Steve, what are your thoughts on HDCD? (Asked in reference to upcoming gold CDs.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Nov 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

That is not relly true. No downsapling is required. When an HDCD encoded disc is played back on a non-HDCD equipped decoder the data are decoded as standard CD audio data. Since the HDCD "codes" are in the least significant bit, as previously stated, only about 5% of the time, they usually do not effect the sound. The LSB is generally used for dither, anyway.

2. PMC7027

Steve,
    If the AF Gold CDs are going to be HDCD encoded, where does the new AF A/D converter fit into the picture? Are you going to take the output of the AF A/D and feed it into the Pacific Microsonics HDCD processor? Isn't the Pacific Microsonics model One (and Two for that matter) capable of taking in analog and puting out an HDCD encoded red book data stream?

3. BWilli

BWilli Member

If this thread was in anyway an impetus to any of the new AF gold disc's being released in HDCD..........Well KeithH the drinks are on me!!!!

4. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

'When an HDCD encoded disc is played back on a non-HDCD equipped decoder.. '

Wait.. I thought Windows Media Player WAS HDCD equipped? :confused:

5. PMC7027

You're correct. I wasn't thinking about the Windows Media Player. I don't "do" music on my PC. I'm a nut, I carry a Sony SACD changer back and forth to work and listen via Stax headphones.

6. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Version 9 is HDCD-equipped since the HDCD tag comes on whenever an encoded disc is played. The latest version, version 10, apparently doesn't have such capability. See post #180 on the head-fi.org HDCD list.

7. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't either. It's just this once, to see if I notice any difference(s).

8. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I think the new AF converter is a modified Pacific Micro converter...? Steve said, at the time, that he was bypassing the HDCD encoding...? Or something.

Well, I'm glad they're going to be HDCD encoded now. It means I'll have to buy a new CD player. :)

9. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Steve:

Just so I understand clearly what you're saying. When you say that the playback of the gold disks without decoding will be "neutral," I assume you mean that there will be nothing degraded about the redbook playback as far as your standards are concerned, but also that the disks will sound even better when played back with HDCD decoding? In other words, when I buy one of these and play it back on a non-HDCD player, I'll still be getting the best regular redbook mastering you can offer, just as would have been the case had you not used HDCD, but that the disk will sound even better on and HDCD compatible machine.

Does that sound like a fair paraphrase?

Very much looking forward to that Faces disk, whatever form it comes in!

Thanks,

L.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You will be getting the best Redbook playback, yes. You will really like these discs, trust me.

11. PMC7027

Make 'em all HDCD, Steve!!!!

12. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Thanks, I'll take a look. Not that I want a cd player with compressed, spitty high end mind you. :whistle: ;)

13. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Gotcha! I'm looking forward to them, especially the Faces disk!

L.

14. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Version 10 does have the hdcd filter, it's just very inconsistent in being activated.

15. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Double shot of Herradura Silver Tequila, with a chimney of soda & a slice, back!

16. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Hmm. Does the HDCD tag show up when it's activated? Is it possible to force activation?

I tried to play a Joni Mitchell HDCD-encoded disc in Media Player 10 and it said nothing about HDCD being activated. Not a great-sounding disc to begin with, but I was hoping it would sound better decoded. Or was it being decoded, and WMP just wasn't telling me so?

17. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I have been a negative poster in regards to HDCD . And based upon what I have heard, rightfully so IMO. But, having heard SMILE. I am 100% convinced that in the right hands, HDCD can be neutral. (ie transparent) The Neil Young disc, will not as transparent as I like. Is also another indication that HDCD can be a benefit to redbook mastering.
    ....Nothing further to add on HDCD.

18. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I like to know too.

19. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

reb,
    I like too applaud, your open mind/ears!

Pacific Microsoft (sic), did their best to improve upon 16/44.1. And HDCD CD players have improved the sound of redbook playback. Butt, it sure didn't hit a homerun, with releases. Or, in Steve's mind, with mastering equipment.

20. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Well, this has indeed been an interesting thread; I'm happy to hear that Steve is going to remaster the new Audio Fidelity reissues as HDCD encoded discs. I would probably buy them anyway just because the tonmeister extraordinaire has laid his omnificent hands upon their aging masters thus imparting that indefatigable breath of life, but this just provides added juice for my purchase.

I must say that I've been in the camp of HDCD advocates for some time, just as I've been an avid supporter of SACD. While I agree with those who've stated that HDCD doesn't always improve sound, (i.e., because it depends as much upon the source as well as the mastering), there are some stellar examples of HDCD encoded discs worth investigating. For instance, the Mk.III import King Crimson releases from a few years ago, like Larks Tongue..., Starless..., Red, and USA; also, the aforementioned Doors set and Steve Miller band. These HDCD encoded discs are superior to their CD counterparts, IMHO. How much of this has to do with the remastering and generation of tapes employed in the mastering process one can only speculate, but they do open up and have greater instrument definition and spacial depth, at least to my ears, than most other CDs in my collection.

So, it looks like my my belt-drive HDCD player (Parasound C/DP Ultra 2000) will be getting more of a workout now than it has since I've been purchasing SACDs! :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Anyone knows about Super HDCD 24 bit? I found the markings on my multi-channel hybrid SACD of "Autumn Moon Over A Placid Lake" from First Impression Music.

[​IMG]

Currently, the lowest major brand HDCD-capable player is Panasonic's F87 DVD-A changer @ approximately $120.00.

22. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I think Sony is not so happy with HDCD or Super HDCD. Remember, they have SBM Direct for the redbook layer.

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I don't feel that these are really competitors. As you know, SBM Direct is their way of pulling down DSD tapes to the Redbook standard with an accurate mathematical transformation. I think that if they wanted to use HDCD, they could pay the licencing fee and bolt in HDCD encoding with SBM.

24. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

You´re right, but, "accurate mathematical transformation" means a way of giving more info (music) on a redbook layer, similar of what HDCD plans to do. I´m right?

25. PMC7027

SBM is Sony's Super Bit Mapping process. It is a means of dithering low level redbook signals to allow low level information to be recovered from the "noise" inherent in very low level signal encoding.

SBM Direct is a means where a DSD signal is converted to a redbook SBM signal digitally. SBM is usually applied when during the A/D process. SBM Direct does this digitally.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.