the drive...

Sennheiser doesn't have the production capacity on that scale.

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

6. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I was actually talking about the music store but I agree. If you are interested in sound quality it's easy to rip your music at and put lossless files on your iPod. For the majority of users however, quality probably doesn't matter. That's probably why they got rid of the Wolfson DAC, most users didn't care.

Chad

7. Steve Jobs has been well known as an audiophile for decades. This isn't news. Witness the photo posted earlier in the thread.

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm a little scared myself when I look at him. :yikes:

9. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

When the ipod was introduced, 128 was an absolute must from a standpoint of actually downloading from the itunes store. Everything since then can be described as path dependence.

10. Exactly. That photo is famous. Case closed.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The new iPod Classic is not bad on sound quality. It's not as open as my 5G but quite good, especially when attached to my portable ALO amp.

I'm hopeful that as bandwidth improves, higher rez files will show up. One force fighting that is that consumers get too comfy with "good enough" ALAC, etc. But if there is a market why wouldn't Apple want to do it...?

12. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

that work right out the box without any fiddling.

13. Jobs was an audiophile long enough to pose for the picture and that's it. :winkgrin:

Stereos, cars, planes... clearly didn't hold his interest much except as tools. All he really focused on was making seamless technology. If he cared about audio he would have a heavy duty system in every place he dwelled and gone to many more concerts, because he clearly had the money.

That's what my scratch and sniff says.

14. Claude

Claude Senior Member

The way he poses on that picture, in an empty living room with just the stereo set on the floor, makes it rather look like a Yuppie housewarming gift ;)

15. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Was he not a hippie ?
    'Imagine' his mantra
    No possesions

As for Apple Sound quality, the drivers are OK, just needs a decent pair of Senny Cans.
    Apple lossless is fine
    Tunes, a marvelous cataloging device
    My Kuro tele has no speakers...

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Wonder if that was one of the very few WAMM systems? David Wilson used them with spectral amps in the early mid 80s IIRC

17. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Quick google, he owned a pair of X1 Grand Slamms

http://www.lammindustries.com/INTERVIE/boston globe.html

From the article circa- 2000

18. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I think the term "audiophile" has all kinda meanings really.

Some its listening to music, some its obsessions over equipment, some its simply huge speakers, some its spending a lot, some its good sound and practical amounts spent. I dont think there is no such thing as simply an "audiophile"

19. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

Good point. I also think that it's silly to use the SQ of the iPod earbuds as an indicator of whether or not Steve Jobs was an audiophile.

20. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

It's a ridiculous notion to pass adverse comment on the quality of the earphone accessory that comes with the iPod as evidence of anything other than it looks and sounds like a cheap earphone.
    I would have preferred the iPod was without such an accessory and saved 25 cents but wasn't too put out by its inclusion. I would not have bought an iPod if it had forced me to buy another expensive earphone as part of the package.

21. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Forum Resident

To me it has always meant "caring about the reproduction of music and sound" with no further conditions or clarifications. It's not necessarily or exclusively about equipment, or room, or money, or ears, or any of the other qualifications that often bandied about. It's more of a philosophy, a way of thinking and approaching how you listen to and enjoy music, the specifics of which can only be specific to you.

Which is why marketing terms like "audiophile grade" drive me nuts, because it's impossible to qualify or quantify in such a fashion.

22. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

Steve Jobs was an audiophile, no argument there. But was he a toob guy or solid state? Inquiring minds want to know.

23. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

Why the guy obsessed over every detail of every product. If he cared about sound quality he would have included better earbuds.

Hagi likes this.
  24. phish

phish Jack Your Body

i've got a time magazine special that shows him sitting in the middle of an empty room with a bunch of records aroung him and some type of audiophile turntable set up on the background. i don't have the picture with me at work or i'd scan it.

25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

That photo shows a Mitchell Gyrodec turntable, a Threshold or Klyne preamp, and Acoustat speakers. I can't tell what else he's got in there. The Acoustats are self-powered, so maybe the device under the preamp is a tuner?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.