Steve Wilson "never much of a fan of Genesis"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bobcat, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know some people here, unhappy as they are with the current Genesis remixes, were hoping Steve Wilson would one day sprinkle his fairy dust on the Genesis catalogue but that seems highly unlikely given this statement posted today on his Facebook page:

"This time last year I was asked to create a 5.1 mix of the classic mid 80's number one album "Misplaced Childhood" by my buddies Marillion, and I'm happy to hear this mix will now be included on blu-ray as part of a special 5 disc deluxe edition, scheduled for 9th July on Parlophone. Also included is a remix of B-side "Lady Nina", in both stereo and 5.1 (the main album remix only appears in 5.1 form). I understand Parlophone / Warner Music Group plan to issue all 8 of the bands EMI era albums in similar form, but please note that I won't be doing 5.1 mixes for all these, alas I simply don't have the time, but I do have the tapes for Brave, and plan to do that one when I can (if you know the album I'm sure you'll agree with me that it should sound pretty epic in surround if I don't mess it up!)

Not everyone will be aware of my history with Marillion. The short version is that in 1980 when I was 12 years old, completely by chance I attended their first ever concert at the Berkhamstead Civic Centre, literally only a few miles from where I was growing up in Hemel Hempstead. I went along with some friends to see local punk band The Chiltern Volcanos, who we were told were sharing the bill with a band called Marilyn (sic). Anyway, needless to say I loved what "Marilyn" were doing, and from then on started to follow their progress (only Steve Rothery remains from the band I saw that evening). Often compared to Genesis, I personally think they quickly outgrew the comparison and were more successful in incorporating a natural pop sensibility into their progressive rock stylings than the former band (whom I have never been much of a fan anyway, despite loving the solo work of Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel). This reached a peak on Misplaced Childhood, which despite being a 40 minute long conceptual work, spawned several hit singles, including mega-hit Kayleigh. It's also my opinion that the album features some of the finest rock lyrics ever written. If you plan to pick it up I really hope you enjoy the 5.1 interpretation!"

2. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Can't wait to surround myself with Marilyn's Misplaced Childhood :p

3. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I'm among those who hate the Genesis remixes, and having SW take a crack at redoing the Gabriel era albums would be my SW remix holy grail, but I always thought it was a long shot for him to do them simply because it seems that the band are happy with the remixes. I always thought though that SW would jump at the chance if offered. I always assumed that he had to be a Gabriel era Genesis fan, but clearly he's not.

4. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

No other mixers/remixers exist in the world. Only Steven Wilson. Sigh. :/

5. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Steven Wilson should do the Thotch & Brian Pern back catalogue.

6. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

For someone who isn't a fan he sure leaned hard on 'The Musical Box' when writing 'The Watchmaker'! :p

7. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Why don't we have a Steven Wilson emoji that people can just post every time any rock band is mentioned? :)

bizmopeen, kwadguy, noahjld and 10 others like this.
  8. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Sounds like someone has a case of the grumpsies.

9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I doubt he'd have the opportunity to remix any Genesis albums in the first place, so his views of the band are way down on the "why it'll never happen" list.

Xabby, Bananas&blow, izgoblin and 2 others like this.
  10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Bummer that he's not much of a Genesis fan. I had hoped someday he'd want/get a crack at remixing them.

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Because Genesis don't like money.

Oh, wait.

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

If the original mixes were properly remastered, I'd be quite satisfied, but it's not going to happen, I guess. Anyway, I must admit I'm OK with the 94 remasters and some older CD's.

13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Don't own any Genesis, I was never much of a fan.

:hide:

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I just think that Tony Banks is too much of a control freak to let someone else come in and tinker with the old albums.

15. CybrKhatru

Probably true.

16. teag

teag Forum Resident

I love his Tull remasters.

Now I know I agree with him on Genesis.

17. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I always thought the Grundman era Classic Records reissues sounded fantastic...same with the Genesis reissues.

CybrKhatru likes this.
  18. CybrKhatru

They do... I managed to snag a couple, thankfully.

19. Well....there's also Nick Davis.:D

This is where my taste and Steve Wilson's seriously deviate. He likes Marillion more than Genesis? Yikes!:winkgrin:

20. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

They do. I have them all, but I have to say, the quality control on the pressings is not great. Several of mine have surface noise and clicks and pops. I even bought 3 copies of SEBTP hoping for a clean copy and never found one.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

He and I are certainly in agreement on Genesis, even though I have Nursery Cryme and Selling England By The Pound in my vinyl collection (I was coerced into buying them by a friend that's a Genesis freak). I could never really get into their music, with or without Gabriel.

Jack likes this.
  22. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Never heard anything this Wilson fellow has done, but he obviously has excellent taste. Maybe I should investigate his work.

Natvecal., siveld, JoeF. and 2 others like this.
  23. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Prog rock is not for everyone.

Xabby likes this.
  24. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

And yet I adore Soft Machine, Tull, Crimson & Van Der Graff Generator.

Perhaps it's Genesis that's not for everyone?

I will at least give the two records another spin before I trade them in for (probably very little) store credit.

25. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I love love love Genesis (one of my top 3 favorite artists) and I'm not really a huge fan of any other progressive rock bands, though I do like some albums and songs by most of them. I'd say what makes Genesis different from other prog bands, and this has been covered in other threads, is the fact that they were always a song-based band rather than an instrumental virtuosity-based band. That includes during their most progressive era. They were all great players, but they always played in service of the overall composition, rather than writing compositions in service of their playing.

I've never heard anything by Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree or any of his remixes so I can't comment on his work. That's fine if he doesn't like Genesis. We can't all like the same things.

Xabby, Gardo, Bewaremylove and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.