Sting "57th & 9th" - New Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vertigone, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

It's a Philips SBC HP890, just updated my profile, thanks.

2. Grassy Sound

Grassy Sound Hopeful yet discontent.

He can still hit that high note at the end of Roxanne!!

3. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Oct.2 : today is Sting's 67th birthday .... :cheers:

Szeppelin75 and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

I'm a bit late to getting around to buying this, but was disappointed when I got a copy in the truly despicable cardboard scratch-a-matic/glue and fingerprint jackets. To confirm what you're saying, can anyone else who owns the UK Deluxe version confirm that the UK/Euro Deluxe version comes in a jewel case? Someone selling a copy on ebay — but asking too much for it — posted photos instead of using ebay's stock front cover photo and the tray card has title spines on both sides so it's obviously from a jewel case, but the thing that baffles me is that the ISBN number in the photo is identical to the cardboard one I just received. Are ISBN numbers the same worldwide? If so I honestly didn't know that, but it makes buying it and getting the correct version a bit of a challenge, and of course a lot of the 3rd party dealers on ebay and Amazon are these mega-dealer companies with 104,000 feedbacks who don't allow asking product questions about items because they're too big or they are conglomerates of various indie stores; so, order and cross your fingers. Adding to the confusion, the waste-of-time Super Deluxe Edition box which I believe is a European release ... has a double-pocket cardboard jacket — not a jewel case — that holds both the Deluxe CD and the DVD with one live song and interviews. All I want is the Deluxe CD in a jewel case!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

My UK Deluxe is cardboard sleeve.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I can recommend the Japanese deluxe pressing, with extra tracks from Bataclan. My EU deluxe has a cardboard sleeve.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Baffling as to what Mirrorblade.1 was referring to then, when he said back in 2017 that his "overseas" copy is in a jewel case. I guess I should write him!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I was looking around on Discogs, this one from Japan, the same one that Johan1880 mentioned, states that it comes in a jewel case, every other entry I looked at says cardboard style wallet.
    Sting - 57th & 9th (Japan Tour Edition)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Jewel case with cardboard slipcase

10. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

This is what's throwing me: this listing on ebay. Look at the photos. The center pic clearly shows a tray card with title spines on both sides, indicating it's from a jewel case, but there is no mention of it being the "tour edition" or having a bonus disc or anything else. I notice the back cover does not have the FBI warning logo, but the fine print on both the tray card and the CD itself is too small and blurry to read. Same ISBN number. I was thinking ... Russian boot? But the dealer — who clams to have five copies and says it's on Interscope (USA) — has nearly a perfect rating and no complaints of selling counterfeits. Sting NEW 57TH & 9TH Deluxe Edition Includes 3 Bonus Tracks | eBay.
    So I'm baffled...

UPDATE: So I looked on Discogs and checked out the Russian version. I think that's what's in the dealer's photos, as the back cover in this Discogs version is exactly the same as theirs, no FBI warning, in a jewel case etc. so I am assuming that's what they have. Sting - 57th & 9th

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

UPDATE #2 (which I wrote but missed adding to my previous post by about a minute.): The dealer on ebay replied that their copies are still sealed and in jewel cases, so I looked at their very few negative (2) and neutral (5) feedbacks from the past year and ... three of them were complaints of receiving Russian counterfeits. I think the mystery is solved. Thanks for the responses above :righton:

BONUS (and final) UPDATE #3 AT NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE: so having accepted the copy I received in the cardboard jacket was unfortunately the only way it comes (not counting the Japanese tour edition, the only legit jewel case version), I decided to examine it. The dealer had rather foolishly not only taped it shut but also attached a note with tape to the front cover about wanting to buy books, not a great idea on a cardboard cover but I was able to carefully remove both piece of tape with damaging the artwork. So I tried to remove the CD and ... it was stuck. So I had to grab it with both fingers to finally get it out and — guess where this is going — it had glue on the edge of the disc. Shades of Neil Young's first Archives box and many other CDs that come in these abysmal cardboard sleeves! Artists that are persuaded to use these by their managers or labels or own ignorance to save a few pennies or because they feel it's protecting the environment really should give it a second thought. Or at least put them in an inner sleeve!!!

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    JasonA and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Sigh ... I missed my ability to correct a typo I noticed after posting by one minute — again; how about expanding the edit window time to an hour? Ha! :angel: — but the line that said, "I was able to carefully remove both piece of tape with damaging the artwork" should've said: "I was able to carefully remove both pieces of tape without damaging the artwork."

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

this has stopped me from buying a few cd's are 2nd and Charles. they tape the cardboard cases shut and then the artwork gets damaged

14. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

What's his new album like, the rehash of old songs called 'My Songs' ?

15. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

More often than you think, the sad part is nobody really pays attention to these artist the way they truly deserve!

16. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

It’s not out until this Friday, but there’s a thread about it here:
    Sting releasing new album: 'My Songs'

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Paul Sinclair didn't seem to care for it: Review: Sting My Songs | superdeluxeedition

That's pretty much how I felt about the tracks I've heard so far. I usually enjoy a good remix or re-recording but what's the point if it's worse than the original?

JeffMo and Rufus rag like this.
  18. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Listening to his new version of “Every Breath” I came to the same conclusion as Paul Sinclair — it’s probably another album of remakes made for the purpose of licensing to soundtracks, commercials, etc. It also gives him versions of the Police songs that Andy and Stewart don’t have any say over (although isn’t the songwriter the only person who sees any money from licensing anyway?)

Rufus rag, jamesc and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

I think the other guys would get money from mechanical rights it the originals were licensed to soundtracks.

Sting performed a new version of something on the Red Nose Day TV special. I was not impressed. I don't like remakes or re-recordings in general.

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.