Steven Wilson working on Tangerine Dream: In search of Hades Box Set.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warp2600, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, I can only imagine it's the Virgin years. The early ones are.... the early ones. Post Virgin it all gets a bit New Age for my tastes. The Virgin years is their best stuff, and there's enough of it to make a box set to die for.

Of course, there are some great souundtracks, but I asssume those were out of scope.

If it's the Virgin years then there's not a single doubt in my mind that I'll be handing cash over.

2. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Take my money please. I might assume it's the multitrack tapes made at the Manor (Phaedra, Rubycon and Ricochet).

reapers likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Things like this make me wish I had a surround system. Not gonna happen any time soon though.

Hymie the Robot and a customer like this.
  4. reapers

reapers Forum Resident

andrewskyDE and klockwerk like this.
  5. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Steven recorded some new drum tracks for his 'remix' of Chicago II, to augment what was already there but highly muted. I wouldn't be adverse to him doing the same here. It's not like all the previous issues are going away. I do hope the box is massive, meaning we get some unused studio tracks and Overture to Oedipus Tyrannus complete.

6. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Need details now!

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Absolutely not! Nothing was added, where did you read that?

8. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

Well there were "Quadraphonic" vinyl releases of "Alpha Centuari" ,"Zeit" and "Atem" back in the 1970s and Dieter Dierks vault of "Ohr/Cosmic Couriers" master tapes has recently (a few months ago now) been opened for investigation at last . So perhaps ...... although Phaedra is probably the best bet . But a LOT of "Cosmic Courier" stuff should be rereleased from the masters in the next couple of years if plans go well

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  9. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

I believe an announcement is imminent. I am sworn to secrecy, having been involved in a small way with this thing, but I can guarantee that it will be the real deal.
    Finally something to knock the spots off of every other reissue, and the retrospective TD deserve.

10. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Steven Wilson is draining my savings account, so many must buys.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

awesome

klockwerk likes this.
  12. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Looks like I'm going to need to save my pennies, what with the forthcoming Gong set coming soon too - a small lottery win would be nice!

klockwerk likes this.
  13. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Wow,thanks for that news.I always wondered if the bands that left back in 75 t(TD ,Manuel G,Klaus Schulz)took their master tapes with them or they were kept in DD's vault,since a lot of CD releases from that era seem to have questions about the soure of origin.(needledrops,high generation tape copies.).

phil1db likes this.
  14. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Euh.... there’s a Gong box coming? Do fill me in: I missed that and a Google search did help me out!

RangerXT and JP Christian like this.
  15. Robomaks

Robomaks Forum Resident

I think that the contents will be known soon! maybe:phaedra,Rubycon,Ricochet,Stratosfear,Cyclone and Force Majeure remastered by Wilson 24 bit/96khz from the original masters !
    (Robomaks.eu)

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Remaster =/= remix

Steven Wilson is remixing classic albums, not remastering them.

RangerXT, Jimijam, bherbert and 3 others like this.
  17. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Oh how I'd LOVE Cyclone to be included, but somehow I suspect not.

Whatever is there, I will buy immediately. Can't wait to see what is included.

RangerXT likes this.
  18. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I had Zeit Tangerine Dream - Zeit and a good SQ decoder, and the seperatiuon on the rear channels was not very impressive. Same with Cyborg. Aqua on headphones was much more impressive.

phil1db likes this.
  19. MichaelCPE

MichaelCPE Senior Member

My hope is that the blu rays will be available at a reasonable price (as with Yes) and not packed up in a very expensive giant box which also includes vinyl and a set of steak knives.

20. amonjamesduul

I have always read as well that those releases were not true surround or at least not very convincing.Now if a true 5.1 of Zeit came out from some long lost multitrack tape I would be in heaven.

21. amonjamesduul

Not familiar with TDs previous box sets if any exist so trinkets may not be an issue,hope no vinyl is included and can be bought separate as well..maybe dried tangerine slices instead of marbles?

22. phil1db

phil1db Senior Member

Hopefully we may get a chance to find out ourselves

klockwerk likes this.
  23. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

i don't buy into the added value of trinkets in big box sets but recall hearing one of their potential plus points at least to the labels was to counteract piracy, in as much as counterfeiters wouldn't go to the lengths of reproducing stuff like scarves, marbles, coasters, replica concert tickets, pin badges (etc) just to racketeer off a load of knock offs of the discs themselves.. even for something as lucrative as the Dark Side Of The Moon, the Immersion box set of which is out of print afaik, how would it be financially viable to make all that old toot!?

meantime, does anybody know if we're getting a set of more than one Tangerine Dream album remixed by Steven Wilson or just the one that's the subject of this thread?

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  24. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Good lord, I want more information on whatever this set is going to be.

25. djfake

djfake Forum Resident

I'm in.

klockwerk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.