Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 26, 2019.

1. TheSaltman

TheSaltman Heaven or Las Vegas?

I also seriously hope Wilson will allow someone else to properly master his music. His mixes are great but when it comes to mastering he seems to lose his spark (Fear of a Blank Planet), and if I'm not mistaken all of his studio albums past Grace for Drowning are literally not mastered, and in Hand Cannot Erase you can definitely hear that. I also find his remasters to be somewhat poor from time to time, despite them being almost always more dynamic than the original discs, to the point that for Blackfield I prefer the original, compressed CDs (mastered by Chris Blair if I'm not mistaken, on the loud side of things but better than the SW remasters),.

2. I agree with this in general which is why I never listen to anything from an automatic buy album until I have the album.It just takes willpower!

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I've proposed to (re)master some of his work, but he hasn't taken the opportunity yet. Might happen someday for some of the more obscure stuff.

Dok, oneway23, Starwanderer and 2 others like this.
  4. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

I strongly disagree, I love the sound of Hand Cannot Erase and didn't like the sound of To The Bone, although it was properly mastered by Tim Young.
    His King Crimson remixes was also mastered by other people, and I prefer the flat transfer of his mix.

On a side note, I think he should self-produce his records again, without the help of other producers, but it looks like he's working with another one, who worked with Keane, for his forthcoming one.

bunkaroo, TheSaltman and Plan9 like this.
  5. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

That's what I admire about SW - he keeps throwing curveballs. I've never really been interested in Keane, or any band from that era, but clearly Steven hears something in their music that has inspired him to work with this producer. And a different pair of ears, and different points of view can't do any harm when it comes to producing the best result they can. [Someone should have suggested that to George Lucas during the Star Wars prequels...]

But, yeah, as soon as the Prog-Illuminati get a whiff of the Keane association.....(I'll be hunkering in the bunker while it all explodes overhead...:rolleyes:)

madsurfer and Alan57 like this.
  6. TheSaltman

Funny because when writing my comment I thought in my head "To The Bone's CD does sound quite good though" and now I know why :D.

Rufus rag likes this.
  7. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

I went to SW's website to find any teasers about the new album underway, and the bigger surprise (to me) is that he just got married. It's hard to imagine that not influencing his new music in some way. Also, we've been spoiled in the past by how often he puts out new projects, but that may slow down a bit in the future to make room for family life.

TheSaltman likes this.
  8. TheSaltman

More than him being married, I'm very surprised that he chose start a family, considering his stance in the past over the matter. I'm very happy for him though, and yeah it will be interesting to see how this will affect his songwriting.

9. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

It seems the marriage included a daughter from a previous relationship of his new wife, but I hadn't heard that they were going to have children of their own together.

Plan9 likes this.
  10. RicB

RicB Certified Porcupine Tree Fan

I just want to him to get that 4 disc deluxe version of IA out that has been promised as "coming soon" for months...

11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

His Israeli wife is beautiful and they seem to be in love. I couldn't be happier for him!

12. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Perhaps we will have finally a little less depressing music from him!

13. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I really don't get what some people have against depressing music. Thank God we got beautiful music by people who are/were not happy-go-lucky most of the day.

14. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

Melancholy music is much more cathartic than "happy" music IMO.

15. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

Looks like Steven and Tim are announcing something from No-Man tomorrow.

SJP and drum_cas like this.
  16. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Tim blogged about the new album a couple weeks ago, all done....announcement ought to be the release date info, maybe pre-orders etc.

drum_cas likes this.
  17. Old Zorki II

I did not ask for happy music, just a little less depressing... Is that still too much? )))

18. TheSaltman

I definitely agree, but in the case of SW, it would be a welcome change, not because his sad music is bad, not at all, but because it would be an interesting shake of things for him.

19. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

He definitely has the talent for making very fine heart wrenching music. Oddly, the more meloncholy, the more I like it.

St. Troy and JakeKlas like this.
  20. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Agreed. And I would definitely describe SW's music as melancholy way more than I would depressing.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  21. Old Zorki II

On a last SW show I was ( last year in Tampa) he described his music as depressing himself ))

22. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

I’m with you on that. And some of the videos that go with the singles, like Routine, are heart wrenching, too.

Generally, I like happy, upbeat music. But there is some beauty in his darker pieces, whether it’s the melody or the instrumentation.

Plus, the bonus with certain editions of recent SW albums is that he includes instrumental versions of the songs which I’m equally happy to listen to if I’m not in the mood for the lyrics. (I wish more bands would do that!)

Plan9 likes this.
  23. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

:D

Old Zorki II likes this.
  24. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

The album cover, out Nov 22 on Caroline
    [​IMG]

SJP, Starwanderer and siveld like this.
  25. No-Man has LOTS of prog elements.

TheSaltman likes this.