Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spieg16, Mar 16, 2023.

1. It's terrific that the original album cover art and booklet are being reproduced. Love it!

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I assumed for years the Brick version was the same as the b-side, but one day I noticed the difference in timing, figured it might be a different edit, so dragged out my original single and was startled to hear the difference.

Jarleboy and applejam101 like this.
  3. Is there anything on this double lp that is not on the blu-ray edition of this movie?

4. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Potential Surface Noise:eek:.

5. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Not sure if I should buy this or stick with the CD set I have.
    This was recorded digitally, right? So an all-analog LP is out of the question.

6. But an excellent sounding vinyl release is not out of the question.

Anonamemouse, Rupe33, Larry L and 2 others like this.
  7. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

It was recorded analog, then transferred to digital for all mixing.

A knowledgable well-researched 1985 article from "Recording Engineer/Producer magazine" about digital movie sound here says

"The use of Sony digital multitracks for the Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense concert movie was confined to the post -production stage, with the
    analog 24 -track masters being transferred, with timecode offsets, to a dig- ital dubbing master. Minimal pre- mixing was done by recording engineer Joel Moss at this point, it having been decided to leave balancing of the final mix at Warner Hollywood to Moss and dubbing mixer Steve Maslow. The Dolby Stereo Lt -Rt was bounced up on the digital edit master"

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Recording-Engineer/80s/Recording-1985-10.pdf (page 123)

8. Isn't the film re-release getting a brand new Dolby Atmos remix? Why wouldn't they just take that mix and convert it to stereo, instead of using a mish-mash of 1984 and 1999 mixes?

9. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

The Official Talking Heads social media recently posted this image which more or less confirms this info.[​IMG]

olinko, jfeldt and Jimbino like this.
  10. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Good to see that 'Cowbell' gets it's dedicated track on the master.

11. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

If it was mixed digitally then there’s no way they would remix it from the original analogue source especially to get a AAA record. Even if it was mixed in analogue, I doubt we’d see an AAA record for this reissue.

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Because that would be taking a mix intended for an Atmos system and downmixing it to something for which it wasn’t intended.

13. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Love that film. Yes!

14. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Who is Steph?

15. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

Probably Steve (Stephen) Scales.

16. Right, but presumably they've rebuilt the multitrack recordings in a modern Pro Tools environment, which can then be mixed in any possible format - Atmos, 7.1, 5.1, and stereo.

Surely it's easier to make a new stereo mix based on the Atmos mix? They did this for the 1999 re-release, where the "Studio" mix was done in both 5.1 and stereo formats. (The "Feature Film" mix, which emulates the sound of a live recording, was only done in 5.1.)

It would take some work, but less than trying to match 1984 and 1999 mixes, and it would sound better too!

17. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

Stephanie Spruill, who filled in for Ednah Holt on the last Australian leg of the tour in January 1984. She was brought in to sweeten the backing vocals and received a "Special Thanks" on the film.

18. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Thanks. You learn something new every day.

19. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

The 1999 album used the 1999 movie version. It was remixed for the DVD. Prior to that, the vhs and laserdisc used the 1984 mix.

Fred Dender likes this.
  20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm just talking about which drum part it uses, not what year the mix was done.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  21. tedkul

tedkul Forum Resident

Big announcement coming tomorrow.

22. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

New single, "Cities", from the upcoming SMS reissue!

Of all of the bonus tracks included only in the original VHS/LaserDisc release, the one I was most sorry didn't make the final cut was "Cities". A top 3 TH song for me.

23. Innocent Smith

Innocent Smith Always crashing in the same car

In addition to the vinyl release the official Facebook account mentions in a comment that it will be available "later on as part of another set (CD)". Presumably a CD/BD combo?

24. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

A Criterion Collection set to match True Stories would be ideal.

25. SuahuaB

SuahuaB terrorized by treble

But it's out of the question an excellent sounding vinyl might sound better than an equally excellently mastered CD from the same digital source (that's what I'd like)

no matter how people can trick themselves into believing vinyl is per se a superior medium, it's not.

Of course in the case of AAA, that would be a completely different ballgame and not comparable