Stop saying there's no good new music!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

Today I stumbled on the YouTube Metal Hotlist and was really surprised to find I like a lot of the songs, and at the variety within the genre. On the root page of the lists, Harry Styles has a cool new song out and stumbling around I can run across The Weeknd and Miranda Lambert's new album and and and and.

There's even good news music by old bands! I'm surprised that to name a few Uriah Heep and Saxon and Willie Nelson and going back somewhat further The Allman Brothers put out good stuff. Some long running bands (Metallica, Dream Theater) have put out my favorites lately, not at their "golden age" career starts.

...yet inevetibly in various threads around here (and probably since the dawn of music itself), someones carp that "there's no good new music." What nonsense. Makes me want to program Siri to translate that phrase as "my musical brain is stuck listening to the stuff I listened to when I was young."

Rant over...for now...

2. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

agreed...

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It's the number one flaw of this forum, what I've termed Old Fart's Disease.

If you find new innovative stuff, they'll claim "that's not music!"

If you find new stuff it sounds like the old stuff, they'll complain "it's derivative!

5. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

It’s all been done before already. And better.

6. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Might as well call it the Steve Hoffman Nostalgic Forums.

7. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Yup. Music stopped sometime in the 70s. Everything since sucks :rolleyes:

I for one love The Marcus King Band. Thats a newer one.

walrus, dgstrat, pocofan and 3 others like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

My theory is that most people stop loving new music when their hormones settle down some around age 23.

9. mikedifr0923

Interesting theory. Maybe. I am always looking for new stuff. Even if it is old stuff that is "new to me" I don't particularly like new "mainstream" music but there is plenty of stuff out there if you look for it.

10. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

There's good music to be had today, but I contend it's not found on the pop charts where it was quite good and creative in days of yore. I love modern classical and jazz played with real instruments, and not computerized ones. I also contend that the vast majority of music nowadays of any genre would never pass the old gray whistle test.

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

For the most part, modern chart music rarely appeals to me, but I am still buying new release albums... even if only a few.

I think there is certainly some excellent music being made. Often the problem seems to be people making excuses not to like it...
    You know the stuff
    Been done before and better, being probably the most often seen and heard.

12. Chris DeVoe

The part that kills me, that just absolutely slays me, is that it's never been easier to find new music that will appeal to you. Just use the "radio station" equivalent of whatever streaming service appeals to you. Put in your favorite solo artist or band, and it will deliver you that music plus a bunch of music by new artists that other people who like what you like have also liked. That's all an algorithm does.

13. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I think it is the will to discover.
    Some folks resign themselves to be something and stay there.

To be honest, this forum helped knock out some of my apathy.

head_unit, ralphb, ARK and 4 others like this.
  14. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

If the newer stuff has an extended version I'm all in :laugh:

15. mikedifr0923

Great point. I actually need to use that more myself. I will explore the similar artists lists sometimes but if a song or two doesn't catch my attention I might move on. Using the radio station equivalent would be a hell of a lot easier. I am probably missing out on stuff I would like.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Nah, I was very much into new music at that age. That was the last big innovation in music as far as rock. Nirvana etc.

I dont think I found myself really struggling until my mid to late 30s. I suffered from OMFD at that time. I had given up on very much new music from about age 35-early 40s. Then the unspeakable happened. I burnt out on the old stuff.

For the past 10 yrs or so Ive completely changed my outlook. I welcome new music. It is more difficult to find imo. There is a bunch of stuff to sift through. But I make it an adventure. And Ive probably got maybe a hundred or so new music albums from the past 10 years. I find I keep maybe 10 a yr or so as keepers from sifting through literally hundreds of albums I stream to find if I like them.

I do wish I hadnt been so stubborn in my mid 30s to at least try and listen. But then again it led me to explore jazz and classical. So I guess it all evens out.

17. The real problem is, modern tech allows one to be overwhelmed by good new music. It’s harder to find trustworthy filters to help ID the great stuff than it used to be.

18. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

My son is 28 and a Music and English teacher. It astounds me the number of bands in the last 10 years that he pursues that I’ve never heard of. I am living in the past for the most part:laugh:

19. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

If this forum existed in 1967, 1979, or 1994 there still would have been thread after thread decrying that there is no good new music.

20. Chris DeVoe

But you're here.

On one of the most active music forums on the entire Internet.

Surrounded by experts on every genre of music and specific information on every musician and band.

Just ask.

21. Chris DeVoe

The thing I most love about being open to new music and musicians?

I can see them early in their careers for cheap!

Every time I see people posting about spending hundreds of dollars for tickets to "classic" bands, I think how many shows I could see for that same amount.

Just saw a lovely band the other night, The Quebe Sisters. Three fiddle-playing, singing sisters doing what they term "Progressive Western Swing."

$10 a ticket for a lovely evening of music.

22. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

I know! My brothers new record came out two days ago. On vinyl even!! It’s new. And it’s good!

23. Chris DeVoe

Sample?

LilacTeardrop and ARK like this.
  24. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The constant bashing of new music and their natural constituents is a manifestation of realizing creeping mortality.

25. Chris DeVoe

Why don't you ask him to put some playlists together for you? (People of our generation used to create mixtapes for the same purpose.)

JustVinyl and vinyl diehard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.