Steve's Analogue Productions Blue Note SACD/CD Sound Quality Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jpm-boston, Jan 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dee

dee Senior Member

For general information, for those whom it may concern, Amazon and their marketplace sellers are showing some of the titles as in stock and for purchase for under $30 - I'm just sayin'...

2. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Without looking it's my guess that Amazon now has the first 4 titles, not the latest releases. Still, if you don;t have any of the first four and want them that's good news.

3. dee

dee Senior Member

Yes, I think they - and their marketplace sellers who are advertising lower prices - have Lee Way, Cap Swing, Whistle Stop, and Blue Train.

4. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Have any more titles been released? I have the first four... looking for something to buy with all the 10% off coupons available this weekend...

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have 7 total now.

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Can you tell us what the other/newest 3 titles are?

7. therockman

No, I do not know what order I received them in. My collection consists of:

ART BLAKEY AND THE JAZZ MESSENGERS
    COLTRANE BLUE TRAIN
    JACKIE MC LEAN CAPUCHIN SWING
    DEXTER GORDON DEXTER CALLING
    LEE MORGAN LEEWAY
    ART TAYLOR AT'S DELIGHT
    KENNY DORHAM WHISTLE STOP
    FRED JACKSON HOOTIN' N TOOTIN'

8. therockman

I guess I miscounted, I have 8.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Thank you rockman. :thumbsup:

10. therockman

Man, I can't wait for the next shipment. I have not had a new one for over a month.

11. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I cant wait for Sidewinder.

12. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

The Sacd's of Cannonball Adderley "Somethin' Else" & Dexter Gordon "Go" were due out in late May, but have been backordered since!

Sacd's due out on July 10:

Hank Mobley "A Caddy For Daddy"
    John Patton "Along Came John"
    Joe Henderson "Page One"

13. Hiro

Hiro Forum Resident

Could anybody comment on the sound quality of Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Moanin SACD? I just checked cduniverse.com and found out it should be available in 5 days in their store :thumbsup:

14. Just wondering if anyone has Page One? I have pre-ordered it with CDPacific, it says it is due out next week.

I believe the RVG CD has the channels folded in, so I'm looking forward to the SACD without any channel narrowing.

15. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

This hasn't been released yet. Last I checked all of the release dates for the SACDs had been removed from the Acoustic Sounds site. I called and talked to the person in charge of the SACD series and was told that they did not know when the next set of SACDs would be available.

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Should we be worried about this?

17. therockman

I'm very worried. We have received zero of the Impulse SACD series, they have postponed the Blue Note XRCD series and now they have postponed the Analouge Productions Blue Note SACD series. I am going to call Oliver Stone.

18. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Couldn't that just mean that they're at the mercy of the SACD manufacturing facility that they use?

While I'm embarrassed that I paid $50 for the SACD box, I would be really upset if they ended up canceling the rest of the first Blue Note SACD series, thus leaving me with an incomplete box set.

I suspect that Analogue Productions is keeping that first Blue Note SACD series as their top SACD priority for that reason (and perhaps other reasons), so I don't expect to see any Impulse SACDs from them until the first Blue Note SACD series is (almost) finished.

Craig.

19. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Good point.

IIRC there is only one plant left and with what appears to be plenty of new SACDs released lately this could explain it.

20. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I believe that this is the real issue. Frankly, I can wait to get these wonderful discs, as long as I do eventually get them. As I am also subscribed the the MMJ 45 rpm vinyl series, I am happy not to be spending $200 a month on 2 lps and 3 SACDs.

21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Maybe the pressing plant is too busy pumping out Nat King Cole SACDs ;)

22. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

It is the stereo version - low and laid back. I wonder what the MONO master tapes are like?

The RVG CD version (mono) has the energy I like in this one.

Any comments on the Classics 200 gm mono vs the AP 45s?

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Haven't read this thread but I did see this post. The MONO master tapes do not exist, they never did. The mono tape was made by combining the channels of the stereo tape and compressing the **** out of it. That's probably the energy you are hearing (lack of dynamic range). I suggest when you play the stereo version you increase the volume a bit. That should do.

Attached Files:

GruvyWade likes this.
  24. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

I appreciate your insights

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.