Stoner thread, essential albums of a Stoner/Psychedelic rock/metal collection.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Destrolyer, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

its the same four words buddy, doesn't matter which order you put them in. Slayer, Paul McCartney & Kraftwerk aren't within a cooee of anything resembling "psychedelic stoner rock metal" (< re-arrange words to suit)

2. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

If McCartney's music isn't 'stoner' music, then I don't know what is.

drasil and joeyhays like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

My favorite stoner album is. . . Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Stone Flower." Doesn't fall into the OP's category, but it's truly a stoner classic.

ianuaditis and SuntoryTime like this.
  4. Say

Say Forum Resident

When it came out J.M.Jarre's Oxygen may not have been rock but it had 'stoner' written all over it.

SuntoryTime and Roninblues like this.
  5. Destrolyer

Destrolyer New Member Thread Starter

LoL what I know Slayer is not Stoner but anyway great album !

TSWisla and stay crunchy like this.
  6. Destrolyer

I didn't mean stoner music I'm specifically asking for Stoner Rock or Stoner Metal or Psychedelic rock or Psychedelic Metal

Vernoona likes this.
  7. Destrolyer

The albums I've got are:
    Graveyard - Graveyard
    Stoned Jesus - Seven Thunders Roar
    Stoned Jesus - First Communion
    Electric Moon - Inferno

Then albums I wished I have are:
    Colour Haze - CO2
    The Machine - Solar Corona
    and some other :p

8. Stan

Stan Forum Resident

9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I used to listen to Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares a lot while tripping

SuntoryTime likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

From your recommendations, I'd say you don't either though I'll cede you Bongrippper.

11. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I don't know. Slayer is termed "thrash", right? To me it's Metal that sounds good while Stoned. Stoner Metal.

stay crunchy likes this.
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

What about Sublime or Goldfinger?

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

14. stonedhenge

stonedhenge Forum Resident

No love for Arbouretum here?
    And Hawkwind's Space Ritual is a classic of the genre

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Kadaver's first album... great trio from Berlin.

Mad shadows likes this.
  16. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Other than the classics like Trouble, Kyuss, Electric Wizard and Monster Magnet, I think anything with Wino on it--Saint Vitus, Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, and the countless other bands he's been in should be mentioned. The Obsessed's in particular, is one of my favorites. AS far as current acts, Church Of Misery, despite the serial killer schtick, is as consistent a band there is. The album Warhorse put out around 15 years ago is great, and the early Spiritual Beggars albums were all solid. I love Colour Haze, but I think their self-titled album was their best.

Barnabas Collins and GodShifter like this.
  17. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

These stoner rock threads here are always a bit of a train wreck...

Oh well, here's a nomination for anything by The Heads - not the version formed from The Talking Heads, but the Bristol stoner/psych/jam band.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I dig the The Heads a lot. Under Sided (2002) is a good one from them. They're almost like a warped version of The Jesus & Mary Chain but far more heavy, psychedelic leanings to them. Great washes of layered guitars in what they do.

Agreed with the train wreck part and a lot of problem is that people tend to lump in sludge and doom metal into the psychedelic/"stoner" category. There isn't anything remotely psychedelic about Church of Misery, Corrupted, Crowbar, or early Trouble, but people include them, anyway. Now, if you're talking the Def American stuff from Trouble like the s/t or Manic Frustration, sure, but to cite The Skull as a psychedelic/"stoner" record seems off base to me.

But I guess if one smokes enough ganja/weed/mary jane anything can be "stoner" in the right environment.

stay crunchy likes this.
  19. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Sleep - Sleep's Holy Mountain
    Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
    Sheavy - The Electric Sleep
    Acid King - Busse Woods
    Lucifer's Friend - S/T
    Terra Firma - S/T
    Paul Chain - Alkahest
    Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity
    Natas - Delmar

This list is pretty predictable, and since everything on it is about 15 years old, I guess I'm dating myself. But these are the albums that really got me into the whole stoner genre, and in most cases they've really held up over time.

GodShifter and starfieldroad like this.
  20. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Yeah it's a shame that The Heads don't appear to be up to much at the moment, bar releasing random archival releases. Under Sided is the one I struggle the most with - it's really trebly and a bit over-produced (by their standards) and I don't think the band themselves were that happy with the sound. Under the Stress of a Headlong Dive or At Last are probably my favourites by them. They were great live too - monumentally heavy and with proper old school psychedelic oil projections.

I think the doom stuff gets lumped in because ultimately it all goes back to Sabbath. I remember when Stonerrock.com was a thriving community back in the day, and space rock, desert rock and doom pretty much all got lumped in together, though I was never that into the doom stuff. The nearest I got was with Goatsnake, who were basically just a slower version of Sabbath but pretty good.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

I don't know, that 1971 set from Radio Bremen gets pretty close or are you going to say that isn't Kraftwerk?

22. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Love those. Has the project ended ? Haven't heard anything new by them since Euphoria

23. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Enjoying a load of stuff on Cardinal Fuzz but that's more psychedelic rock and not really much to do with metal. UNless electric guitar distortion automatically has you categorising things as that genre.

24. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Vista Chino (i.e. Kyuss sanns Homme) "peace."

25. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

YES.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.