Steven Wilson - "The Tastemaker" - Exclusive Studio Outtake from The Future Bites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident Thread Starter

"The Tastemaker" has arrived!

Song by Steven Wilson. Video by Alan Lastufka. Starring Kristen Renee as the Tastemaker.

I'm so excited to share this with everyone. For those out of the loop, "The Tastemaker" is a new studio recording made during the sessions for Steven Wilson's latest album, The Future Bites. The song was pressed as a 7" vinyl single, of which only ONE COPY exists! This unique pressing was included in the Ultra Deluxe Limited Edition box set of The Future Bites that I bought on Black Friday at a cost of £10,000, with all proceeds going to charity (UK's Music Venue Trust).

Steven Wilson gave me permission, as the purchaser of that one-of-a-kind box set, to release "The Tastemaker" if I wanted to, or to keep it private, as he would not be releasing the song outside of that one single 7" copy.

I recorded my very first play of the 7" using an Ortofon Bronze stylus feeding a Cambridge Solo preamp, captured at 192kHz/24bit by a Tascam DA-3000. I then cleaned up that needledrop by hand in iZotope’s RX, removing each pop and tick individually so as not to just run the de-click plugin across the whole track and destroy the transients. Then applied the tiniest bit of EQ moves to deal with some turntable rumble.

I think the song is great, of course, and am excited for everyone to hear it. But also, a lot of work went into the music video, and I think it fits within the current lore and marketing campaign for The Future Bites perfectly. I wrote the Tastemaker video as a direct prequel to the "Eminent Sleaze" music video. So thanks to all who watch and enjoy the music video too!

KDubATX, Thorpy, bunglejerry and 64 others like this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thank You Alan.

Much appreciated for your generously sharing this Song/Video, along with Time for this Song/Video with the Work and TLC you put into it. I recently received the Deluxe Box Set and the Eminent Sleaze CD Single with the 2 Bonus Songs(I had to buy off of EBay) is arriving today.

‘The Tastemaker’ is a Funky Song, and does fit in well with the other Songs and B-Sides from ‘The Future Bites’ Project. Is the Luxury Casket in the Video our Final Must Own Purchase in this Thing we call Life? Did Elton John order one for himself?

Dying to Fit In, Literally:laugh:.

Steven Wilson is The Tastemaker!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    RicB, SJP and AlanDistro like this.
  3. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Thank you!

For an album I was absolutely positive I was going to loathe I sure listen to "The Future Bites" a lot. Almost daily.

MrCJF, Rufus rag, SJP and 5 others like this.
  4. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Amazing work!

danielbravo and AlanDistro like this.
  5. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

Truly sir, you have gone above and beyond in sharing this. Thank you!
    Wonder what Steven will think of this...

Groovy and AlanDistro like this.
  6. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

It's an amazing album indeed. I've made a big playlist with all the b-sides, bonus-material (now including The Tastemaker), the Sessions etc. Such a great listen.

AlanDistro and rrbbkk like this.
  7. dwm67

dwm67 Forum Resident

Thank you Alan ... as many have said, it is wonderful that you are sharing the song. The video is fantastic and definitely fits ... I am eagerly awaiting for the vinyl and blu ray to arrive. Well done :)

AlanDistro likes this.
  8. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

danielbravo and AlanDistro like this.
  9. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

And album onto itself:

01.Eyewitness 5:20
    02.In Floral Green 5:33
    03.Move Like A Fever 6:15
    04.King Ghost (Tangerine Dream Mix) 9:24
    05 - The Tastemaker 2:41
    06 - 12 THINGS I FORGOT (instrumental) 4:46
    07 - UNSELF (Long Version) 2:46
    08 - HA BLOODY HA 5:07
    09 - MOVE LIKE A FEVER 4:45
    10 - I AM CLICHE 2:55
    11 - WAVE THE WHITE FLAG 4:33
    13 - IN PIECES 4:04
    13 - EVERY KINGDOM FALLS 4:07

10. Bfunkthe1

Bfunkthe1 Forum Resident

That's great!
    What about adding "Hey Sleeper"?

11. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Solid song and exceptional video — now for the fun part of identifying the people in the emails, which was a choice touch (saw Paul Sinclair right away, too). Thanks for putting so much into creating this experience!

12. AlanDistro

I included Paul after he interviewed me for his website. All of the other names are Official Steven Wilson Street Team members. I posted asking people to submit their names if they were okay with me using them in the video, as I needed 100+ unique names, and over 160 people responded in the first 8 hours before I closed submissions as that was already more than enough.

Erick Haight likes this.
  13. AlanDistro

Thank you! I do hope Steven enjoys it and isn't like "who is this dude making TFB fanfic?", hah!

Thorpy, Jimbino, obi and 1 other person like this.
  14. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Good grief, how could he not? It's so 'on brand' with the album's esthetic. It boggles my mind that you created this in just one week. Amazing work.

Thanks again, Alan.

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Actually, if you had not mentioned that you had created this Video, I would have assumed SW himself had made it. You definitely captured the Theme of ‘The Future Bites’ with this Video. Elton John-“I must have one of those Luxury Deluxe Caskets”:agree:.

16. obi

obi Forum Resident

I’m sure he’s duly impressed; at least he should be :)

17. Skylab

Skylab Arriving somewhere but not here

Very cool of you to do this, Alan, and what an amazing video!!! Well done!!!

AlanDistro likes this.
  18. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

Alan, you won the internet today !

Good song, and absolutely excellent video. As noted above, if I did not know better I would have assumed Steven Wilson and his record company had produced that video. Steven should post this video on his own SW Headquarters website at a minimum.......although I guess he might need to get permission from you to do so since you are the owner of this :).

Starwanderer, rontoon, Skylab and 3 others like this.
  19. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

Too funny.....SW should do another remix of "Personal Shopper" now and go back to Elton and ask him to recite "Luxury Deluxe Caskets".

20. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Wow great job, and thanks for sharing. Nice tune. I couldn’t think of a better person to receive this boxset.

SJP and AlanDistro like this.
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Funky man :cool: Thanks for being generous to share!

AlanDistro likes this.
  22. The Curator

The Curator Forum Resident

Much appreciated Alan :righton:

AlanDistro likes this.
  23. AlanDistro

Thanks everyone for all the kind words, couldn't have imagined a better response to this video today (over 125 comments on YouTube already and only one or two negative ones, that's an amazing percentage for that website).

24. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Awesome Job Alan! Great work. I was watching the video more than I was concentrating on the song. I will have to watch this a few more times now Haha.

25. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

What’s it on? I thought I’d found them all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.