Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 26, 2019.

1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

To me, his finest ever band for his solo albums were the Raven line up, With

- Guthrie Govan
    - Nick Beggs
    - Adam Holzman
    - Marco Minnemann
    - Theo Travis

If he could reunite that line up, it would be heaven on earth

:righton:

Too bad that there's no official album from that band! Only bits and pieces on 'Drive Home'
    Pretty sure the full Frankfurt concert does exist. Both on audio and video

2. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I prefer the musicians he used on Hand Cannot Erase .

bobloblaw likes this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I liked Insurgentes quite a bit, but I didn't love it, and I rarely re-visit it anymore. Meanwhile, the last four SW solo albums still get regular rotation in my CD player.

For sure. Whatever he does, you just know it will be good!

4. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I loved Insurgentes greatly. I took a chance on it as I may have only heard a few snippets. But once I listened to it, then it became non stop hooked on it that I was amazed that I didn’t wear out the CD.

To this day I still pull out the CD and play it.

The other albums are amazing as well in their own way as they are all different.

That is what I like about SW, he is always changing that we have no clue what he will do next.

My guess it that this album will be psychedelic space rock. Just a guess

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  5. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Are you talking about the early psych porcupine tree albums or insurgents ?

Just for clarity.

For me his whole catalogue has some gems in it, more hits than misses

LivingForever likes this.
  6. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

His only really good solo records are Hand.Cannot.Erase. (brilliant) and Insurgentes (very good). The others have moments (title song to Raven for example), but pale in comparison with Stupid Dream - Fear PT.

Aggie87, Murph and pinktree1 like this.
  7. trickness

trickness Gotta painful yellow headache

I’ve been a fan for about 12 years, seen PT & SW multiple times. For me, The Raven tour was a total snooze - overplaying at every turn. Uptight. Actually left before it ended, something I never did before or since. I get how some want him to return to the PT thing, either the proggy or the metal era. But for me the appeal of SW (or PT) is great songwriting. To The Bone has incredible songs on it, and the gigs were fun. I personally don’t care who’s playing on the record, or the style, so long as he puts the songs first. That’s what makes him great, not the shredding.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Because of his recent work on the Tangerine Dream 5.1, I could see it. It often seems like SW is influenced by whatever past works he is working on remixing and whatnot, like how To the Bone had the 80's influence of artists like XTC and Tears for Fears after having worked on 5.1's for them.

Very true. I know some were bummed that MM and GG departed from his band after the HCE album/tour, but Steven Wilson's music has always been about songwriting and mood, not technical playing.

LivingForever and trickness like this.
  9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I loved To The Bone, I hope there is more where that came from! My favorite solo album of his tied with Raven

10. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

It would be really cool if it ends up being very kraut-vintage-electro inspired, especially considering his latest work with Tangerine Dream.

11. Seagull

Seagull Seabird flavour member

He's done kraut rock as IEM.
    Much space rock in the early PT albums which were basically SW solo albums anyway.

A new No Man album would be good. Tim Bowness' last few albums have been terrific (SW did contribute to the latest one).

abor1g and Rufus rag like this.
  12. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

From Wilson New Year Update from 5 months ago:

"In the meantime the first new no-man music in more than 10 years is likely to be released in 2019. Myself and Tim Bowness have been working sporadically on a particular musical idea we came up with many years ago, something we knew would require a dedicated full length album to explore properly. We finally made a concerted effort to get it into shape earlier this year, and with one more push I hope it will soon be ready to release. It’s music that in many ways sees a return to our roots as a synth-pop band, albeit with the conceptual sweep of our more recent albums."

Musicisthebest likes this.
  13. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I have everything SW recorded until the last album which I hated and didn't buy.
    It will be interesting to hear the next direction he is taking, maybe I will like, maybe not :confused:

14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Expect less guitars, and a more electronic sound.

15. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

REALLY hope he won't do a Thom Yorke

I'd rather see him doing a Steve Hillage or Ashra/Manuel Gottsching.

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I hope SW will not replace the drummer with electronic drums or whatever.

17. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

:tsk:

18. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I hope SW does whatever the heck he wants to do.

I especially hope he doesn’t pander to whatever some Prog fans think he *should* be doing.

19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Maybe I wouldn't rule out a vintage drum machine on a track or two.

20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

If it were a choice between Marco Minnemann or a drum machine, I think I’d pick the robot. I’m not a fan of Mean Mr Cinnamon’s in-your-face “look what I can do with this song” style of drumming.

21. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

What are you talking about, Erick? Is there really a new mix? I've searched, and the only thing I can find on this forum is this "hopes and dreams" list from last year.

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No new mix, but a corrected 5.1 and a new stereo mastering.

Erick Haight and Blastproof like this.
  23. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

I'm genuinely surprised at the comments regarding 'To the Bone' - I absolutely love it.

I've been following Steven since I sent off for a cassette from him back in the late 80s: it's been a very expensive 30-year journey, but usually rewarding. The solo albums are all quite different, but I particularly love the songwriting on TTB, along with the more 'commercial' sound (quite 'In Absentia' in places). Whichever direction he choses to go down for the new one, I'll be listening...

Kalli and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  24. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I think if you read through the thread their are more lovers than haters of TTB , me included. Excellent album, maybe not to the level of HCE but it's close.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  25. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

I really enjoyed To The Bone. HCE is his masterpiece but I found it to be a very attractive record.

Rufus rag and Chrome_Head like this.