Steve Vai - Appreciation and Album thread *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Feb 4, 2020.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

In France
    I have always loved this, in no short part to Johnny Guitar Watson's vocals.... I honestly don't know how someone from France would feel about.
    This is a cool kind of blues groove. This is another variation on the fifties thing, and has a really cool blues vibe about it.

2. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

This song was originally performed to the tune of 'In Cars' by Gary Numan during the mid-1980's European tour.

mark winstanley likes this.
  3. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

We laugh hard !
    We have a good sense of humor, you know ;)

4. mark winstanley

Steve Vai - a rough history
    The JEM guitar
    Interview
    Talking about Zappa
    Some guitar techniques

Stevie's Spanking with Zappa 1981

May 1981 Zappa Tinseltown Rebellion
    Fine Girl
    Easy Meat
    For The Young Sophisticate
    Love Of My Life
    Ain't Got No Heart
    Panty rap, Tell me you love me, Now You See it now You don't, Dance Contest, Blue Light, Tinseltown Rebellion, Pick Me I'm clean
    Bamboozeld By Love, Brown Shoes Don't Make It, Peaches 3

1981 - Shut Up And Play Yer guitar - Frank Zappa Guitar Book

sept 1981 Zappa You Are What You Is

Teenage Wind
    Harder Than Your Husband
    Doreen, Goblin Girl, Theme From the 3rd movement of sinister footwear
    Society Pages, I'm A beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain
    Charlies enormous mouth, Any Downers, Conehead, You Are What You Is
    You Are What You Is - video
    Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Dumb All Over
    Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, Drafted Again

NYC Palladium 1981 - with Zappa

May 1982 Zappa Ship Arriving Too Late to Save A Drowning Witch
    No Not Now
    Valley Girl
    I Come From Nowhere
    Drowning Witch
    Envelopes
    Teenage Prostitute

Mar 1983 Zappa Man From Utopia
    Cocaine Decisions
    The Dangerous Kitchen
    Tink Walks Amok
    The Radio Is Broken
    Moggio
    The Man From Utopia Meets Mary Lou
    Stick Together
    Sex
    Jazz Discharge Party Hats
    We Are Not Alone

Jan 1984 Zappa Flex-able + leftovers
    Little Green Men
    Viv Woman
    Lovers Are Crazy
    Salamanders In The Sun
    Boy/Girl Song
    The Attitude Song
    Call It Sleep
    Junkie
    Bill's Private Parts
    Next Stop Earth
    There's Something Dead In Here

Oct 1984 Alcatrazz - Power Live dvd

Oct 1984 Zappa - Them Or Us

The Closer You Are
    In France

with David Lee Roth -
    Big Trouble

The Crossroads dual

For The Love Of God -live with the Metropole Orchestra

5. mark winstanley

Good to hear. There are a lot of sensitive types around these days :)

6. mark winstanley

I never knew that. Thanks for the info

7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Yep! Absolutely. Big favourite.

8. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

An album I tend to overlook and not play much for no good reason - every time I get reacquainted I find it's got lots of good stuff and I enjoy it top to bottom!

9. mark winstanley

Ya Hozna
    This is great. I have loved it since I first heard it. We have a solid rock backing track with a layering of reversed vocals from older tracks. Those tracks are, Sofa, Lonely Little Girl and Valley Girl.
    It has this eerie, otherworldly sound to it, the Sofa sections are particularly awesome.
    The lead break by Vai is sensational, and came about by Zappa cueing Vai to play a solo to a completely different song, then chopping it out, and putting it in here.
    The track has a hypnotic effect, and suppose some may not like it, but I reckon it is great.
    This is just another wonderful piece of diversity from this crazy and wonderful Zappa album.

10. mark winstanley

Sharleena
    This is a great redo of a much older Zappa track from the relatively early years. The arrangement is wonderful and it works really well for me.
    Here we actually get a young Dweezil tearing up the fretboard.

11. Fonz

Fonz Forum Resident

Yes, this is brilliant. The drumming deserves a special mention.
    Steve really tears it up. Does anyone know what song he was originally soloing on?

12. mark winstanley

All I know is it was a soundcheck

13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Like Lumpy Gravy, I love Ya Hozna and I don't really know why.

14. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The lead solo is also a backwards recording. You need to play this song in reverse to hear it.

15. Fonz

Fonz Forum Resident

I never realised the solo was backwards too!
    This thread is great. I’m discovering stuff all the time.
    Hitting a real Zappa roll!

