Steven Wilson. Voyage of discovery

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David B, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I am a bigger fan of his "Steve Wilson" material than Porcupine Tree. But I stll like most P Tree too.

The Raven and Grace for Drowning are my favorite, and amazing, followed by Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Maybe a shot in the arm with regards to getting press and a bit of fame in more mainstream, non-prog circles.

But not with overall quality. There has been a steady streamb of world class prog, from all over the world, for quite a while.

Some of it maybe a bit less approachable, and more avant-garde than Wilson, bit the quality is right up there with any of Wilson's tecordongs.

Spinone, StarThrower62, PC31 and 3 others like this.
  2. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Porcupine Tree "Signify" is a good album.

3. David B

David B Forum Resident Thread Starter

I can see why some on this site and particularly those that followed him in Porcupine Tree would lean towards the earlier of his solo work or The Raven That Refused To Sing and Hand Cannot Erase - the earlier stuff is even more rock based or even prog based. To The Bone and more recently The Future Bites veer more towards pop and even dance beats. But each of his albums share a strong melodic sensibility, tremendous playing and production / sound engineering of the highest order. I like that there is definite progression and variety to keep things interesting and display both power and beauty in equal measure. Some of the artists he has done remixing work for reveal where his tastes and personal style lean if that helps those less familiar…. Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, but also Roxy Music and Tears For Fears. If anything I see him carrying the torch for Roxy and Tears

4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yes I really like Signify and Sky Moves Sideways.

5. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Neither is the Drive Home video, top notch all three of them - Raven, Drive Home and Routine. I so wish that Routine was available on Blu-ray in glorious 5.1 as the other two.

By the way, something went wrong with the quote - I fixed the content but not the person quoted which was not walrus as stated - sorry for this!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Transience and Rufus rag like this.
  6. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Indeed it wasn't. It was me. :)

7. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

8. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I came late to his music too. Getting turned on to him was a game changer for me, and after hearing Raven I was an instant, all in fan. Raven and Bone are the 2 I listen to the most, and I have most of his Porcupine Tree and solo output. I haven’t delved in to his side projects yet outside of Storm Corrosion, being a major Akerfeldt fan too.

Rufus rag and Power Windows like this.
  9. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I got into him with Porcupine Tree's Signify and kept going from there. Admittedly he lost me with The Incident (although I love the track "Time Flies"). I took a chance on To The Bone and loved it... so now I need to spend some more time with all of his solo work.

To this day, Stupid Dream is still my favorite of his albums (with or without PT). I remember seeing PT in 2004 or so, and he played "A Smart Kid". I felt like the only person in the place who knew the song, since the album was out of print at that time!

Power Windows and DPM like this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Still my Album of the Year

[​IMG]

11. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

Mine too. I actually think it's one of Steven's worst solo albums, but still a very good record. If he had chosen to select my favourite tracks from the recording sessions I would rate it significantly higher, as it happens some of my favourites can only be found as b-sides and outtakes. I genuinely don't know what kind of music his next album will be (he's suggested 'more electronic') but I'm as excited as ever to hear what form it will take.

TheSeldomSeenKid and Rufus rag like this.
  12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It made the #2 spot in my top 5 of the year.

13. David B

Yep I like both those. although is The Album Years still running. I’ve used up the content on Spotify. P.S. struggling to locate SW albums. Local record shops don’t have any - asked them to order but been about three months already

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I think those first two are the best Porcupine Tree albums. However, Fear of a Blank Planet I find mundane and boring.
    After that, I would suggest getting his two solo albums Grace for Drowning and The Raven That Refused To Sing. Great stuff.

Transience likes this.
  15. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

I find it fascinating how tastes can vary so much. For me Fear Of A Blank Planet is one of rocks most engaging albums and stands as one of the best albums of 'recent' times. I totally agree with checking out Grace For Drowning (although it's not one of the easiest to 'get'). I urge anyone new to Steven Wilson's music to not make the mistake of overlooking some of his other collaborations or projects; No-Mans Returning Jesus and Storm Corrosion's self titled albums are both absolute masterpieces in my opinion.

16. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I've purchased most if not all his releases over the years. Some things are better than others but I pretty much enjoy it all. He's become quite an expense since discovery.

Transience likes this.
  17. David B

What do you mean self titled. Do you mean just his solo SW stuff…. There’s more than two. I have Future Bites. Looking for Grace, Raven, Bone, Hand

18. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Storm Corrosion was both the name of the band and the name of the album.

19. David B

Oh I see, yes thanks

20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

What about trying IEM his excursion into Krautrock

Or Bass Communion his Ambient project a little more hit and miss.

Then there is Porcupine Tree lite the first couple of Blackfield albums.

The Psych that is the first couple of Porcupine Tree albums (the solo years)

Don't forget No-man some interesting things their especially the early finding themselves albums

For me the masterpiece is the Raven that refused to sing...

Plenty of interesting things in a back catalog stretching back nearly 40 years

Miles1968 likes this.
  21. Transience

Transience Forum Resident

22. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    Miles1968 and Playloud like this.
  23. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Except that's just the title, it was available in an "Artist's Edition" of 125 copies, long sold out. The Special Edition (including a cd) seems to be readily available, as is the standard edition.

There actually was an "Ultra Deluxe" Edition of The Future Bites, that was only one copy, and sold (I believe to a SH board member) for £10,000.

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites (Ultra Deluxe Music Product On Obsolete Media Limited Edition Of One)

AlanDistro likes this.
  24. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Oh yes, I knew it was't really an edition of just one; my comment about collector's item was because of the remarkable contents.

Aggie87 likes this.
  25. JohnJ

JohnJ Forum Resident

Saw Steven Wilson at Rough Trade tonight promoting his book. He’s like a walking encyclopaedia - not usually a fan of autobiographies and to be honest, his music hasn’t really been in my radar - but been listening to his last 2 solo records over the past few days, which he’s signed for me. Nice.

the book sounds genuinely interesting, and his interview was very good. Was a bit of a punt, but am very happy.

David B, Transience, CHALKERS and 3 others like this.