Steven Spielberg's "Ready Player One" - March 30, 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

With the caveat that I actually enjoy 3D films a lot, I do recommend people who are in for some of the nostalgia or pop culture references in Ready Player One opt for 3D. I went to see the IMAX 3D release.

The quest that takes the characters inside another film is fascinating to watch in 3D. The live action conversion is done with care and the scenes you would expect to pop in 3D (virtual worlds, computer data overlays, etc.) look great.

Old Rusty and Ghostworld like this.
  2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Got some tickets for tomorrow....

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Saw this last night on a crummy bootleg copy, with almost inaudible sound - nevertheless, I was stunned!

I’ll be heading over to Alamo Drafthouse asap!!!!

SuntoryTime likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well I wasn’t going to go, but cool 3D is a draw for me! Thanks!

minerwerks likes this.
  5. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Just saw it; a fun ride on the big screen and some nice 3D-effects. No masterpiece but a nice mix between Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory and Inception, some fine Spielbergesque humour and darker undertones.

6. Went and saw 'RPO' last night in 3-D. Do yourself a favor & go see this movie on the big-screen. Just to sit there & watch it in 3-D is worth the price of admission.

7. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Just came home from seeing it with my daughters. I had already braced myself to be underwhelmed due to its known issues with veering from the source material (which I loved but admittedly don't nearly recall as well as I thought I did). That being said I thoroughly enjoyed it. And to add a certain kismet of sorts.... I watched a particular flick with my girls this last weekend (first time they saw it) and it made a rather entertaining section of the flick all that much better.

8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've never read the book, so I had no expectations going in. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my wife.

John K.

9. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Loved it until the end.

Then I didn't understand IOI or the main "baddy" at all, and the one-too-many endings was a little to Return of the King for me.

The Kubrick section was unexpected for sure.

10. I enjoyed it but it was basically a dystopian "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory".

That was cool but I wasn't surprised given how big a Kubrick fan Spielberg is.

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I loved the book and enjoyed the movie.

Worth seeing on the big screen...

SuntoryTime likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    SuntoryTime likes this.
  13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Saw it this afternoon and really liked it. I think 3D is absolutely essential here. There were a few seemingly over sentimental moments, not sure if those were in the novel or if that's just Spielberg. But I enjoyed this more than anything he's done since "Munich".

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Just saw it and had a good time. The ten minutes of the Overlook Hotel digitally recreated were worth the price of admission alone!!

See it "Shining" fans!

Well made film that I didn't know was going to be 80% CGI but it was top notch CGI (lots of action but easy to follow and clean -- I guess "well directed"). A fun visual treat. I was prepared to overloaded with game characters and pop references as people have been say, but that idea is just silly. It wasn't out of control (or product placement laden) like other comedies I've seen. Just the right tone, not too scary of too "kid." And just made for this planet of gamers. But as I said above. Thanks, Steven and Stanley! I loved it!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  15. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

I'm looking forward to getting this on BluRay, wont be able to help myself looking for the hidden easter eggs in the movie :)

I'm sure I spotted a Mayor Goldie Wilson poster in there, must be loads of other little odd bits lying around.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

It's brilliant. It's fun. It looks great in 3D and if it doesn't put a smile on your face if you're a certain age, you need to give your head a wobble.

Old Rusty likes this.
  17. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I, myself, can't wait for the websites to pop up about all the little asides and easter eggs. I'm too lazy to find them myself.

I saw that Aetch owns a TARDIS, though.

18. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Theres a few pages already, quick Google will bring them up.

that garage though had allsorts, Battlestar Galactica fighter (Viper?), Winnebego from Spaceballs, ED209 to name a few

19. agentalbert

I didn't see a Viper. The model the kid held up was a Battlestar. But maybe there was a Viper sitting in the back somewhere.

20. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

21. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

22. agentalbert

Ahh, you're right. Definitely a Viper back there! Cool. I plan to go see it again next week, and maybe I can spot more of those things.

23. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I saw this movie yesterday and thought it was entertaining, but not much more than that. It’s a fun adventure movie to see on the big screen, but not something I’d ever really want to see again. The fact that it’s derivative by nature and childish at times makes for some cringeworthy moments. I’m normally not a fan of CGI, especially when it’s overused, but I thought the CGI action was better in this movie than in most. Overall, it’s a fun, entertaining movie if you don’t take it too seriously.

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

My favorite of those was the theater playing Jack Slater IV - the fake movie in The Last Action Hero.

minerwerks and rich100 like this.
  25. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Watched it Sunday evening with my Son. Bloody brilliant. Excellent escapism film. Visually stunning and a story line much deeper than it looks on the surface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.