16. mark winstanley

Sinister Footwear II
    Here we get one of Zappa's instrumentals.
    We start with a nice drum fill that moves into a series of nice melodic keyboard phrases, that are gentle and move nicely through some subtle changes. This dirty guitar comes in and then we move into a series of sections punctuated by percussion and it moves into this somewhat classical reflection, with the dancing piano in the back, and the guitar moaning and grumbling. This gives way to some keyboard arpeggios, and then guitar riff plays against that.
    We burst into a lead break proper, and for me it is never a bad thing to hear Zappa burst into a lead break. I seriously imagine Vai watching Zappa's every move when he went into a lead break, because I know I would have.
    We move again into the piano section, augmented with some synth behind it. Then we get some more Mann on percussion doubled with synth.
    This track is in a line of tracks the was part of what was originally part of a suite, called if I remember rightly the Poodle suite, that goes back at least to the Flo and Eddie days. I am not sure if this was part of it, or just an offshoot. We also have some conceptual continuity from Stinkfoot and such also. The whole Zappa catalog is a strange and interbred series of ideas that move forward and look back at the same time, and even just that is a really interesting thing to me.
    In terms of this track on this album, it is just another really interesting change of colour that keeps this album really interesting for me.

17. mark winstanley

Here is a live version from the 1981 Halloween show. It shows more clearly what is going on and who is doing it.

18. mark winstanley

Truck Driver Divorce
    This is a bizarre track, that is part country tune, part meltdown vocal, part instrumental entertainment. We have a lyrical conceptual continuity link to No Not Now, from Drowning Witch.
    Essentially I looked at a lot of these types of tracks a a good way of putting one of Frank's live solo's that he liked onto an album in the context of a song.
    We get a fair bit of Frank's tapping, which was generally done by bouncing the pick off the fretboard further down the neck....
    In the context of the album, it is strange ina way, Zappa gives Steve and Dweezil a couple of lead breaks , and then throws in side two, as almost, "That's nice guys, but I'm the boss" lol

19. mark winstanley

Stevie's Spanking
    This is actually quite remarkable in a lot of ways. Although Zappa often referred to band members and tour managers etc in his songs, to memory it was extremely rare, if ever that Zappa dedicated whole songs to one of his band members.... Miles David doing the track John Mclaughlin comes to mind as a similar situation, in obviously a completely different band, but no matter the subject matter of the lyrics, it is quite an honour to have someone like Zappa dedicate a whole song to you, and in my mind at least, seems to be a huge show of respect for Vai.
    Obviously we get a great Vai lead break. This is followed by Dweezil taking a lead as well.
    The song is one of Zappa's humourous smutty songs. with lots of interesting little sections that really make it a a very cool track on this album.... again of another flavour, which keeps this album so interesting to me.

20. mark winstanley

This is an edit as such that goes straight to the meat. It is from Rome, Italy and we get Zappa and Vai taking turns at making the fretboard explode, and then coming together for a dual overload that is just excellent, and as a guitarist I love that.

Jam757 likes this.
  21. mark winstanley

Baby Take Your Teeth Out
    Maybe I'm childish but I always found this hilarious. This track is kind of a variation on the doo-wop with a bit of pop, and bounces along in a joyous, dancing vibe, until we get to the instrumental bridge that adds colour to the track and makes the track something more again. This isn't The Grand Wazoo, but I love it anyway :)

22. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Sinister Footwear and Truck Driver Divorce both get huge thumbs up from me, though for different reasons. String beans to Utah, I say.

And yes indeed, Stevie's Spanking is not just fun and an excuse to rock out and go crazy on the fretboard, it's also Zappa's nod to Vai in Frank's own inimitable way and that adds further value. Plus, I can't imagine higher kudos than Frank Zappa giving you a guitar solo spot on his album. Special mention to Bobby Martin's splendid vocal, and much respect to the hair brush, banana, zucchini, vibrato bar, umbrella, etc., that sacrificed themselves for the world to have this song.

23. mark winstanley

Yes indeed, completely slipped my mind.

LOL

24. Fonz

Fonz Forum Resident

That video clip from Rome is so inspirational. Steve make everything look effortless. Of course, we’re used to that now, but this is nearly 40 years ago!

is there a tab anywhere?

25. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I've loved Vai since his DLR days, and I think he gets lumped in with shredder guitarists, when he is in fact more of a composer. That is how he got his 'in' with Zappa - charting songs - and that shows in his more recent recorded work.

That said, I prefer his band-based playing. I find his later instrumental work a bit more esoteric and harder to sit through. Both Passion & Warfare and Fire Garden are great albums that I can enjoy fully , but his other ones are tough for me. I like a challenging listen, but I think some of this stuff just doesn't connect with me.

But his work on both DLR albums, with Whitesnake, and with the Vai band were all terrific. That is the Vai that I love. He plays for the song there - which I feel his mentor Joe Satriani always does even on instrumental work.

He also was alwasy a terrific role model for young musicians, appreciative of everything he accomplished, and respectful to those who helped him get there. He never ever seemed to have an ego.