Steve Vai - Appreciation and Album thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Feb 4, 2020.

1. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The LP and CD mixes are so completely different, it's almost like two separate albums. You need both.

mark winstanley likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Is it one of the albums Frank mixed in two different ways?
    I think it was the original Ryko's he mixed differently when they remastered them, and then the 2012's were released as originally intended ... or something along those lines

3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

The Man from Utopia

4. mark winstanley

Cheers. I was under the impression that they had issued the 2012's all as originally intended, but I guess not. I know with Sleep Dirt, I love the original version, I'm not a big fan of the original Ryko remix with the vocals. The 2012 is really good.
    That's a shame

5. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I've never heard the original mix. There's some good music on Man From Utopia but I don't listen to it much. But I have played it more that Drowning Witch. I usually listen to the DW title tune on YCDTOSA Vol 3.

6. mark winstanley

That's the composite version from the 81 and 83 bands yea?
    I love that series.

7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Some of the 2012 CDs reverted back to old masters. Not all of them.

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That live Drowning Witch is a hoot.

The album version is brilliant too, though, and the way it comes together with Envelopes makes for a really great pair. Try it!

9. StarThrower62

It seems a bit easier to process, and both solos are great. The version on the album sounds more wild and abstract especially in the solo section. But re-listening to some of the six volume live series, a number of recordings sound awful bright and painful to my ears.

10. mark winstanley

Cheers, I didn't realise that

11. Fonz

Fonz Forum Resident

I struggle to really enjoy SATLTSADW and TMFU.
    The ‘side 1’ tracks on ‘Ship...’ have a horrible sound/production to my ears, and tbh, I hadn’t realised it was a Estrada singing on ICFN. That doesn’t help!
    I need to spend more time with side 2.

I don’t like anything about TMFU, including the cover. I don’t say that to be contrary, but the observation that it makes FZ look like Nugent is a good one. I just don’t think there are any good songs on the album, and there are some really bad ones.

sorry Frank. Sorry Steve.

12. mark winstanley

It's all good mate. We like what we like

13. mark winstanley

"Cocaine Decisions"

[​IMG]
    Single by Frank Zappa
    from the album The Man from Utopia
    B-side
    "SEX"
    Released 1982
    Format 7"
    Recorded 1982
    Genre Jazz-rock, comedy rock
    Length 2:56
    Label Barking Pumpkin
    Songwriter(s) Frank Zappa
    Producer(s) Frank Zappa

I have always loved this song. It was rare for Zappa to do a straight up serious song, and this gets pretty close to being that. The only sign of Zappa's sarcasm is the tone of his delivery.
    In the eighties there was a huge cocaine problem the world over, and even as a recreational drug user for many years (though just weed) it really isn't a good idea for people to be making important decisions while wasted.
    I really like the feel of the song, we have this smooth bounce going on, and the harmonica adds some really nice colour to the song.
    The pulsing bass propels us forward, and the keyboard has a pretty cool sound and works really well in fleshing out the chords.
    This is a pretty straight song, but often it is the straight song that gives the more radical stuff something to balance off against.
    I like the instrumental section, and the piano arpeggios are very cool.
    So, yea, I really like this song, and I think it opens this album really well.

14. mark winstanley

The Dangerous Kitchen
    This is one of Zappa's meltdown vocals, and it is really enhanced by Vai's pretty remarkable job of following the vocal with his guitar.
    We have a somewhat understated backing, but when listening closely, particularly the percussion is really well done.
    I always liked the lyrics, although they may be somewhat silly, they really do a good job of reflecting what it is like dealing with cleaning up a nasty kitchen.
    I can understand someone not enjoying this, but I personally have always loved it.

15. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Cocaine Decisions is a winner, as far as I'm concerned. It's a serious and powerful lyric, and one can't help but agreeing. My favourite part is the "I don't wanna know..." refrain, how it builds up to "I learn to hate it every minute". I love the way Frank delivers the verses, but I think that refrain might've benefited from more vocal power, blending in Ike and Ray the way he'd done with so many songs on You Are What You Is.

The Dangerous Kitchen is fun, but I prefer the live versions. I believe the vinyl mix of this one features the original live bass and drums that were re-recorded for the CD mix.

