Stone Roses - all over?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jun 25, 2019.

1. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

You really can't go wrong with the "reform, make a ton of money, don't record anything new, go back to solo careers richer than God" template followed by Pavement, the Replacements, and (for all intents and purposes) the Roses.

The Pixies did it right for a good long while but just couldn't leave it alone.

2. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

Why not?

Rubberpigg and JuanTCB like this.
  3. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Breaking Into Heaven, Driving South, Tears, and Love Spreads are all amazing songs and were well worth another Roses record imo

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  4. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hope we will be spared John Squire singing again on any future solo work. That certainly wasn't a 'beautiful thing'.

5. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I think he'd rejoin them in a second but they have a very good bassist that would be left in the cold.

6. Figure of Eight

Ian Brown's always been criticised for the shortcomings of his voice, particularly on Second Coming when it was arguably at its worst, but I'm telling you, I'd still take Ian Brown on a bad day over when I saw John Squire make a hash of singing Stone Roses songs during one of his solo performances I caught at a festival.

Beamish13 and hutlock like this.
  7. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seemed to be some suggestion of tension between Reni and Ian Brown in some of the reunion concerts so perhaps that is the reason for the band not continuing, and also maybe for Reni's original departure in 1995. Shame as the general dynamic in the band seems so great, at least on the surface.

8. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

If we're honest with ourselves, the party has been over since '94 hasn't it.

And whilst I'd have loved for the Roses to have given us more than just the amazing legendary debut and the good-but-never-going-to-match 2nd album (and an excellent "album" of b sides) it's one hell of a legacy and their reputation is well in tact still.

9. RedRoseSpeedway

Love this interview

Gavinyl and FredHubbard like this.
  10. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

I see that show on youtube and have to say everything is on fire, brown sounds better than you think possible. glad they at least smashed it in New York

11. Figure of Eight

Ah yes, and this is the thing - considering that Turns Into Stone is a b-sides compilation, I believe that it actually works well as an album in its own right, and to be honest it's the album of theirs that I listen to the most, over both the debut and Second Coming.

12. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

I just think their respective solo attempts demonstrate that they have already peaked and that they will only tarnish their reputation.

OasisFan and Man at C&A like this.
  13. RedRoseSpeedway

The Pistols reuinion gave people more opportunities to see them, especially fans who were a bit young at the time, so that’s fun

Rubberpigg, eddiel, DTK and 4 others like this.
  14. Welshman

Welshman Forum Resident

Taking a (depressing) look at the timescales involved, they peaked 30 years ago, so expecting them to come back with something really great now would have been like hoping the kinks/stones /who etc were going to deliver a classic in the mid-late 90s.

15. Figure of Eight

I disagree. Obviously The Smiths have never reformed, but the other three have and a lot of people enjoyed the gigs they played when they did. There's even people in this very thread praising the Roses' reunion gigs. I don't think any of those acts tarnished their reputation, either. "All For One" didn't exactly set the world on fire, but it didn't tarnish the Stone Roses' reputation, nor did the Sex Pistols' gigs tarnish theirs, and nor did The Libertines' third album tarnish theirs.

cyril sneer likes this.
  16. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Love The Roses but struggle to get through anything they released after the One Love single. I always hated Second Coming. I did still buy everything except their two last singles. Sadly I only saw them once at Whitley Bay ice rink in 95 and Reni wasn't on drums by then.

finsaah and CaptainFeedback1 like this.
  17. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I was at that Whitley Bay gig. It was brilliant.

Saw both Leeds Arena shows in 2017 - absolutely fantastic. I think that’s it though - the single was a shocker and time moves on and it just isn’t the same anymore. They were a ‘zeitgeist’ band and that ‘zeitgeist’ has long since passed...

Jarra Lad likes this.
  18. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

7 long years since they reunited or is it 8? What a joke.

I’m really not interested even if they did manage to squeeze out an album, the singles a few years ago stunk up the joint.

One of the biggest musical disappointments and work rates ever.

I say that as a fan of Second Coming.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  19. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Reni is a bit of a diva, it has to be said!

CaptainFeedback1 and DTK like this.
  20. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

If Liam Gallagher had sang all of the Stone Roses stuff instead of Oasis, then we might have had a decent band between the two of 'em.

21. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

eurgh!

DiBosco, DTK, theMess and 2 others like this.
  22. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

It's already eurgh!, twice over, hence the suggestion. Get Bez in on maracas. That'd liven it up a bit.

And if not Liam, then Marvin, the robot from the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. I'm sure he would have sounded livelier than Ian Brown's disinterested sounding mumbles.

I really wanted to like them at the time, but if he's too cool to sing properly, having to play it down all the time, then I couldn't be bothered either.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  23. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Absolutely. Pixies got a lot of **** from people who do didn't even care/know/were too young to enjoy Pixies at the time, for the most part. You couldn't expect them to release "Bossanova part 2"after all these years. And honestly, I thought it was all very decent : still better than many solo Frank Black releases.

The same applies to the Smashing Pumpkins I have been a huge fan of. People had high hopes with the return of James Iha. I had not. I absolutely love James, and it's a joy to see him - but I knew there was no way Billy's material would match, and he would still have his current vocal mannerisms. It was OBVIOUS. The last release sounds just like what BC has been releasing. It's another "Monuments to an Elegy", the second to last album, it just happens to have 2/3 of the original band on it. The material is not any better.

DTK likes this.
  24. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

The self titled Stone Roses album is such a great album. One of those albums that just flows so well and it doesn't seem to age. It could be released today and it would still sound fresh and new. The follow-up was a massive let down though. It really is for die-hards only. It didn't help that it took so long to release the follow up either. A lot actually happened in the rock scene inbetween those two albums.

25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

The first album is very surprising in that it doesn't really sound like an album from 1989 - there are some very dated albums from that year because of their production. The bottom line is it's an album full of classic pop songs. You can apply it to many albums that did well. People can apply genres on them all they want : pop songs do the job.

I remember that Rock n' Folk picked "The Second Coming" as their album of the month. One of the band members (don't remember who) said "really? Can I have copies? I'll use the review as wallpaper in my room...".

hutlock likes this.