Stooges - Raw Power: Legacy Edition w/ Original Mix!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulB, Dec 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

I'll have to give it a spin--for the very 1st time. I suspect I'm not alone in just playing the Iggy 96 disc of this set.

2. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Mark Wilder did a nice job on the Bowie mix as well--the vocals sound the best I've heard.

3. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Had a chance this morning to hear the new LP mastering of Iggy's RAW POWER remix. I'll echo the comments above: It sounds fantastic.

I bought the 1997 remix the day it came out and being disappointed with the sonics of the end product. This new mastering proves that there's a good remix there, and makes this perhaps the best-treatment yet of a classic album.

Wonder how long it takes for a mastering like this to show up on CD? As others have commented, it's still surprising that it did not appear on the 2010 deluxe reissue.

4. Ramos Pinto

Ramos Pinto New Member

It sounds good as well, except for one thing - "Search And Destroy" needs a bump in the bass to sound like the rest of side one. It's a little jarring, actually that the opening track has no bass and the rest of the album sounds normal in that respect. No other complaints with the set though, the surfaces are dead quiet and there is little or no (unintended) distortion on playback.

5. Andrius

Andrius Member

If I remember right from the vinyl transfers that I heard, MOV is much worse than RSD in respect to Iggy's remix. MOV version, if I remember right, sounds just like the CD (who knows, maybe a bit better, but to it's no different), and RSD is, like everyone says, a new master. Since MOV's reputation shows they tend to use digital masters I don't doubt they just used the CD master. RSD, on the other hand, gave it to master to Kevin Gray.

6. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

I have just ordered the Legacy edition. Am I in for a treat? :) I only have the 1997 remix.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Has the first CD of the Legacy Edition been released by itself (without the live second disc)?

8. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Ordered a copy of the RSD vinyl 2LP and I'm now on side 2 of the Iggy 97 mix. It's still hot and distorted in spots (likely the recording to some degree), but it sounds much better than the CD and far more enjoyable. Haven't made it to the Bowie mix yet, but I think this will be my go-to version going forward. Need to do a needle drop.

9. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Just realized mine is warped as well. Put on the Bowie mix and that's warped as well. Problem is that while my turntable tracks incredibly well, the warp is such on "Search And Destroy" that the song skips multiple times. Even with a record weight in place. Looks like this one is going to have to get returned.

10. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Which is the best version of the Bowie mix on CD pre the Legacy edition?

On Discogs I see four choices:
    Columbia from the USA (1988)
    Essential from the UK and Europe (1989)
    CBS from Europe (1989)
    Castle Communications, Essential from Australia (1992)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.