Stooges - Raw Power: Legacy Edition w/ Original Mix!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulB, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KALEX

KALEX Forum Resident

Scott, I have all of the pressings you mention above except for the CBS Holland. I gave S&D a spin on all three and can confirm that the UK Embassy has the same mix as seventeen's sample. The drums leap out in those sections.

BTW (and I apologize if I missed this above) but can anyone tell me what mix was used for the Japanese 45 replica with Raw Power / S&D included in the Deluxe edition? Same as on CD1?

Attached Files:

2. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

just had a chance to listen to seventeen's samples... I agree that the apparent UK mix of "Search & Destroy" is somewhat bizarre and although perhaps Bowie's work, imo, not necessarily better. But very different--what it reminds me of are Cale's alternate mixes on the recent debut LP deluxe reissue, in that the guitars (and here, the drums) are off-center and muffled with delays.

3. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

I love the alternate "official" mix, because it goes up and down until the ending where it becomes full on.

The other mix, (the one on Legacy with no bass) is full on from start to finish, to the point that you get tired fast. I think actually the alt mix would have gone much better on the Legacy CD with the other tracks. They could have just put the US LP one as a bonus track on CD 3, it's not like no one own it on record anywhere...

4. ognir rrats

ognir rrats Forum Resident

So, sorry about my ignorance (this thread is confusing!) but, do I need to hold on to my old, original, U.S. Columbia cd of Raw Power for any reason?

5. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Er no I don't think so :)

6. ognir rrats

ognir rrats Forum Resident

thanks seventeen!

7. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

The Bowie mix of "Search & Destroy" is interesting in that you can actually hear Scott Asheton's bass drum. And you can actually hear the "storm trooper" bootstomp overdub referred to in "making of" interviews about the album.

Thanks for posting that comparison file! I didn't even know the Bowie mix of S&D ever made it out to the public.

8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

So what do you guys think of the leaked S&D multitracks :D

9. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

What? where?

10. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

From the game Rock whatever (I don't play those games) but they aren't really the complete multi, there's some downmix in there.

11. motorcitydave

Oh. Ok. Thanks.

12. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

I can only concur this. I'm a HUGE fan of Funhouse and their self-titled debut, but this recording sucks, in all available masterings. The Iggy remix is a pain to listen to, the new Legacy DE is a bit better, but it's still a mud. This is disappointing since the songs are that good. I cannot believe that it's impossible to give the material a decent, i.e. dynamic and punchy remix.:realmad:

13. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

I'm pretty sure we'll get it. But we'll probably have to wait until Iggy passes on...

14. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I hate all versions of this record too, but love every single song on it.

It's a real missed opportunity that they didn't include a properly mastered version of Iggy's remix in the new box set, or a good new remix. I'll never understand the logic of record labels. I would have been first in line to buy the box had they done it properly.

They also should have included more out-takes/songs from the abandoned 4th album, although I suspect that now they have re-united with JW they may record new versions of these songs, and that may be why they held off on releasing those....

15. orchidze

orchidze Forum Resident

I read somewhere that only 2 tracks were used during this recording.
    I don't remember exactly if it was vocals and guitar on one track and rythm section on second. But here we have nothing to remix or remix it like Iggy did (just everything into the red)).
    I think if the proper remix was possible we would have it instead of kill City, which is good remix, but again too loud mastering for my taste.

16. motorcitydave

Which probably won't be until 40 years from now. The man's a freak of nature as you know.

17. sf74

sf74 Active Member

Bumping this to ask a question

For those who order the "super deluxe edition" direct from Sony, how was it shipped? Was it just in a padded envelope or was it shipped in a proper cardboard box?

18. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Neither. In a cardboard mailer that didn't provide adequate protection against the set getting squashed enough in transit to bend and crease the slipcase on all sides. I complained and they sent me another set with the same problem before I finally gave up. For a set that cost as much as this one did they could've used a real box.

19. sf74

sf74 Active Member

thanks for the response. do you remember where the box shipped from? if it was from L.A. then hopefully i won't have to worry about the box getting too messed up. but if it shipped from NY, then i'm in trouble.

20. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

No, sorry, it's been quite a while and I can't remember where it came from. The only upside was that I didn't have to send back the first copy I got, so I wound up with two and gave one of them to a friend who's also a Stooges fan.

21. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

They did a so-called "nice mix" as part of the project. I would expect it's collecting dust somewhere at Sony...

22. Mike D'Aversa

Mike D'Aversa Senior Member

Thanks!

Good to know one already exists (even if we have to wait a while)...

23. Are you talking about this LP?

[​IMG]

Side 1 - CBS-S-31464-A-1
    Side 2 - CBS-S-31464-B-1 (follwed by a subscript 2)

Purchased it used in around 1976. It is dated 1973. Have never heard any other version.

24. serge

serge Forum Resident

i am competely confused..

i have the UK embassy from about 76 or 77.. not the first UK LP.. is the seek and destroy on this a differet mix? it does sound weird for sure.. i noticed that..is the different mix on all UK versions?
    also just got the legacy 2 cd and the live disc is gold!

25. motorcitydave

Absolutely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.