Stevie Wonder "Innervisions" original USA CD issue, I need a copy, fast!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I need to hear it. This is the FIRST CD issue, made from the lackluster cutting dub. The disc should sound like the tape heads hadn't been cleaned in 20 years.

Do you have an original CD to sell? It's confusing out there at Amazon, etc. as to what they are selling. Many copies, mostly 1993 or 2000 remasters. There is an original CD, that's the one I need.

I believe it was first issued on Tamla or Motown in the USA in 1989 or 1990: Catalog number 3746303262. That's the one I need, unless you know of an older issue.

If you have more info please add here.

If you have this and want to loan or sell, PM me, please, there is a time factor in this so, HELP!

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Are you sure the Tamla CD wasn't first, Steve? Or did the Motown use the same mastering?

3. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

4. Steve Hoffman

I have NO idea, GP, it's murky. No one is quite sure. The books say the 1990 version was the first CD issue but I remember it coming out in like 1987, but perhaps that was a foreign issue.

Someone here has gotta know!!

5. Not AJB

Not AJB Shark Repellent Bat Spray!

Hi Steve: I've got the CD you've described. It's not dated except for the orig. release year, 1973 -- so I cannot vouch for whether it is first CD issue or not. Just let me know if I can help...

6. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

Released in Japan in 1986, The Netherlands in 1987.

First US release 1990 Motown 3746303262

7. George P

George P Notable Member

I can now confirm that the Tamla MCD09052MD and the Motown 3746303262 share the same mastering.

8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

My copy is Tamla cat# TCD06152TD.
    US release but disc manufactured by SANYO in Japan
    Pretty sure it came out in '87 (or earlier) because that's the year I went to Reno which is where I bought it.
    And yes, it sounds pretty murky.
    Can't say I'm keen to sell it but perhaps other arrangements can be made?

Mal likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

The catalog number? The label?

10. Steve - I have what appears to be the original CD on Tamla, catalog # TCD06152TD. The only date shown on the packaging and the disc is the original copy wright 1973. It doesn't say anything about being remastered. I also thought I bought this about 1987, but unfortunately, I can't remember for sure.

I believe you meant the date of issue was murky, not the sound. It doesn't sound murky to me, I think it sounds great.

11. Not AJB

Not AJB Shark Repellent Bat Spray!

Motown 3746303262

12. Steve Hoffman

That'd be it. Can you PM me?

13. spencer1

I have this one.
    Holler if you want it.

Release history - http://www.discogs.com/master/view/86466

14. spencer1

15. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

I wonder if the 1993 CD's were simply reissues by Polygram.

16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Permission to speculate wildly, Cap'n? :laugh:

elgoodo and BeatlesBop like this.
  17. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I've got the Motown 3746303262.

If you come up empty elsewhere, I'll be happy to loan it out. Not for sale, though.

Though I don't believe this is rare, yah?

18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I wonder if the MFSL is phase inverted with respect to the original US issue (Tamla - TCD06152TD pressed by Sanyo in Japan) - sounds that way. If I'm not mistaken, the MFSL is 'correct'.

Also, the MFSL is clearly superior in terms of detail and EQ. The original isn't terrible but it sounds thin and a little dull in comparison (even when phase corrected).

19. Steve Hoffman

Nah, I think the MFSL is just the same old cutting dub, correctly Dolby A decoded (for once) but with about 6 db added at 10k. In other words, dull with top end boost. Remove the boost with EQ and it sounds "right" (or how it was meant to sound). That's why I like it..

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Right - a better transfer and EQ :agree:

Handy to have the phase 'correct' too ;)

21. Steve Hoffman

Si.

Mal, is Tamla - TCD06152TD the same as the 1990 Motown mastering?

22. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Same EAC peak levels as my Tamla Motown WD72606 German SONOPRESS (late 80s?) - can't listen to it right now but I assume it's a clone.

23. Miche

Miche Forum Resident

Guess this is resolved now. But I have an early release... I am in Sweden so I can rip the cd and send the wav / iso files via file host.Or do you want the actual Cd-media?

MusicNut27 likes this.
  24. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

Why do you need this? And isn't that Audio Fidelity release the best digital version available?

25. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This is not the first U.S. release. I know of these three earlier U.S. issues:

1. Catalog number TCD06152TD, pressed in Japan by Sanyo

2. Catalog number MCD09052MD, pressed in Japan by Sanyo (The disc shows the Tamla logo, but it bears a Motown catalog number.)

3. Catalog number MCD09052MD, pressed in the U.S. by Sanyo (The disc shows the Tamla logo, but it bears a Motown catalog number.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.