Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 26, 2019.

1. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Been following SW's new releases since Grace For Drowning first came out (which is a highly underrated album btw). I actually really enjoyed the variety on To The Bone. The Raven and Hand.Cannot.Erase were mind-blowing but got a little too knotty at times even for me. I'm sure whatever he does next will be interesting, it usually is.

TheSeldomSeenKid and JoeF. like this.
  3. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Amen to that. Some prog fans losing their **** because Wilson had the "nerve" to write a song like Permanating was hilarious. I hope he keeps playing it every tour. :cool:

Seems like most of his albums this century with PT or solo have had a drum machine somewhere...Gravity Eyelids from In Absentia, Mellotron Scratch from Deadwing, etc. Wilson will do and use anything to make a song good, which is one of many reasons why he is awesome.

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

The problem with 'To The Bone' is not that whether is a prog album or not. The problem with it is the abysmal quality of the songs and songwriting, compared with his previous efforts (and I love Steven Wilson).

It's a huge step down compared with his best albums

I still remember when Steven claimed that the album was inspired, among others, by Peter Gabriel 'So'.
    There's nothing even remotely close to the level of 'Red Rain', 'In Your Eyes', 'Mercy Street' or 'Don't Give Up'

RicB, Wounded Land and Instant Dharma like this.
  5. George Co-Stanza

I am not sure in what world an album with songs as well-written as Refuge, Song of Unborn, To the Bone, Detonation, Pariah and People Who Eat Darkness would be considered abysmal, but I am glad I do not live in it. :p:cool:

6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Storm Corrosion 2 please...

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Abysmal may be the wrong word. Substandard?

RicB and Wounded Land like this.
  8. George Co-Stanza

Oh man, I will cry tears of joy if we get another Storm Corrosion record.

I can't get on board with that either. I am not saying To the Bone is my favorite or the best SW album, but it is still really, really good, and there is nothing wrong with the songwriting. It was up to his usual standards.

Rufus rag likes this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

4 1/2 is underrated...

dunkoid, rontoon, ti-triodes and 6 others like this.
  10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Anything with Akerfeldt. I wish Wilson would produce Opeth.

anduandi, bunkaroo and Chrome_Head like this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Why not? A SW trip-hop album I bet would be amazing

I hope SW follows his muse, whether it is pop oriented songwriting or prog or electronic drums. The least interesting thing would be an album we would expect

12. George Co-Stanza

It's hard to compare it to his other works, since it was only an EP with under 30 minutes of new material, but it was a really nice thing to dig into while waiting for the next studio album. My Book of Regrets in particular is really nice, and I am big fan of Happiness III.

Rufus McDufus and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I don't want to pick the proverbial bone with you. Its ok, I do expect more from SW, and I firmly believe he wouldn't half ass anything at this point in his career. He wanted to make ift, so there it is. I hope he goes out there with the next one and does what he's pretty much always done, and thats not make the same album twice.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I always thought he’d release “A Door Called Summer” on vinyl in a similar way...

Chrome_Head and George Co-Stanza like this.
  16. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I concur, as I found 'Raven' Album too Proggy, although we got his Best Ballad, 'Drive Home' on that Album. The Prog Music partially worked better for me on 'Grace for Drowning', although that Album also mixed in a Few Great Ballads('Deform to Form a Star' & 'Postcard'), and think although still in Prog-Rock Territory, 'Hand Cannot Erase' was his Masterpiece(from his Solo Albums), but really glad he moved on from the Prog-Rock on 'To The Bone', which is a 9 of 10 Album for me.

Anyways, this might not be Great News for 'Rawk' Fans(especially those who love the Metal Type Music of PT's 'Deadwing' and 'In Absentia', but from what I have read somewhere recently, the Next Album is suppose to be more Electronic(maybe from the influence of having just Remixed a Few Tangerine Dream Albums in the just Released 'In Search of Hades' Box Set?). Edit-just saw that @Plan9 confirmed this direction for the New Album and he would know.

I actually, did not hear the '80s influences that SW kept referring to when discussing 'To The Bone', so was hoping his next Album really did have an influence of Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, etc., as the Songs on 'To The Bone'(outside of the Dance Type Song, 'Permanating'), sounded like 'Steven Wilson' Songs to me, that maybe I would be have heard on 'Up The Downstair', 'Signify' and 'Stupid Dream'(his Real 'Pop' Album-IMO).

To me a New Direction would be a FUNK Album. SW mentions Prince being one of his influences(and the reason he sang a few Songs on 'To the Bone' using the Prince Falsetto Voice), but brings up Prince Songs('Sign of the Times', 'Ballad of Dorothy Parker' etc.), that were not the FUNK Songs, so SW should go pick up a few P-FUNK, SLAVE, Ohio Players, Gap Band, Cameo, Bar-Kays, Fatback Band, Brass Construction & Lakeside Albums for some inspiration. Even MUSE made one Great FUNK Song with 'Supermassive Black Holes', that sounds like a Song that Prince wishes he would have written.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  17. TheSeldomSeenKid

He already covered that Genre with 1990s' PT Albums, ''Voyage 34'(Music to simulate an LSD Trip), 'Up the Downstair', and especially 'The Sky Moves Sideways'(the Most Pink Floyd Type Music I have heard by anyone until Airbag the past 6-8 years) . Actually, his early Song, 'Radioactive Toy' was very Pink Floydian Space Rock-IMO.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

I concur, as that will guarantee that I can get Great Seats on his next Tour, but assume the New Electronic Direction will have the Metal Heads who love 'Deadwing' and 'In Absentia' staying home anyways.

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  19. TheSeldomSeenKid

I disagree, as 'Song of Unborn', 'Song of I', 'Detonation', 'The Same Asylum as Before', 'Pariah' and 'People Who Eat Darkness' are of that level(and Gabriel's 'Don't Give Up' is kind of Sappy-IMO).

Leigh and George Co-Stanza like this.
  20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I thought To The Bone was some of his strongest work in years from a songwriting perspective.

Man was the first album bleak (loved it though). Wilson and Akerfeldt are an inspired pairing.

Indeed, a bit like “Scars” from the first Blackfield album.

21. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Couldn't disagree more. Minnemann's contribution was always very tasteful supporting the songs textures. Miss him.

tcj, Sordel and Rufus rag like this.
  22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

SW is a very talented musician, but a bit overrated. I passed on To the Bone, because I think it is such a boring Pop album.

23. Adam Pajda

Adam Pajda Forum Resident

I listened to Wilson's Increbible Expanding Mindf#ck project's album HAVE COME FOR YOUR CHILDREN from 2001 last night. My God what a brilliant record this is. Based mainly on studio improv with plenty of overdubs n' stuff. Wilson's IEM project is very underrated and not very well known but it's absolutely mindblowing.

abor1g likes this.
  24. As you can see with just about every following post I have never seen anything on this forum that needs the IMHO disclaimer as much as this post does.I could list my specific disagreements but everyone else already has.

25. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

If he releases an album and doesn't piss off a portion of his fan base, he will be doing it wrong :righton:

zoomin and trickness like this.