Steve, Ray Charles Question....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nivek29, Oct 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nivek29

nivek29 New Member Thread Starter

Ray Charles' "Live In Concert" has never been reissued on CD. Recorded live in 64 by Wally Heider, the sound is INCREDIBLE. Plus, this classic LP IS NOT marred by the strings and orchestrations that characterized much of his 60's output!

This is a classic date, worthy of audiophile treatment. (Recorded by the same guy who recorded Wes Montgomery's "Full House.")

Any chance of this one seeing the light of day? To give you an idea of the quality of the performances and recording, a couple of tracks from this LP are on the 1988 Rhino "Anthology"--What'd I Say, I Got A Woman, and Hallelujah I Love Her So.

Below is the AMG review.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Artist Ray Charles
    Album Title Live in Concert
    Date of Release Jan 1965 (release)
    AMG Rating
    Genre Rock
    Styles Soul, R&B
    Type live
    Library View Click here to see this album in MARC format
    Product Purchase Click here to buy posters

AMG EXPERT REVIEW: This classic 1964 recording by Ray Charles includes 12 vintage tracks performed to perfection. His voice is in great shape, and the recording by Wally Heider is a marvel for its day; all the instruments are placed nicely with Charles' voice out front where it belongs. There's a slinky version of "Hallelujah I Love Her So," the musicians creating nice little changes behind Charles' soulful nuances. The singer tells us Miss Lillian Ford of the Raelets "helps out" on "Don't Set Me Free"; it's a duet and a nice change of pace. Rick Ward's tacky liner notes fail to say who is backing up the singer at The Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, except for David "Fathead" Newman credited with the tenor solo on "Swing a Little Taste," the opening track. Not to be confused with the 1973 re-release Ray Charles Live, which is comprised of 1958 and 1959 concerts, this album is called Live in Concert, and is Charles in Los Angeles after a Japanese tour in 1964. "What I'd Say" and a nice version of "Margie" are here, along with a six-minute take on "I Gotta Woman." For the finale he has the Ray Charles Choir come out to help close the show with a marching-band version of "Pop Goes the Weasel." The 12 tracks are priceless Ray Charles, especially the reinvention of "You Don't Know Me," stirringly different from his timeless hit version but just as impressive. Excellent photos by Ray Hearne, especially the cover profile. — Joe Viglione

1. Opening (Charles) - 0:35
    2. I Gotta Woman (Charles) - 6:10
    3. Margie (Conrad/Robinson) - 2:39
    4. You Don't Know Me (Arnold/Walker) - 3:14
    5. Hide nor Hair (Mayfield) - 2:57
    6. Baby Don't You Cry (Johnson) - 2:35
    7. Makin' Whoopee (Donaldson/Kahn) - 6:17
    8. Hallelujah I Love Her So (Charles) - 2:55
    9. Don't Set Me Free (James/Jones) - 3:58
    10. What I'd Say (Charles) - 4:30
    11. Finale - 1:55

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The actual concert recording is actually twice as long as the LP. It's neat, but I doubt at this point Ray is interested in restoring the entire thing.....

3. nivek29

nivek29 New Member Thread Starter

why not?

why has he neglected this title for reissue?

it's a gem.

imagine hearing the whole concert!!!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ray doesn't think it's his best work. So, since he owns his catalog, it just sits.

That's show-biz!

5. WVK

WVK Forum Resident

I recall the a "DJ" on WNEW in NY pointing out (sometime in the
    late 60s) that this album was proof that live concert recordings, of that era, could sound good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.