Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 26, 2019.

1. obi

obi Forum Resident

12-06-2020 means 12th of June in this case :)

2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

The thing I was most looking forward to this year before it all went to crap was the New Order/Pet Shop Boys tour, so no complaints here.

I won't argue against The Raven and HCE as his solo career high points, but I feel like there's plenty of bands still doing 70's retro-prog...hell, the Flower Kings just put out a new album, and Transatlantic has one coming out this year as well (among many others in this vein), and replicating those albums right now wouldn't be moving forward artistically. But I don't feel like there's anyone doing a blending of intelligent pop (Tears For Fears, XTC, etc), prog and electronic sounds right now, at least not anywhere near the level SW is, and I'm excited for this album, whatever it ends up being.

3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Ha, yeah forgot it was a UK site.

4. Robert Tilley

Robert Tilley Forum Resident

Burning Shed has the date listed in UK format so with the day of the month first & then the month. They still list it as 6/12/20 in US format.

5. manco

manco Forum Resident

I'm deliberately avoiding any more songs after PERSONAL SHOPPER, until the album comes out. I feel like by listening to all the 5 singles preceding To The Bone, I kind of ruined my experience with that. So it will be back to more like Hand.Cannot.Erase, where I only listened to the lead single before that came out.

6. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

I checked out King Ghost and I liked it. But I also intend to avoid more tracks. Steven makes albums and where the song falls in the sequence really makes a difference. Hearing the song out of context doesn't have the same impact IMO.

7. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Just heard from Gary Numan that he was notified that his October UK tour is a no-go.
    Looks like TFB tour is going to be delayed as well. Waiting for an cancellation/rescheduled dates announcement very soon.
    Be careful when you name an album "The Future Bites".

Thorpy likes this.
  8. manco

manco Forum Resident

Double meaning. Bite can mean something you digest, or something that is a raw deal.

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Hell even a triple meaning if you consider Bites/Bytes as wordplay too lol

10. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Steven Wilson’s forthcoming sixth album has been postponed due to issues arising from the current Coronavirus situation. Originally due for release on 12th June 2020, The Future Bites will now be released on 29th January 2021.

“As with many of my albums, The Future Bites is not just about the music, it's a high concept project which involves design, artwork, video and a tour production, all on a grander scale than anything I've attempted before. However, due to the pandemic, there are unprecedented challenges, ranging from manufacturing issues (particularly in relation to the elaborate deluxe edition) and the uncertainty facing record stores as the coronavirus forces them to close their doors, to being unable to shoot most of the video material I planned. It's therefore with a very heavy heart that I reluctantly need to postpone the release of The Future Bites until such time everything can happen as intended. This will now be January next year, with new music and video starting to be issued again around October. In the meantime the pre-order page for the various editions of the album will remain online. Myself, management, agent and promoters are monitoring the situation regarding the live shows scheduled for this autumn. Should events change we will let everyone know as soon as we do.

“I understand that this may be disappointing news, and to no one more that myself, believe me. I worked on the music and background of this project for the last two years and was thrilled to finally be able to launch it. The response to the Personal Shopper track released last month has been phe-nomenal, and I was looking forward to unveiling more over the next few months in the build up to the release of the album. But alas due to the current circumstances it was not to be.

“I sincerely send everyone reading this a message of good health, and I hope that one day in the not too distant future we can once again focus on things like music, which even if it isn't strictly essential seems to somehow makes life more worthwhile. SW x”

This message was sent by Townsend Music, Units 4 & 5 Iridium Close, Burnley Bridge Business Park, Burnley, Lancashire, BB12 7EJ on behalf of our client.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, JediJoker and Alan57 like this.
  11. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

Gutted this has been delayed 7 months, it was something to look forward to and to help take the mind off of what's going on at the moment.

I doubt the Sept shows will go ahead either.

Matt S and Miles1968 like this.
  12. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Be nice if he gave all people who have orders paid for the box set a little gift for waiting maybe live ep or something

Pim and Juggsnelson like this.
  13. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Bad album title. I hate it already. ;)

Matt S likes this.
  14. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Yeah it's a shame, but understandable.
    Surely the live shows will be postponed too? Not much point when the album's not out till another six months later.
    And, to be perfectly honest, even if lockdown's lifted to the extent that concerts are allowed to go ahead, how many of us would be comfortable cramming into the O2 or wherever, with 10,000 others, so soon after being isolated?
    It's a tricky one - I'd dearly love to see this tour, whenever it takes place, but I can't see me being happy mixing with that number of people for quite some time.

Seagull and Miles1968 like this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

There was no need to pay for the Deluxe Box Set ahead of time, as they were accepting Preorders but only required a credit card to verify, but will not be charged until about a week prior to shipping. I have my copy reserved. I am actually glad that with the current economic situation that I will not be paying for this Deluxe Box Set until next January.

Maybe now though, a Book will be added to the Deluxe Box Set with the Extra Time available before the January 2021 Release. Even better, if some more New Bonus Songs would be created for the Deluxe Box Set, as the contents are less than the last 2 Deluxe Box Sets.

16. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Delayed?

Aborted would be a better decision

17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

He might as well go back and get on with remixing Jethro Tull sets on this down time....would at least make good use of his time.

gad999 likes this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Ugh. I don’t care about physical product or tour dates that weren’t even on my continent, I just want to listen to the music. Would’ve been really nice to have an album I was really excited about to help get through this stupid, terrible year. I wish every album didn’t need to be this elaborate event/rollout and could just be about the music.

19. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

There has been talk of there being a Deadwing CD remaster &/or box set that was due for next year. Could this be put back with The Future Bites being delayed?

20. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Or, better still, bring the release of the Deadwing deluxe forward so it's out sooner, then SW can concentrate his attention next year to TFB.

MungoMusic and Musicisthebest like this.
  21. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

What a selfish response. I guess you know better than the artist.

22. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I can't say this surprises me, given the promotion he obviously has planned for the roll-out of this record.

Rufus rag likes this.
  23. ermylaw

ermylaw Forum Resident

The length of the delay is somewhat surprising to me.

Musiko likes this.
  24. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

Let’s see. Delayed until January, maybe he can make a new new album to keep us busy until then :)

magister345 and rontoon like this.
  25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Everything is dead this year... music, movies, concerts. So it was the right decision to postpone the release.

krimson and Bill Mac like this.