Stop saying there's no good new music!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasseru

Rasseru Active Member

I gave it a go and found it doesn't work for me, but thanks! :)

the pope ondine likes this.
  2. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

There is so much great new metal music I am finding it hard to keep up. I discovered 14 excellent bands last week alone. Rivers of Nihil's latest offering is the best thing I've heard in a long tim.

Rasseru and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

For all doomy stoner fans
    Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs - Sweet Relief

Rasseru and vamborules like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Not to be confused with not to be confused with the Christian rock band Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs or the Country Blues outfit Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh I like this! And, it's an instrumental! I'm getting this!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

There is a lot of good new music. You just need to have and open mind. Artists like Billie Eilish, Greta Van Fleet and Royal Blood come to mind.

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I think that's who my friend wants me to go see. I haven't committed because it's a work night and my dad is in the hospital, so we'll see. Nice to have another recommend.

ARK and mikedifr0923 like this.
  8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

So what you're saying is you like Jethro Tull? :p

9. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

You didn't read the entire reply. I didn't say Beck was a new musician. I was using his song Sissyneck to show the level of intelligence in the craft of pop music song writing I look for that I rarely see in new music. It's not like I chose geezer rock that goes back over 40 years to use as an example.

10. Tim Lookingbill

Ya' cherry picked the quote out of context of my main points on how I determine what is original sounding new music.

Do you discern an intelligent intent behind the crafting of a song or group's style? How do you define for yourself what it is you enjoy about hearing new music? It might be more than determining whether one can dance to it.

Those music groups of the 60's & '70's you mentioned were once new music but now are being used by new groups today to pander to boomers by emulating their style as a homage or lazy attempt to borrow their mojo whole cloth with a hair thin excuse for being considered original and new.

Intelligent is as intelligent does. It's not hard to read between the lines melodically and lyrically with today's new music. If all your saying..."Hey! This new band sounds kinda' like Zep, Beatles or the Stones, etc". who's the intelligent one in this exchange? Someone bought what they thought was new music but it doesn't appear the new group tried very hard in taking something old and making it sound new.

11. this place does help.

The music of any era has never been a problem for me, per se. But the commercialization of radio once made the really good stuff very scarce and difficult to find. And now there's a massive overload of music, which also makes the cream of it difficult to find. Granted, it's much better to be faced with the second problem.

But- was broadcast radio superior in terms of providing a medium for finding really good music in the years prior to 1979? Indisputably. Once music radio began running commercials for credit card companies, it was all over. And really, that all changed within the space of about two years, 1978 and 1979. On a local basis, some music stations I've heard are less bad than others- they have somewhat wider playlists. But the new regime of music as supplemental to commercials has been in place as the foundation for 40 years.

So an American age 55 hasn't heard the previous style of music radio- the sort of radio where the DJs routinely read the weekly or nightly events calendar of local live music venues, and most of the ads were for local small businesses- since they were about age 13. Which is too young to notice any difference, for most people in their early teens. And for almost anyone younger than that, they simply have no memory of commercial music radio being anything other than the Troff'n'Brew.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  12. Tim Lookingbill

Why do you assume the exchange of information and opinions in a discussion is an attempt to convince by judgement. If we attempt to look at something with new eyes/ears doesn't mean it's judging. Enriching with new information and points of view doesn't mean someone is trying to convince another, just informing them.

It's a forum for discussing interesting topics, not an inquisition.

setlistthief and starduster like this.
  13. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I know I've cherry picked once again but

the point to my argument (as in - a reason or set of reasons given in support of an idea, action or theory)

is that those bands that I quoted The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin were not playing new music. They all recycled music from the past. It was derivative.

Your argument appears to me that it was OK for those bands to do it but its a definite no no for the artists of today.

bobfrombob, Chris DeVoe and ARK like this.
  14. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I'm too busy discovering the old music to listen to the new stuff :)

Although.. I did just bought the new Who album.

