SH Spotlight Steve's Mastering Secrets, Part II

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by salleno, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You're talking about a digital recording, correct? Well, other than one or two I don't usually work with digital stuff. Can't really recall at the moment.

I thought you were speaking of a digital master made from an analog tape. Different animal.

2. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

Correct. :)

3. salleno

salleno Forum Resident Thread Starter

WOW. I never thought it would take a flat transfer of this song so it could sound so good. :righton:

Did you ever get to work on any other Louis Armstrong tracks that were never released?

4. Steve Hoffman

It's not the flat transfer but using the correct tape that counts.

OR:

It's not the transfer, it's what you make it FROM that counts.

(Which sounds more like a line from THE WILD BUNCH?)

5. vinylluvr

vinylluvr New Member

Do you mean that you didn't have to compensate for all the fidelity and "space" that was lost during the transfer to DAT? I thought digital = loss of fidelity and detail?!?

6. Steve Hoffman

Do you really need an answer?:confused:

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Here you go... My copy of The O'Jays SHIP AHOY - Dolby and Quad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. vinylluvr

vinylluvr New Member

Sorry, I don't get your response. Unless I misunderstood, it sounded like you were saying that because it was a DAT flat transfer, you didn't need to adjust anything. I thought the general consensus here was that transferring to digital loses information and "feel". Now I'm confused.

9. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Way cool, Martin!

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

jborsma,

If a master tape is a flat transfer to DAT, that's a 16 bit 44.1 that can be used straight to CD. Once it's on DAT, it's preserved for the format. That's pretty much the best that can be done, especially if there's no EQ in the chain needed.
    So it came from a 1/4" track master to DAT, straight. There's no such thing as loss conceptually. I mean, short of having the master tape to play. Does this make sense?

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I got that from someone thru eBay who (on the receipt) named his store Ben Dover. Smart a**... ;)

12. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Steve,

Not sure if this has been covered, any recollection on the Ray Charles Ingredients in Recipe for Soul Personality CD?

13. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I thought most DAT's were 16 bit 48kHz?

14. Steve Hoffman

No, user choice.

15. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I sit corrected.

16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

A simple question:

What makes you decide that something needs to be remixed?

Evan

17. Steve Hoffman

A very valid question. As you know, in my DCC and later stuff I only remixed something if I felt it needed it. For example, most stuff on Capitol recorded in stereo from 1956-61 sounds wonderful on the three-tracks. It's the "reduction" to two channel that drenched it in reverb, had the orchestra out of phase, had too much compression, EQ and other weird stuff done to it. OK for a 1958 phonograph but nothing to write home about compared to the actual three-track tape. So, I do a new transfer of the three track and there you have it.

Now, a studio like UNITED/WESTERN did that stuff right on to the three channel tape for the most part, in other words the EQ, compression, reverb and murk/goosh stuff is right on the three track. The three to two reduction is simply that, a transfer to two channels with basically the same sound. Sometimes the three sounds better than the two but not always. At CAPITOL the three always sounds 80% better than the two. Around 1961 this changed a bit and the mono room and stereo room became one room with matching sound on both.

So, does that help a bit? If not, I can blather even more..

18. Zowie

Zowie Forum Resident

Damn ... I love reading this stuff.

19. Zowie

Zowie Forum Resident

Steve ...

I've owned the album of "A Nod's As Good As A Wink ..." since my best friends older sister (long story) gave it to me in 1975.

She said "you love this more than I do" ... I was 15. (as I said 1975)

I thought I knew this LP inside out ...

you made this perfect.

I adore your 24kt version .... thanks.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Steve...

did you any special treatment on Frank Sinatra's Duets (Vol.1/2). I remember... DCC released the Gold discs a few months after the official release by Capitol. It sounds like a flat transfer to me.

Any memories about Coltrane's Lush Life? That's one of my favorite Jazz records. I love the sound of the DCC Gold discs... I've never heard the Analague Prod. pressing (45 rpm).

21. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Steve: This is fascinating, and, as usual, I am learning. As someone else posted above, please blather on as you see fit. Thanks!!

22. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Does this mean my Merle Haggard Capitol Collector's Series ('66-'76) won't sound as good as my Hank Thompson Capitol Collector's Series ('47-'61)? The Thompson disc sounds fantastic! The Haggard sounds pretty damn good too.

23. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, great album. Didn't have to do much to it. You can turn our Gold CD version up really loud and it holds together. A big plus from other versions I've heard..

24. Steve Hoffman

Duets? Blocked it out of my mind, sorry. Not a flat transfer though..

Lush Life. Three different sessions on that tape (it being a bunch of leftovers from various Prestige sessions). You can hear Rudy's recording technique evolve (or some would say devolve) when you compare the songs. Best sounding to me (been awhile) is the sax/bass/drum recording. It sounds the most pure. Have not heard in a long while though..

25. Steve Hoffman

Early Haggard on Captiol has the over-echo sound that I dislike but I've never worked with any multi so I have no idea how they sound. By 1968 or so they went to 8 track which was a new ballgame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.