Steven Wilson - "The Tastemaker" - Exclusive Studio Outtake from The Future Bites

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AlanDistro, Feb 10, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyH

AndyH Forum Resident

Brilliant, thanks for sharing. I love that you've printed the emails to keep in the set. And yeah, the etiquette considerations are fascinating in this instance.

I found it awkward enough at a signing in a record store where it was more or less 1 in 1 out and there was obviously going to be a point where you were politely moved along.. but do you push it to that point.. (I didn't)

AlanDistro likes this.
  2. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Well, I’m sure there’s no harm in a monthly e-mail to him asking what remix project he’s currently working on. Tell him it’s just between you, him... and a few dozen forum friends. :winkgrin:

FJFP and AlanDistro like this.
  3. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Hey Alan,

In times as crazy in this world as these, everything about your story with the box set feels so right and pleasing.
    Thank you so much for sharing, not only the song, but the music video and everything about the box set as well.
    I'm happy that Steven reached out to you. His box set clearly could not have found a better buyer and home.

Jimbino, Jayseph, FJFP and 1 other person like this.
  4. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

It's clear this project went to the right person, and it's very cool that Mr. Wilson acknowledges that. This is the first time in years I've ever smiled at something I read on Twitter when I saw the official post! Excellent work with the video, as well. I'm a newcomer to the world of SW, but I can't imagine this set going to someone more deserving. :righton:

Starwanderer and AlanDistro like this.
  5. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

So what's the verdict on "The Future Bites"?

St. Troy likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's really good of you to share this.

AlanDistro likes this.
  7. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Yeah thanks so much. The needle drop is amazing quality wise. Not to be greedy at all, and totally understand if you don't want to share but what about the soundcheck of Twilight Zone. How is that?

AlanDistro likes this.
  8. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks! I work really hard on my needledrops, which is why I only do them for songs which are not available digitally, or I'd never listen to anything! :) I'll be releasing the hi-res FLAC (24bit/96kHz) of the needledrop next week with my "Making of/Behind the Scenes" video. There was a lot of unused footage for the Tastemaker video I'd like to share, and I'd like to show off some of the work/FX that went into the video.

As for the "Twilight Zone" soundcheck. Unfortunately, I cannot share that one as Steven did not give permission, and may not be able to if he didn't pay to license the cover. The quality of the recording and performance are fantastic, recorded and mixed just as well as his Home Invasion tour CD.

9. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. Enjoy.

AlanDistro likes this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

There is an 88 Pages Thread(and still Active, so should be several more Pages added over the next few Months) on 'The Future Bites' in the link below. The Thread was started last year, so you might want to skip to the Page after SHM Members started to receive the Deluxe Box Set, CD, Vinyl and BluRay, as various parts of them are discussed like the Atmos Version, The Bonus Songs(from the Deluxe Box Set and the 2 Single Releases), among other things related to this Album, and of course everyone's own take on how they like the Album(or dislike for a smaller number of SW Fans, but I love TFB myself):

Steven Wilson starts recording a new album: "The Future Bites" (29th January 2021)

11. AlanDistro

Here it is! The Behind the Scenes / Making of Steven Wilson's "The Tastemaker" music video, which includes the free 96kHz/24bit FLAC download link of my needledrop in the video description.

12. chaz

chaz Senior Member

Great making of, Alan. You certainly went above and beyond the call of duty on this. SW should be very happy with everything you've done. I know I am! Thanks for the HR download as well.

Skylab, AlanDistro and Miles1968 like this.
  13. JakeKlas

JakeKlas Impatiently waiting for an 8-track revival

Thank you, Alan!

AlanDistro likes this.
  14. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Very interesting making of video. Thanks again for making 'The Tastemaker' available, Alan. :righton:

AlanDistro likes this.
  15. AlanDistro

Thanks! It's fun to be a little "extra" every now and then.

chaz likes this.
  16. Robert Tilley

Robert Tilley Forum Resident

The track sounds great! Thanks again for sharing this.

AlanDistro likes this.
  17. Joe McKee

Joe McKee Forum Resident

Thank you for sharing - and for the video! Very cool.

AlanDistro likes this.
  18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I finally dug in for a bit and watched the videos, both for The Tastemaker and The Making Of. Outstanding work. This just reinforces the fact that the box went to the most deserving SW fan around, someone with means, talent and heart (to share the song with the world rather than stare at it spinning on a turntable repeatedly, all alone in their mother's basement). The sharing of the entire experience from securing the box set through the making of the video makes us all feel like we're on the inside when it comes to this neat story. Thank you for all you have done!

19. AlanDistro

Thanks so much!

20. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Thanks very much for sharing both the video and download link.

Super generous of you.

21. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

Is you partner Kristen a fan of Steven Wilson as well, and if not did you have to twist her arm to get her to help and be in the video?

I was able to convince my wife to go with me to one Steven Wilson show, back in 2012, on the Raven tour. She had gone to a Blackfield show with me prior to that, and I think she thought it would be more like that show, with simpler structured songs and more "pop" hooks. I think she still has nightmares to this day from sitting through and hearing the full 25-minute performance of Raider II that night, where SW introduced it as a song about the BTK killer. My wife does not like her music that intense.

22. AlanDistro

She's not really a fan ("Permanating" is on her Spotify playlist but I think that's the only song of his in there. Nothing to do with Steven as an artist, she's just not a fan of any progressive music, she cites the odd time signatures and song lengths as the reasons. That said, she did sit through the Home Invasion tour blu-ray with me when I bought that).

But she was happy to help with the video. We actually met because of YouTube, I was part of a popular collab channel on there many, many years ago. She saw a charity event livestream I was co-hosting and, after the show, reached out via email to ask a few questions. We started chatting regularly and eventually met up IRL. So YouTube is kinda sorta part of our relationship DNA.

23. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Just had to stop by to say a huge thank you Alan, for the cool video, for the fascinating making of video, and for the high quality download. Really generous of you. Very much appreciated. Cheers!

AlanDistro and Skylab like this.
  24. dislocatedday

dislocatedday Senior Member

Good story about how you two met. My wife is the same in that she does not like progressive rock for much of those same reasons.....songs are too long, too weird sounding oftentimes with odd time signatures and complex musical interludes, and lyrics that are not about "love" and "happy things". She understands my musical passion though, and does recognize that SW is supremely talented and creative. She pokes fun at me though sometimes, and even got me a t-shirt this past Christmas that has this phrase on the front of it: "I only listen to bands you have never heard of".

AlanDistro and SJP like this.
  25. AlanDistro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.