I hear some new bands via my daughter, and some quite nice stuff, but the songs are very normal in their structure and arrangement.

I will buy new electronic music such as Deep House or Classical (yes, I have very diverse tastes), but I recently got into Little Feat, who I knew of as a teenager, but never listened to. So, I enjoy discovering old stuff that passed me by.

Real drums and guitars sound best recorded on analogue tape, afaic.

15. Chris DeVoe

Plenty of bands recording on analog tape using "real" drums and guitars today.

Kingsley Fats and Chazzbo13 like this.
  16. Timbo21

Timbo21 Forum Resident

I recently bought Eric Clapton's "I Still Do" both on 45rpm vinyl (AAA via Bernie Grundmen) and 24bit 192khz Hi Res Audio c/o Bob Ludwig. As you prob know it was recorded on Studer A800 reel to reel

The vinyl sounded amazing, disappointed with the Hi Res. No idea why they just didn't get Bernie to do the Hi Res too.

17. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Don't you realize you're betraying The Beatles if you actually like random artist Paul McCartney himself says good things about? LMAO

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

My angle on that is that I think a lot of stuff from the 60s-80s (and other decades, too) is unfairly dismissed. For example, you knock disco in general below this post. But there's tons of fantastic disco.

I don't agree that every decade has a lot of crappy music. I don't think that the last couple decades have had a lot of crappy music, either.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Terrapin Station

Yeah, I was in more than one of those bands in the pre-Internet days.

There seems to be an impression that it was relatively easy to earn a living from music prior to the Internet. That's not the case. What gives that impression is the folks who were the top >1% of earners complaining about their income from album sales suffering with the arrival of the Internet. And that's true. But those folks are a very small minority of the people who were putting out albums, going on the road, etc.

20. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

There’s a parallel thread on best 10 albums of the 2010’s. Plenty of good suggestions. Go figure....

ARK likes this.
  21. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

And this thread has been going on for 87 pages. Imagine that...
    Best New Albums of 2019

ARK likes this.
  22. Terrapin Station

One band I was in during the 80s put out a couple albums and we were on the road promoting them as a supporting act and also as a headliner in smaller venues. Our earnings covered the cost of touring--but just barely, and above that, we were sometimes lucky to clear $10 per band member for the week. Our albums sold okay, but the money was mostly going back to the record company to pay back the money they had put up for us. Some guys had other jobs when we weren't on the road--for example one guy did construction. I did other gigs on the side, and I lived with girlfriends/wives who had steady jobs. The Internet wasn't a problem for us because there was no Internet. It's not easy to make a living from music. I've managed to do it for almost 40 years now, but largely because I steered towards journeyman work, including lots of studio work, and working as an arranger/composer as well, sometimes for not-very-glamorous gigs, and I've been a lot more comfortable than I would otherwise be because I've almost always had a girlfriend or wife with a "normal job" who earned more than me. I'm fortunate to have a background that enables me to be able to play/write/arrange in any genre--from classical to jazz, punk to country, avant-garde/experimental stuff to jingles/production music, etc. Plenty of folks I've been in bands with wound up eventually having to do something else for an income.

23. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Although to be fair, like 25% of that is a pair of twits copy-pasting Bandcamp descriptions of records they haven't actually listened to, but even still, worth it once they're on ignore.

Gaslight, HotelYorba101 and ralphb like this.
  24. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Always gonna be space wasters. But that thread (and the ones from preceding years) has turned me on to a lot of new music.

ARK, Gaslight and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

I know! On the doomed-to-be-locked Talking Heads thread, I offered this refutation of the idea that female bass players serve mostly as eye candy, with this playing by Janice-Marie Johnson of A Taste of Honey. Few clicked on it despite my indemnifying them against disco cooties.

Yes, "boogie-oogie-oogie" is a stupid lyric, but then so was "tutti frutti, aw rooti."

I think every decade has had crappy music and every decade has had amazing music.

ARK and Buddybud like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.