Stop saying there's no good new music!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

if you mean rock or pop music, there's not much I like from recent. Some.

Which may or may not mean I agree with the premise.

Still, theres tons of great stuff coming out of other genres.

Maybe I'm just bored with rock. Its not that these new bands are no good - its more or less the same old and I've heard it all before.

Got to mix it up with some other genre before I'm really interested, like Bombay Royale - a mix of bollywood and surf rock.

But almost all of the "new rock" that gets put on the "good new music" pages here? Not my thing anymore I guess. They're good but nothing special.

sorry.

/rant

TheLastVoice, head_unit and Rasseru like this.
  2. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

In the DC area, there are scores of musicians making original, compelling music that I don't find derivative at all-just a melding of disparate styles and genres into something that feels different. But none of these local musicians make a living at it. They all have their day jobs that allow them to indulge in their artistic passions at night, on weekends...whenever they can find the time. One of my favorites is Near Northeast...

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Dingly Del Boy

Dingly Del Boy Forum Resident

This is an artist I'd never got around to listening to, so thanks for pushing me into it with the recommendation. Southeastern is a truly world class album, and I look forward to exploring his other work. Thank you.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Ha I thought I was the only one annoyed by how that thread was turning out, I will have to give that a try

5. Beatleboy1968

Beatleboy1968 Forum Resident

My good friend runs the International Songwriting Competition out of Nashville. The amount of new and extremely good music that is sent to him is astounding. The great artists and songs are out there.
    Unfortunately it seems the record companies only sign and promote what they deem will sell by the ton to the gullible and brainwashed public that are being spun 'product' played on radio that simply hopes to make the company a lot of money.
    I use Spotify to discover new music.
    My latest fave is the song called Lebanon by J.S Ondara. Do yourself a favour:)

Chris DeVoe and head_unit like this.
  6. Rasseru

Rasseru Active Member

I had only three of the ten albums on the list (and loved them) before finding this, which I offer for anyone interested to explore, as I am now about to do myself:

Best Jazz of 2019

head_unit likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thank you so much! Somebody else had introduced me to his music, and it's the least I can do to pass it along to someone else.

Dingly Del Boy likes this.
  8. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Call it whatever you like bud, it's still coersion or at least a feeble attempt LOL

9. broshfab4

broshfab4 Forum Resident

Great Van Fleet? Heard them a little -- a Zeppelin wanna be. Derivative, like a photocopy of an original. No thanks. And this Billie Eilish person she's like seventeen? Sorry but too young, do people my age even get anything out of that? Sounds a bit creepy to me.

10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Coersion meaning "the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats."?

I don't think persuading someone to understand that even if they would rather stick to the bands that are now way over the age to get colonoscopies on a regular basis it doesn't mean there is no good new music coming out, is quite as drastic as coercion.

11. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

We need new instruments lmao Drums, Bass, Guitar etc. has been thoroughly exhausted.

TheLastVoice likes this.
  12. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

I think her sound is pretty unique and different, and a young acquaintance of mine said "she humble brags very well." And I think she's gotten momentum as the hot thing of the moment. The question is what will she follow up with and will it sustain. I found her album interesting and cool yet somewhat all the same.

Babysquid likes this.
  14. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Didn't say it was a definite no no for artists of today to use derivative styles, sounds, melody structure, rhythm, etc. to create new music that is original and unique. I said I want to see an intelligent approach to how they make the derivative sound new and fresh.

Beck's Sissyneck is a very good example of using derivative "musical languages" that sound fresh and unique.

15. TheLastVoice

TheLastVoice Forum Resident

This is kind of how I started feeling back in the early '90s. In '91 while everyone else was losing their mind over Nirvana, I was obsessed with The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld and the first Orbital album. Ever since then, almost all of the new music that I like/love is some style of electronic(a).

Wombat Reynolds likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Absolutely!

They're still in this scarcity mindset, where there's an limited amount of record store end cap space. They signed somebody and if they don't have a hit the very first album, they drop them. The truth is, they could keep everybody signed, keep everything in production, rely on the algorithms to deliver music to potential listeners, and make even more money.

Instead, they want to find somebody that they can massage into a popstar, with a dozen song doctors, and a half dozen "featurings."

I will definitely check it out.

Beatleboy1968 likes this.
  17. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

aw man, did we lose the other girl? she played all the guitar parts live, there were both super talented.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

If I could pinpoint my issue with much new music it's this:

I like immediacy. I like hooks. I like memorable tunes. I like songs that, the first time you hear them you can hum them for weeks afterwards.

Much of what's being made now fits the "it grows on you" description. However, I'm personally too impatient for that. I can honestly say that I've always known whether I'd like a record after the first time I've heard it. I can't say I've ever had a record grow on me.

So while others hear gorgeous soundscapes or lush haziness, I hear tedium and chord changes in place of hooks and choruses. And when I do hear music that is catchier, it's rarely as good as the older music on which it's based (GVF is the obvious example, but I hear it all the time with other artists.)

However, I wouldn't say that there isn't a lot of good new music being made. There's tons of it - it just doesn't appeal to me. But for the intended younger audience, if they dig it, I think that's great. 20 year olds shouldn't be listening exclusively to music made before they were born, and young artists shouldn't be making music to appeal to old bastids like me.

I've got 100 years of amazing music to catch up on before I kick it, and I've barely scratched the surface. So I'll go and do that --while making room for the occasional exciting young artist that comes my way -- and let younger listeners and more open-eared old timers enjoy the new stuff.

19. Chris DeVoe

The guitarist during ther most popular period was Hazel Payne, and she's still alive, but they lost Minnie Thomas, their later guitarist.

the pope ondine likes this.
  20. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

have you seen your avatar?

Lost In The Flood and wolfram like this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

There's about 9,997 other bands you can check out. You don't have to check out music that's in the top 40. What are some of your favorite bands?

22. Chris DeVoe

There are great classic pop songwriters out there, but they are not necessarily being signed by record labels. One of my favorites is The Gregory Brothers aka Schmoyoho. They exist mainly on YouTube where they have millions of followers.

Michael Gregory, the primary songwriter, has a gift for pop melody, and had he been born in the 1950s, he would have been writing songs to be recorded by the Monkees and the Turtles.

This song is a cheaply recorded demo and the video is just him three times in different wigs, but it has a hook that any Brill Building songsmith would be proud to call their own.

Bryan Harris likes this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Here's a super-catchy recent song.

Charly Bliss - Under You

Bryan Harris and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

One of my favorite new songs out there. I can listen to this 10 times in a row.

Church Of The Cosmic Skull: Cold Sweat

vamborules and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The Regrettes - Dress Up

blastfurniss and nodeerforamonth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.