Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 26, 2019.

1. By making 9-minute tracks?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    MungoMusic, Rufus rag and St. Troy like this.
  2. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Purple Rain is almost 9 minutes long, and I think that's a great pop album.
    The Beatles also did long songs/medleys. Ulver also did a 9 minute pop song.

3. Perhaps. But Purple Rain the song is NOT a pop song. It's just about prog, especially with the rich orchestration at the end. Every tried to play the chords (with the 9th added?) It's tough.

MungoMusic and Rufus rag like this.
  4. Separan

Separan Forum Resident

I'm not sure Personal Shopper is edited to 9 minutes or extended to 19 minutes. how are extra 10 minutes like?

5. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I agree with you to a degree. But there are tons of interviews from the To The Bone era where you could see what Steven's definition of pop is.
    In his world (and mine), good pop music means The Beatles, ABBA, XTC or Prince. Pop doesn't mean Britney Spears, Green Day or Justin Bieber.
    Point is, pop songs can be long, and sometimes can even be considered prog.

6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I would definitely call it pop! Pop-rock ballad. Absolute genius piece of work - in an album that is rock and pop and R&B all mixed together

I think ultimately, pop music can have those wonderfully embellished inversions and 9ths that Wendy added to the chord progression, as well as the song's orchestration - the song itself is more in the pop/rock/R&B world than it is the prog world. Because ultimately I feel like pop doesn't always have to mean short and simple chords (although the roman numeral analysis to Purple Rain is not prog-complex in the slightest)

Prince is my all time favorite musician, and as a guitarist I love playing those chords that Wendy brought to the table for that particular song - I don't consider anything on that album to be prog though even if the song has a long and brilliant journey

Max Florian likes this.
  7. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Who cares whether something by Steven Wilson is, or is not, pop. Shouldn't we instead be discussing whether or not it's good music?

8. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

As i am in lockdown i am working through my Porcupine Tree and SW collection. I have been on the journey with him since 96. My first rule with any of his products is dont under estimate. If you dont like something at first chances are it will grab you later.
    Just listening to Grace album. Not a go to and ignored for years. Wow. What a miss. But i have said this so many times. Not to say i like everything the guy has ever done. Even his best albums have at least one track that leaves me cold. He has never done a perfect album for me. But his is the catalogue i would take to a desert island.

9. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

Let's hope it's not an extra 10 minutes of shopping list items. :tsk:

10. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Sometime in the 1980s I recall hearing a "song" - more a spoken word track with minimal musical accompaniment. It consisted of a female voice slowly and sensuously reciting a list of items one might find in a supermarket, in a tone not so much like someone reading their shopping list but more like an advertisement trying to induce people to purchase by making the items sound as tempting a possible. I don't know the name of the artist, but I do recall the title of the piece: "Sex". None of the items listed had anything to do with actual sex; I assume the point was to draw an analogy between the temptation of a seductress and the temptation of retail therapy.

11. gad999

gad999 Forum Resident

I'd settle for that ;)
    I dont think I'll try searching for it though :whistle:

12. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

I must be the odd man out. To me I love the journey of the artist. Being a huge Queen , Devin Townsend, Opeth, Vangelis and yes Steven Wilson fan ( among others of course) I never know what direction they may be going and to me that is awesome. Do I like every direction 100% ( ala The Miracle Queen ) no . But I respect the artist 100% for doing what they want not what the label or we want. It's a journey I go for the ride ( if those individuals who want the same thing from the artist over and over there are plenty them out there). So yes bring on change bring on diversity those are the artist who are interesting and continue to keep me interested.

13. Miles1968

Miles1968 The years just pass like trains

I agree 100%. And I love HevyDevy too :)

Rufus rag and Yufri like this.
  14. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

All of the above...

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, I am 100% with you on what you said. I LOVE Ptree but his solo career except for hand.cannot.erase does not do much for me. Thought To the Bone had a few things I liked but like you after putting it away on the shelf over a year ago I have no inclination to listen to it again. And what many consider to be his masterpiece (Raven) that album just puts me to sleep.

RicB likes this.
  16. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Check out the live album Home Invasion, which I reviewed on another thread. Besides having quite a few PT songs, many of his solo songs are played with more energy than they are on the studio albums.

Rufus rag, slipkid and rontoon like this.
  17. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

I've come to really like the title track on Raven and I can enjoy (without getting too excited by them) Pin Drop and Drive Home, but I have to skip the other three tracks entirely.

Rufus rag and slipkid like this.
  18. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

Thanks for posting this.

19. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

I kind of discovered everything by SW at once: after having ignored frequent glowing mentions of SW's name on the Marillion fan forum, right after Welcome To My DNA came out, I caved in and tested out (through YouTube) bits of PT, Blackfield, and Insurgentes (the only SW album at the time); I remember hearing Time Flies and Harmony Korine and being quite blown away by the fact they were both tremendous but in completely different ways.

I soon bought 4 albums: The Incident, Blackfield (I), DNA, and Insurgentes. Each was really good in its own way, but Insurgentes probably hit me the hardest, like a bucket of water in the face. As for the others, I thought Blackfield was accessible music that should be played on the radio, while being more interesting (lyrically, musically, emotionally) than anything I actually did hear on the radio; I thought The Incident was much more "regular rock" than the others, pretty middle of the road in spots, but quite good indeed in other spots.

Years later, having heard much more PT and SW solo, the properties remain the same for me: a SW solo album has much more interesting material, top to bottom, than any PT album, which at most (FOABP) is 50% notable content (as opposed to merely enjoyable content - I do like PT (I may sound like I don't) but much of it stops there, at "like."). If I were to compare the top third (according to my own enjoyment) of PT material and top third of SW material, the quality level is about even; it's that the rest of the SW solo albums continue to be interesting to me that sets them apart.

As good as Insurgentes seemed to me at that time, GFD, Raven, and HCE blew it away. I would say TTB is also better than Insurgentes, although Insurgentes feels more "Wilsony" to me than TTB (due to inclusion of more pedestrian things such as Same Asylum, Nowhere Now, Permanating, People Who Eat Darkness, which I enjoy, but don't go much beyond that).

For me, no PT album compares to any SW solo album. Isolated bits certainly do (much of Signify, and the first half of FOABP is outrageous), but no full albums.

juanmanuel likes this.
  20. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

An interesting post, and although I know many disagree with your opinion on SW vs PT, it's refreshing to read a contrary point of view.

Aggie87 and slipkid like this.
  21. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes I agree. I do have that (the 2 CD+blu-ray) set. I keep picking up most of his solo stuff anyway despite not loving all of it. I am going to sample some of the new one b4 buying it though.

22. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I think I figured out why this track leaves me cold.
    The lack of Richard Barbieri, or any other musician (such as Bill Rieflin) who knows how to handle ambience, or silence, properly.
    The breakdown part does remind me of Voyage 34, but it's V34 without Barbieri. The difference might be subtle but it's there.

SirMarc likes this.
  23. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

V34 was always SW solo. I don't think Richard contributed to that album.

24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

According to the credits on my CD copy, Richard Barbieri played synthesisers on Phase IV

marblesmike likes this.
  25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

It sounds like that Phase IV is a later remix that was included on future "complete trip" disks via this portion of the Wiki article:

It was released in two parts, as singles, as "Voyage 34 (Phase 1)" and "Voyage 34 (Phase 2)" in 1992. In 1993, Voyage 34: Remixes was released, containing two remixes of the originals. "Voyage 34 (Phase 3)" was a remix by the British electronic music group Astralasia, while "Voyage 34 (Phase 4)" was a remix by Wilson himself, along with future band member Richard Barbieri.