Steven Wilson working on Tangerine Dream: In search of Hades Box Set.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warp2600, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Got a Fedex notice that mine was just delivered within the last hour. Wasn't due until Wednesday.

Sorry, boss, gotta run! See you tomorrow!

pulpo and ispace like this.
  2. maki881

maki881 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in-between there it was in Hades.

footlooseman, Simon A and uzn007 like this.
  3. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

So true

4. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

To answer your original question, I have tended to gravitate towards the Victoria Palace and Rainbow 1974 recordings because both are 100% new to me.
    They are quite breathtaking at times...so much invention going on all the time....great swathes of sound which changes on a dime....they really do not
    stand still for long ! It must have been amazing to hear this in the concert halls. Immersive is one word which comes to mind. I've also very much enjoyed the
    Phaedra out-takes, although I made my own mix so that they are seamless...that way it's less fragmented. Getting a lot of value out of this set !

Jimijam and Jmac1516 like this.
  5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

The fact is, he was In Search Of The Box!

6. KarlFarbman

KarlFarbman Forum Resident

I just pulled the trigger on this box from Burning Shed. Haven't had time yet to sift through entire thread. What seems to be the best price on this thing? I trust BShed so I went with them and Amazon US price is way too high. Is this a 2nd run of this box or a repressing? I seem to remember it being sold out before. I love TD Virgin era and Wilson always does a stellar job on remixes. Thanks for any info.

7. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

Congrats! Great box. Worth it. I got mine from Amazon.co.uk.

8. KarlFarbman

I looked there also and it was listed as out of stock, didn't want to take chances. I assume this box is a limited edition? Surprised that Bull Moose in the US isn't carrying this. I've got all the old Virgin cds but couldn't resist this.

9. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

If you like TD you'll be happy. If you like SW's remixing, you'll be happy. Bring it all together and you'll be....happy, happy, happy.

If it's coming from Burning Shed. at least it'll be well packaged and protected for the journey.

And if you want a fan's broad but brief reaction to the box, here's my blog review posted a week after I finished listening to everything:

Tangerine Dream – In Search Of Hades (The Virgin Recordings 1973 – 1979) (2019) (*****)

KarlFarbman, Meng and Plan9 like this.
  10. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Yes, I remember Tommy Vance playing that section! Unfortunately I only caught the last 5 minutes so it must have been the encore I heard. I thought it was sensational & it took years for me to track down a copy, I think 1999 or so...
    Good that you had your request played, great choice :righton:

11. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

"TV on the Radio!" (or"The Friday Rooooooooock Showwwwwwww"! )

Loved that show - I even won the Friday Night Connection, and happened to be taping the show that night, so I've got TV congratulating me on the airwaves, on a cassette that I still have.

Slim Zooms and ciderglider like this.
  12. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

How are people contacting Musicvaultz customer service that get a response? I've sent them three queries via their website since Saturday, and crickets.

13. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

Yaaayyyy! I love that stuff! Well done, nice memories. Great show, the archive sessions were always a highlight for me.
    I remember the night they played the TD Albert Hall snippet, so gutted I hadn't heard the rest of the show, probably was at the pub....oh to be 19 again...

14. KarlFarbman

Wow, just ordered from Burning Shed yesterday and I've already got a notification that the box will arrive on Monday from the UK to the US. Sweet.

Meng, HorrorCosmic and uzn007 like this.
  15. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

I used to tape a lot of those sessions, especially the Reading Rock sets. I still have a few of those tapes.

I also enjoyed the sessions by up and coming bands - Tony Wilson had a knack for engineering great results, which often sounded better audio-wise than the versions later recorded by bands on official albums. It's interesting to see that some of those bands later managed to acquire the tapes and include the sessions as bonus tracks on album reissues.

Slim Zooms likes this.
  16. HorrorCosmic

HorrorCosmic Forum Resident

It’s here!

It’s finally really here!

More later when I get the chance to digest some of it.

ispace, Runicen and Simon A like this.
  17. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I finally bit off on this from Burning Shed. I'm in the US, they say next week I should have it.

Simon A, uzn007 and HorrorCosmic like this.
  18. KarlFarbman

In anticipation for the box, I pulled out my original Virgin cds, which I admit I hadn't listened to in awhile but have had for years, and I always thought they sounded damn good. I think I saw negative comments on them in this thread, but to my ears pretty decent. Can't wait to hear these new mixes/masterings.

Simon A likes this.
  19. Valen2260

Valen2260 Forum Resident

I thought the same at the time the box set was announced, and really only pre-ordered it because of SW's input. But once you do a back-to-back between your original cds and these remasters, hopefully you'll hear an improvement - subtle but a warmer and slightly more open sound. [They've also fixed a sequencing glitch on Phaedra that was embedded in the previous "definitive edition" version.]

Slim Zooms and Simon A like this.
  20. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Arrrgghhhh, I can’t decide whether I want to buy this or not. 100% of my listening is now on vinyl while I work from home, or on digital in the car.

The CDs themselves would basically never get played. Is it crazy to contemplate paying £79 for the files from iTunes?

21. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Same here, mine arrived on Monday but was scheduled for Wednesday. I won't be able to listen to anything until tomorrow night but I did open the box to inspect the contents. One strange anomaly was that when I opened the hardbound book, all the printed pages were upside down. But not a big deal I guess. But one thing that did freak me out a bit was when I pulled the first set of discs 1-9 out and noticed that 2 CDs had become dislodged from the die cut holders and fallen to the bottom of the box! Luckily, nothing was scratched and I put them back in the set. I will definitely be ripping these discs over the weekend so I don't have to keep pulling these things in and out of the sleeves. I really wish they could have packaged the discs a bit more securely and scratch resistant than this.

Slim Zooms and uzn007 like this.
  22. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

If you have no interest in either the Blu-Ray discs with the hi-res Stereo, 5.1 mixes and video content and the beautifully lavish book, then sure, go for it. :)

Plan9, LivingForever and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  23. Slim Zooms

Slim Zooms Senior Member

I used to tape them too! Totally agree about the Tony Wilson aspect too.
    Happy, happy days bless old TV on the radio.

24. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Spinning Encore from the boxset now. Wow, probably THE one that benefits the most from this boxset remastering. A lot of harshness has been removed if compared to the definitive edition version. YMMV

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    uzn007, Simon A and ~dave~~wave~ like this.
  25. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I finally got a chance to listen to a little of this over the weekend. I wasn't able to do a side-by-side comparison with any of the vinyl, but I did listen to Phaedra and Rubycon and subjectively, they both sounded great. Rubycon had that deep "throb" that I love.

The package itself, as others have mentioned, is beautiful and very well-done. I enjoyed reading through the whole book, which is not always the case with releases like this. Lots of great photos, press clippings and informative liner notes.

Question for @Wouter : Is there anything visual that indicates the difference between a first pressing and a second pressing? Typographical errors corrected, or maybe a 'second pressing' notice with the copyright info?

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.