Steven Wilson working on Tangerine Dream: In search of Hades Box Set.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warp2600, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Wonderful! I was at that Detroit concert. I'm excited thinking about revisiting it via this recording being released.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

The American shows from 77 are among my favourite live recordings of TD.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  3. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I figured it was a joke - hence my LOL when people liked my post. :)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I followed then around the midwest on that first American tour. Saw them in Milwaukee, Cleveland, and Detroit. These were the greatest most thrilling concerts I've ever experienced. They improvised different things each evening. By turns they created dreamy, scary, melancholy, and trance-inducing electronic sonic sculptures. They featured the tremendous drive and pounding power of electronic percussion, too. Plus Edgar's Hendrix-like mind melting electric guitar excursions. There's never been anything like it, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    ArpMoog, Maurice, mcwlod and 7 others like this.
  5. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Fantastic :righton:
    I am insanely jealous, only got to see them post- Baumann.
    The tour photos from the US tour of 77 make it look really exciting as you say. Does any film exist from this period?
    That would be something to see.

ciderglider and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I'm not aware of any film, just photographs. Any visual interest during the concerts was mainly generated by the portable laserium light-show system they had with them (and an individual that played it in response to their music), which was projected onto a screen in back of them. The group members themselves were silent, made little movement, and played mostly shrouded in darkness. They were backlit by the light show somewhat, looking like shadow figures, lending an air of mystery.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Slim Zooms likes this.
  7. 24db

24db Forum Resident

The Laserium effects were filmed by TD (don't get too excited - 8mm only), the original plan being that they would write some music to go along with it - a reaction to how poorly they thought the live lasers went with the music. Laserium was only used in America, Canadians had to do with with spot lights, smoke and rotating mirrors

8. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The last time I saw them live was in Washington, DC, on the Electric Mandarine tour of 2012. They projected computer-generated video which was much more complex but less synchronized to the music, if at all. The imagery reminded me somewhat of the album graphics created for their Eastgate releases, but of course animated and constantly changing.

9. pinktree1

pinktree1 Forum Resident

10. 24db

24db Forum Resident

I obviously meant Laserium was only used in America 'IN 1977' (as the discussion was about 1977), Laserium was of course used by the band on several tours, 1978 (throughout Europe), 1980 (inc USA) and 1983 (Greece etc), and of course they used a different laser company in more recent years (2007 onwards).

IMHO the only time TD's visuals (videos or lasers) have gone with their music is during the last few years - with Patrick Dunn on Video (including improvised video during their sessions) melding with Andreas Fink's LED light show.

11. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

He did but Warner dropped him and never released it.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  12. 24db

24db Forum Resident

Michael did record another album after DFTNW but (rumour has it) got so annoyed that he wiped it.

13. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

14. 24db

24db Forum Resident

If you like posters (and TD memorablia in general) lookout for Brad Duke's huge book on TD - coming later this year (fingers crossed), it covers 1970-2014, and not only covers posters, but also tickets, flyers and input from ex TD stage crew, managers and band.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

16. Robomaks

Robomaks Forum Resident

17. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict Thread Starter

This is outrageous.
    An announcement by the record company was said to be coming around Christmas/New Year.
    Original release date of April/May 2019 was hinted.
    Where are we now? Is it really April? Not a word from company.
    Ridiculous.

RangerXT and Robomaks like this.
  18. fRa

fRa Conny Olivetti - Sound Alchemist

Calm down! ;-)
    All that was not any promises, just some guessing from
    people involved in the process!
    It will come when they are ready

JohnCarter17, zphage and albertop like this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Do you really think it's ridiculous, or are you posting in jest? I hope the latter.

How can it be "ridiculous"? What's the problem with a delay on the original general time frame given? I guess I can understand some angst if we'd all paid on pre-order - but as it is, this is a project that we know is on the way, and it's taking as long as it takes. That's a good thing, right?

albertop and fRa like this.
  20. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

First world problems....

I had to think instantly of the Brit general shouting "outrageous" in that horrible hospital scene in "Lawrence of Arabia". Puts things in perspective, doesn't it.

bherbert likes this.
  21. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

:doh:

It's merely "delayed", not "cancelled". If you read other posts in this thread, the producers have found more material since the project began, so that also takes added time to get it cleaned up and mastered fit for purpose.

Just keep playing the originals for now, and enjoy them like the rest of us have over the years.

RangerXT, Robomaks and Slim Zooms like this.
  22. Robomaks

Robomaks Forum Resident

....we hope well ! :-popcorn:

23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

There was Xcept One on Capitol that was released in 1987.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  24. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Is it worth investigating?

25. Robomaks

Robomaks Forum Resident

I have it, but it is not extraordinary:shake:

Slim Zooms likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.