Stone Roses - all over?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Madrid, Jun 25, 2019.

1. RoryMcBride

RoryMcBride Forum Resident

Given Morrissey's current view of the world alienating Smiths fans, I hope we get The Smiths + Adam Lambert in the next few years.

2. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Stone Roses Album is 30 years old this year, I sure there will be something put out again

3. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

If we're talking strictly in terms of the production, then in that respect the Roses' debut definitely displays a lot of hallmarks of late '80s production trends.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The over-exploitation of that album is not really the fault of The Stone Roses themselves. Up to 2002 it was in the hands of Silvertone/Zomba, then acquired by BMG and finally Sony. It's an album that has been comprehensively asset-stripped along the way.

DTK likes this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I liked the two new songs, All For One, and especially Beautiful Thing. But fans and critics went on a stampede rubbishing both, and they got what they wanted, the band breaking up. Hope everyone's happy! There's always the debut to listen to again and again and pretend the band didn't exist post 1989.

DHamilton and twicks like this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

So you're saying these musicians don't deserve to utilize their talent and make music after a certain point that you decide? You should be a dictator.

7. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Nobody is stopping anyone from utilizing their talent. We just ask they don't do it as "band we loved but has been broken up for over a decade."

8. chromewaves

chromewaves Forum Resident

I greatly enjoyed the MSG show, and that Ian could mostly sing in key if not remember all the lyrics or hit his cues made it worth what I ended up paying for floors...

"Don't be sad it's over, be happy it happened" indeed.

[​IMG]20160630 The Stone Roses by Frank Yang, on Flickr

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think it's pretty crappy attitude. As the saying go, don't listen if you don't like it. Just ease off on the non-productive complaining.

johnnybrum and twicks like this.
  10. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

People love to hate, especially on this forum, I can never understand it.

11. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there were any other tracks recorded after the reunion apart from the two singles?

Beamish13 likes this.
  12. TheWalrusWasPaul

TheWalrusWasPaul Forum Resident

The part that destroyed the creative was realising they'd made a genre defining album and not made a penny from it.

Oh and cocaine is a hell of a drug.

hutlock and twicks like this.
  13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Actually, I think it's great if they want to get together and play old stuff. Just know when your creative moment as a unit has passed and keep working with new people on the side. That's respectable (and respectful).

14. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Personally, I'm glad they didn't record a new album if the caliber of those two songs were anything to go by. That said, the New York reunion show was tremendous.

15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I applaud your negativity! Takes so much effort. Outta this thread, bye.

16. Libertine1967

Libertine1967 Well-Known Member

I’m going to agree that the Libertines 3rd album isn’t as good as their first two. However it was very well received by both critics and fans and certainly has some great songs. Definitely no dud album. I admire them for taking on the challenge rather than becoming a nostalgia band in their mid 30’s. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if their next one is fabulous.
    It seems like the Roses realised they too would have to take that challenge to carry on as a serious band, and although those two new songs were hardly earth shattering, the social media reaction was ridiculously harsh. Has anyone listened to UK chart music recently? It stinks!

CrombyMouse likes this.
  17. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I love the debut LP & Second Coming but the two tracks they recorded after the reunion were well beneath their level, I fail to see how anyone can disagree.

I'll stick with the memories from '88 to '95 when they were the best band in the World.

18. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The greatest concert going experience of my life..Waited 20 years for this to happen and it far exceeded my expectations. Literally cried tears of joy afterwards..

clarkydaz and Madrid like this.
  19. Figure of Eight

Figure of Eight Forum Resident

It's not the job of the fan to make artistic judgement calls on behalf of the artist. The way it works is that the artist makes the record, you choose whether or not you want to consume that art, they cancel each other out and you owe each other nothing.

D.B. likes this.
  20. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

We're all entitled to an opinion and we're not always going to agree. As a Roses fan since 1988 I found it well below par and it seems I'm not the only one. Anyway, sorry that you're leaving the thread.

21. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone ever hear anything of Reni's post Roses band The Rub, where he sung and played guitar?

22. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

those 2 songs were likely feelers to see if the new album was worth following up with

Mook likes this.
  23. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Lots of stuff on youtube..that came and went rather quickly

granata likes this.
  24. Courtfield Road

Courtfield Road Forum Resident

The debut album is perfect.

When John got bitten by the Page bug it turned in to a guitar wank fest.

25. Courtfield Road

Courtfield Road Forum Resident

Was thinking back to when I felt it had lost something and I think you've found it. I remember buying One Love and thinking hmm, something's different., it's just kind of, ok.