Stoner movies: your favorites and why?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Mar 15, 2023.

1. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Yet ALICE'S RESTAURANT doesn't have a happy ending. I like the movie, btw. But the ending is not a happy one.

2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I caught this movie one night somewhere in the middle and I was a bit stoned but it totally had me spellbound.
    I remember having the Research CD with that image on the cover and one day I just had to find out what the title of the movie was (it wasn't credited on the CD) and it took awhile but I finally figured it out.

barryalan likes this.
  3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Happier than Easy Rider...

KeninDC and 64FALCON like this.
  4. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

The ultimate stoner movie is The Wizard of Oz, and stoners know exactly what I mean by this.

5. poppys

poppys Senior Member

People timed hallucinogenics to hit when it changed from b/w to color (with varying degrees of success).

proedros likes this.
  6. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw where a couple people mentioned Apocalypse Now. There is another Vietnam War movie that could be considered one too in Platoon. Half the platoon were stoners (lead by Willem Dafoe's character) and half were not stoners (led by Tom Berenger's character.) There was a scene in that movie that was very psychedelic when Charlie Sheen's character walks in the den/barracks of Dafoe's group in which they are all stoned out of their minds and Dafoe blows his pot smoke in the face of another to get him high. And of course, like Apocalypse Now, the music soundtrack helped with the setting of that scene....I can't remember what song for certain, but if I'm not mistaken, it was Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit" that was playing during that scene.

proedros likes this.
  7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm going to have to say More, the film with the Floyd music. Is that a 'dope' enough answer?

8. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

Dazed and Confused , is the first movie that came to mind

'' let's go smoke a joint on the 50 yard line''

what a great movie

Danny Coffin and Bowie Fett like this.
  9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Dafoe doesn't blow smoke in the guy's face. He blows the smoke down the length of a rifle barrel.
    But you're right about 'White Rabbit'. And later in the scene when they're all high as kites they sing along and dance to ' The Tracks Of My Tears'

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

That is correct. Forgot about that. Was thinking he just blew smoke in the guy's face.

11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that went by me when I was 5 years old and still is...

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

Now, DRUNK MOVIES are a new category! Lol.

BTW, I love both those film. You have to realize the whole thing is a game to Chinaski and he's head and shoulders above the rest in brains and he's there for the color and the stories. Of course, Bukowski doesn't pull the punches on how f*(*ked up Henry is, or how awful life is. But he's our faithful narrator who we trust as being our guru to the gutter.

hyde park likes this.
  13. Danswift

Danswift Forum Resident

[​IMG]

poppys likes this.
  14. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

A blowback. Probably a thing of the past these days.

15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I like More quite a bit and own it on blu-ray. I think it qualifies, although in the end, it's a big downer of a film. Barbet Schroeder's La Vallee is also quite dreamlike and has a stoner vibe about it.

beccabear67 likes this.
  16. Rodant Kapoor

Rodant Kapoor Forum Resident

Idiocracy is a classic in my book. Stoned or sober, I love it!

17. Also, Tom Berenger's character walks in on the party, drunk on whiskey, and takes a token hit of the weed himself, to show all the stoners that he can handle their hippie drugs.

Platoon isn't a stoner movie, per se. But it's the movie that tracks most accurately to the recollections I've heard from 11-Bravos and Marines who were there.

proedros likes this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

That scene is much later in the movie.
    It happens after Berenger kills Dafoe.

19. interesting. I really haven't seen Platoon since its first theater release.

20. Wildest cat from montana

Time for a rewatch!

proedros and Panama Hotel like this.
  21. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Good example of a movie that manages to capture the spirit of the book... Another good one is Gilliam's Fear and Loathing, which is also a good drug movie...

22. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

23. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I like his Tolkein cartoon that show a band of groovy orcs with a band.:edthumbs:

24. poppys

poppys Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Mac & Devin Go to High School

25. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident