SH Spotlight Steve's Mastering Secrets, Part II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by salleno, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salleno

salleno Forum Resident Thread Starter

Another question for Steve:

What did you do to Marilyn Monroe's "I Wanna Be Loved By You" track in the Club Verboten set? Also, what did you do to Chet Baker's "My Funny Valentine"? It's the best version I have ever heard.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don't remember, sorry.

3. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

Steve,

I've just started getting some of your old "Rock of the 70's" and "Reelin' in the Years" discs. I love the sound!

Two questions: Did you use the same type of method as with DCC gold CDs, like using vintage tube gear? I noticed that "You're No Good" on the "Rock" CD sounds a little different than the version on the "Greatest Hits" gold CD. Not in a bad way, just somehow different.

Also, is the mastering for the "Reeling in the Years" and "Rock of the 70's" discs identical for each of the volumes? Both have the same songs, just different sequencing. (The Reeling in the Years CD's are cheaper :shh: )

4. Steve Hoffman

Same mastering on both. Same techniques on the series, song by song decisions...

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Nice description.

In my opinion, nothing comes even close to the 3, 4 and 8 track recordings of the 1960's.

I've a question about the "Toga Rock Vol. 2" cd. The version of Rare Earth's "Get Ready" is the same performance" as the 45. However, I have noticed the "canned" applause that was on the 45 and LP versions is absent. Did you remix this song or was this an unused mix without the applasue. Those Toga Rock cd's sound great by the way. :righton:

6. Steve Hoffman

Good question!

That was the mix without the fake applause. Actually it was the full length version and I did the edit myself. Right from Motown for us. Nice of them!

7. pool_of_tears

Thanks for that Steve. I never knew there was a mix done without the applause. Very interesting.

8. Steve Hoffman

Oh yeah, the fake "crowd" was an afterthought for sure. Album already in the can and everything.

The Motown vault guy found the tape marked "Do Not Use"!:righton:

9. pool_of_tears

Oh wow! So that means the TOGA ROCK II version is from the 1st generation tapes (per your motto/policy) and all others were 2nd generation w/the dubbed applause. I wonder if the same is true of their 1971 "In Concert" live album which has extra applause added in spots.

Even though the old Motown Rare Earth Cd's mastered by John Matousek sound good, I'd sure love to hear what you could bring to albums like Get Ready, Ecology, etc...

That's all.

10. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

Thanks a lot :) The ones I have so far are great collections of songs.

11. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Whatever you say, Steve...

12. Steve Hoffman

Honest, I've heard the tapes. No offense but shouldn't you compare the SAME album if you want to do this?

By the way, Bad Company fans, a part of one of the songs on the Gold CD I did was damaged and I had to remix the segment from the multi-track and splice it in. Can you guess what and where it was? I think I matched it so good that you can't....

13. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Gee Steve, that would be a treat, but is there an album on CD that both you and Barry did masterings for? Your discography is pretty complete, but Barry's is not (but hopefully we're getting there), and that makes it a bit difficult.

14. Steve Hoffman

15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The only copy I've ever had is yours. About how long a section?

16. Steve Hoffman

20 seconds or so..

17. GabeG

GabeG New Member

But, all of dcc's gold discs were $30?

Isn't this the going price for audiophile cds??

18. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

This sounds like the making of a fundraiser.

Donate $5 as your entry fee and guess what part of the song Steve had to mix and splice in. Then give some prize as the incentive to who ever sent the correct answer in first.

19. salleno

salleno Forum Resident Thread Starter

LOL! That's a great idea!!!

Another question for Steve:

We all know you work in the analog domain of audio and that you don't like digital EQ. However, what's the most decent digital EQ you have ever heard?

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's dedication! remixing 20 seconds!

21. Steve Hoffman

Most decent? Can't answer that, haven't tried enough of them. I don't do much equalizing in the digital domain. I like the one at AcousTech OK if I have to use it but it is so clinical it really doesn't do a thing for me emotionally.:)

22. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Sorry, i don't know that copy of Bad Company - i have that pink Island LP.

I came across a Compilation CD with Steve Hoffman's name on it just a few weeks ago. It is called "70's Rock Classics Vol.1" from 1992... a pity it is a bit short - 45 minutes or so; but extremely good . Real fine Song selection and what's striking me most about that CD is the superb sound of each Track on it and the overall sound level. Usually you don't expect wonders from a Compilation of different mastered stuff, but somehow Steve managed to breath some of that tube magic into the tracks, esp. when i play that CD loud, the results are amazing. Thanks for that fine work! How many Volumes are out there and which songs were the hardest to tweak up to such a brilliant level of Sound ?

23. Steve Hoffman

I think there were 10 volumes, right, guys?

Wasn't this covered in the older "Secrets" thread?

At any rate, it was a fun series, a challenge to get all the songs to "float in the same boat", sonically and dynamically speaking but I figured it out..

24. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Thanks for that fast response. I bet getting all those different masters sounding like coming from one source was hard work. 10 Volumes ? Great. :goodie:
    I will check for the older threads and have a look....

25. Steve Hoffman

Baron,

It's just a question of reducing the volume level of the more dynamically compressed mixes a bit and raising the level of the wide range stuff. An old "fool the ears" trick I learned from a mastering engineer named Dave Hernandez over at Future Disc Systems in Hollywood a long time ago. It's hard to look away from the meters when you see something not hitting "zero" but the most compressed it is the louder it sounds, even if it's not close to hitting 0 max.. In other words, you have to set the levels by ear alone and not count on the meters to tell you the truth because they won't in this case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.