16. mark winstanley

Good observation. I will never complain about Ray White singing, great voice

17. mark winstanley

Tink Walks Amok
    This track kind of reminds me of Rubber Shirt from Sheik Yerbouti, it is very different, but the bass player, not Scott Thunes gets to play around and make a quirky instrumental.
    I would be interested if someone can tell me.... it sounds like two basses. Is that the case?
    Anyway, I like the feel of this, though it is somewhat melodically minimal it has a really nice rhythmic feel, and in parts where I feel it may be getting a little dull we always seem to move on to something that gives it a little more interest.
    Not Zappa's best track, but I actually like it, and it works as another flavour in the smorgasbord.
    Interestingly I noticed yesterday that my version is in a different running order.

coffeetime likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

The Radio Is Broken
    I actually love it when Frank gets weird on us, it again, for me, keeps things interesting.
    This track seems like an obvious continuation of the Cheepnis idea or B movies and the fun you can have with them.
    We have Frank, and who I presume to be Roy Estrada having run alternating vocals, complete with laughter to show they aren't taking this altogether too seriously.
    At the end of each section we get this really cool guitar riff/line, that I assume is Vai, and it sounds really cool to me. It is also interesting that the bass here seems to be a sort of My Sharona type thing, and I always wonder when Zappa does this kind of thing, whether I am missing some internal joke, of which there always seem to be many.
    The whole song hinges on getting the sarcasm that is involved in the lyrics .... They Need To Reproduce.... with John Agar ....
    Anyway, again this isn't my favourite Zappa track, but damn it makes me chuckle, and I certainly couldn't say I don't like it, because I do.

coffeetime likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

Steve Vai - a rough history
    The JEM guitar
    Interview
    Talking about Zappa
    Some guitar techniques

Stevie's Spanking with Zappa 1981

May 1981 Tinseltown Rebellion
    Fine Girl
    Easy Meat
    For The Young Sophisticate
    Love Of My Life
    Ain't Got No Heart
    Panty rap, Tell me you love me, Now You See it now You don't, Dance Contest, Blue Light, Tinseltown Rebellion, Pick Me I'm clean
    Bamboozeld By Love, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Peaches 3

1981 - Shut Up And Play Yer guitar - Frank Zappa Guitar Book

sept 1981 You Are What You Is

Teenage Wind
    Harder Than Your Husband
    Doreen, Goblin Girl, Theme From the 3rd movement of sinister footwear
    Society Pages, I'm A beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain
    Charlies enormous mouth, Any Downers, Conehead, You Are What You Is
    You Are What You Is - video
    Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Dumb All Over
    Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, Drafted Again

NYC Palladium 1981

May 1982 Ship Arriving Too Late to Save A Drowning Witch
    No Not Now
    Valley Girl
    I Come From Nowhere
    Drowning Witch
    Envelopes
    Teenage Prostitute

Mar 1983 Man From Utopia
    Cocaine Decisions
    The Dangerous Kitchen
    Tink Walks Amok
    The Radio Is Broken

1984 Flex-able + leftovers
    Little Green Men
    Viv Woman
    Lovers Are Crazy
    Salamanders In The Sun
    Boy/Girl Song
    The Attitude Song
    Call It Sleep
    Junkie
    Bill's Private Parts
    Next Stop Earth
    There's Something Dead In Here

with David Lee Roth -
    Big Trouble

The Crossroads dual

For The Love Of God -live with the Metropole Orchestra

20. StarThrower62

I watched The Torture Never Stops DVD last night. That band had amazing discipline and chops. Almost the entire set list segued with not one moment for the musicians to take a break for even a few seconds. Vai was mostly in the background playing his parts which really added a lot of spice a character to the music. If I remember correctly, this show was broadcast on MTV back in the day. Even though much of the set list is not among my Zappa favorites, it is still great to listen to such an amazing band. Everybody in that '81 ensemble is phenomenal.

21. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Tink Walks Amok features Arthur Barrow on multi-tracked basses, yes. Very enjoyable piece.

The Radio Is Broken is very funny until about halfway through. I think it goes on a bit too long. Sounds like Frank coming up with stuff and Roy reacting to it and some of those lines do crack me up.

22. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The Torture Never Stops is a combination of the early and late Oct 31 NYC shows. The MTV broadcast was entirely from the late show.

23. Django

Django Forum Resident

This seems to more of a Frank Zappa appreciation thread.

24. StarThrower62

It's too bad Sinister Footwear didn't make the DVD.

25. StarThrower62

We're at the early stage of Vai's career which was spent in Zappa's band.