Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 26, 2019.

1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Nothing like AMLOR. The songs are crap even without the 80's sound with the exception of Tide is Turning.
    Sorry for the off-topic posts. I'm done.

2. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

There is no "problem" in my eyes though - I am loving the material so far! Tons of us SW fans are really enjoying these two singles, as evidenced by here, Reddit, and other places. I get that this material doesn't personally resonate with some, and that is of course expected and reasonable - but saying it is "embarrasing quality" and he is "pretending instead of writing good music again" seems a bit different "this isn't my type of SW album, I will catch him on the next one" - with all due respect of course.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    walrus, obi, Starwanderer and 3 others like this.
  3. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I love Radio KAOS from start to finish, every note from the very first listen to this day.

As an album AMLOR was OK at the time because any Floyd was welcomed. The tour was amazing in hindsight, the album, not so much but the new 5.1 mix did make me revisit it, but only once so far.

I-OD and opiumden like this.
  4. Oh Dear! Your opinion is not shared by me AMLOR is sub-standard well below Radio KAOS.

Amused To Death is a minor masterpiece - The Division Bell is more listenable than AMLOR (which in its 2019 incarnation brings it closer to TDB) but neither are in the same class as Amused To Death.

The greatest thing Pink Floyd did after Roger left was play his songs live the new Delicate Sound Of Thunder (2019 Remixed and Expanded including Welcome To The Machine) brings it up to the level of Pulse.

rontoon, opiumden and Hymie the Robot like this.
  5. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Where would you put ITTLWRW on your list?

6. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

That’s true. I’ll weigh in here and say the new piece Personal Shopper is disappointing, especially if I think about what he achieved with Hand. Cannot. Erase. for example or his work with Porcupine Tree, No-Man, and Bass Communion (very good electronic music compared what he’s doing now). To the Bone had absolutely nothing I could sink my teeth into and I’m afraid if this new piece is any indication of what The Future Bites is going to sound like, then count me in as being further disappointed. Of course, a listener can’t like everything a musician does and Steven Wilson is no exception.

opiumden likes this.
  7. When I first got it I was a bit disappointed, but I now have it at number 2 behind Amused To Death. In fact I am amazed at how well they follow each other.

I discussed it here Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want? - Animals Part 2?

Actually coming here recently I was a bit surprised at how many PF fans have an active dislike of Roger and his music. I know he is an awkward bugger but he does have something to say. I suppose he is less easy listening than late Floyd.

If only he and David could have stayed friendly, they counterbalance each other.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Hymie the Robot likes this.
  8. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I feel the same. Nobody asked my opinion, but I rank it #3 after Amused To Death and Hitch Hiking.
    Then there's Radio KAOS, and Ça Ira, a record I played only once since it came out.

9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I hate to be that guy but... Please let's keep the PF/RW discussion to a minimum in this SW thread.

MungoMusic, KariK, craigobau and 10 others like this.
  10. Hitch Hiking is almost a dead heat with Is This The Life... I just felt that Is This The Life... has a similar tone to Amused To Death. so belongs alongside it.

I think Roger was paying tribute to David's abilities (without admitting it) by getting Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck to collaborate on Hitch Hiking and Amused To Death respectively.

11. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Geez, can we actually hear the new SW album before we flog the friggen thing?

bunkaroo, rontoon, Bfunkthe1 and 6 others like this.
  12. St. Troy

St. Troy Still superior.

It hasn’t happened before and won’t happen now.

Alex D, rontoon and craigobau like this.
  13. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

So for those persons that had a chance to hear "King Ghost", is that track similar to "Personal Shopper"? Is it also in more of an electronic and programmed synths style, or does it include other instrumentation (guitars, bass, etc.).

14. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

I’m concerned that the product drop counter was taken down from the TFB website, the new track was taken down or never appeared at all in places, and finally not much new news other than the June release. I hope there isn’t a more serious problem with the release date or a distribution issue. They also could be a rethinking of the marketing strategy I suppose. All speculation of course.

No matter, whatever the case, I always get hyped for SW releases! I like the journey! I’m an unashamed fanboy.

15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Maybe they have just decided to do an actual release. That is, release the whole album on a particular date, like artists used to do, as opposed to releasing it in a kind of trickle over several months. That would suit me fine. I'm not a fan of the drip-feed approach we got with To the Bone.

16. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

Agreed! Aside not being able to resist listening early, it’s way better to hear the whole thing the first time. I’m sure SW feels the same, but trying to adjust to the way music is being consumed and marketed these days.

17. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I don't mind hearing new tracks once or twice prior to release of the album but I won't buy any like I did before To The Bone. It ruined the new album experience for me.

18. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

I wouldn't be surprised if SW's team are revisiting their marketing strategy for the album right now.

I'm seeing more and more bands postpone June album releases as distribution centres shut down (for example, Wardruna have just pushed their June album back to next January).

From what we've seen of TFB marketing campaign so far, it looks as if if timing and content have been very carefully co-ordinated, and the build-up to release could now end up a damp squib if they can't get the album out to suppliers.

There's also the issue of the live shows, which may also have to be rescheduled from September, as they've been designed to tie in with the album. An interview in the new Prog magazine suggests that SW has something quite special and immersive planned for his show, hence the arenas , in order to accommodate the scale of the production.

I guess he's sitting on the fence just now, waiting to see how events pan out in the coming weeks.

MungoMusic and SJP like this.
  19. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

I found King Ghost, but I'm not sure if I can post the link here. I liked it very much.

Bfunkthe1 likes this.
  20. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I found it as well. If you search on Reddit you will find it and can download an mp3 of it.

21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Wow, what a track. I think this sounds fresh for SW. I like it a lot. 20-year old me would hate this song haha.

Anyone who is allergic to poppy electronica will have issues with this song. More controversial that Personal Shopper I'd think.

22. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

I was able to locate and hear "King Ghost" as well.

I know Steven Wilson has said in multiple interviews that he likes to challenge his existing fans and their expectations...........well, he is challenging me so far with the two tracks from 'The Future Bites'. I have loved every solo album that SW has released, as well as the Porcupine Tree albums. I even loved 'To The Bone' and still listen to it regularly. I can find things I like in "Personal Shopper" and "King Ghost" based off the few listens I have had so far, but I'm not in love with them at this point. I think my enthusiasm is also dampened because I have now heard approximately 14 minutes of this upcoming album that is only 39 minutes long, and those 14 minutes are not strongly resonating with me at this point. I've previously bought all the limited deluxe edition boxsets for his previous solo albums and PT albums, but 'The Future Bites' is the first one I have not ordered immediately, and I likely will not buy it as there just is not enough extra music on it this time and 4 of the demo tracks are only on a cassette which I will never play.

walrus and Miles1968 like this.
  23. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

It does seem clear that SW has changed his marketing for this album on the fly. We went from getting updates on social media every day to nothing just like that. I am sure the pandemic is the reason.

I have not heard King Ghost yet, and have no inkling to search the 'net for it; I will hear it when I hear it. :)

ti-triodes, rontoon and drum_cas like this.
  24. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Is the album delayed to a December release? Those are the dates showing on Burning Shed.

25. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

June 12 is the release date