Stop saying there's no good new music!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Dec 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

This just came out a few weeks ago...

Michael Monroe: Last Train Back To Tokyo

2. nodeerforamonth

Another song that I just can't get enough of:

Kurt Baker: "Girl's Got Money"

blastfurniss likes this.
  3. nodeerforamonth

This should be a hit.

Jeff Whalen: Alien Lanes

4. nodeerforamonth

Is this catchy enough?

The Hold Steady: Stay Positive

5. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I've tried algorithm driven recommendations of various sorts in the past, and I've always found them either incredibly obvious or just way off base. Obviously, YMMV. I do manage to find some new stuff I like, but only a little - maybe 20 or so albums this century. But then I was 23 a long, long time ago and found lots of new stuff I liked well past that.

6. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

There's talent out there, and some of it is more out there than others...here's my discovery for this year:

Jackson and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. musiclistsareus

musiclistsareus Well-Known Member

My point was not that it is hard to find music, but it's hard to find GOOD music. There is a lot of crappy music in every decade, but the 2010s has out-done them all.

8. musiclistsareus

musiclistsareus Well-Known Member

I thought the point of the forum was "discussion". We all have personal tastes, but can't we discuss without arguing and getting defensive?

9. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

Just follow Pitchfork to keep abreast of all the goodness. And if you find it lacking you’re just not looking hard enough or too old or something or the other.

neruda likes this.
  10. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Yes, this is the puzzling part. With the access to new, different artists these days, I can’t stop finding new music, even when I want to buy less. I’ve come to the conclusion that the “discriminate tastes” of music from the past were only formed because of hearing it played over and over again, on the radio, “in the good old days”.

11. Nice Marmot

You should have seen the sunset in 1971.

ARK, bobfrombob, MortSahlFan and 2 others like this.
  12. Nice Marmot

This, yes! When I was a teen, Van Halen was the greatest band ever and nobody could convince me otherwise. This it the mentality that explains a lot. Thank god I don’t just listen to VH anymore.

Edit: plus (thinking about it), when I was a teen, all of my friends liked VH and they couldn’t be convinced that there was anything better. Now add 30 years. It’s proven by our disliking of new music that we liked the best music, ever.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. Sandorelli

Sandorelli Forum Resident

What dooo you listen to now?

Nice Marmot likes this.
  14. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Hasn't this always been the case ?

Ah. This takes me back to the 80's when guitars were deemed to be dead & keyboards were the new music messiah.
    Rubbish then rubbish now

I feel a bit sad for those that espouse this way of thinking because it is just not true.

15. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Actually the BEST sunsets in my part of the world were in 1991.
    Absolutely stunning oranges, yellows & reds.
    All thanks to the Iraqi's setting fire to hundreds of oil wells in Kuwait.

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I dunno, I've been listening to music -- popular music, art music, whatever -- since my earliest childhood in the 1960s. There's never been a year that's passed in my life in which I haven't heard great new music. And my experience is that all eras are pretty much the same in terms of the caliber of the music being made. I don't really think there's ever much crappy music made, actually. There's music you like more or dislike more. There's music that's more distinctive and music that's more conventional. But it's mostly all well made and for a purpose.

What changes is the style of music that's popular. From swing songs to rock and soul to disco to whatever you want to call '80s dance pop to hip hop to whatever you want to call today's rhythmic pop, the formal aspects change, the preferred timbres, the particular dance rhythms that are popular, etc. If your interest is in only one particular style of music, the passage of time may kind of leave that style behind, and leave you wondering "what happened to the music I like?"

When my brother and I were kids and we'd go running to our mom to complain, "Mom, I'm bored," she would tell use boredom was in the mind and make us go use our minds and time to do something that would interest us. It's kind of the same thing with these complaints about no good music. What's "good" is in the mind, there's plenty of great new music out there every year if you open your eras and your mind and go and hear it.

Of course I'm stylistically agnostic, this year I've enjoyed jazz records from Tomeka Reid, country records from Miranda Lambert, pop records from Taylor Swift, classical music from John Luther Adams, R&B records from Sudan Archive, for want of a better word, world music from Tinariwen. There's no shortage of great new music out there. Whether or not we find it or appreciate it is more about us than it is about the music.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  17. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

I regularly find new music i like, and often also love, thanks to the Discover Weekly playlist in Spotify. The more one uses Spotify, the higher the chances to get something really in tune. That works more or less for any algorithm-driven playlist out there.

18. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

Four lines that perfectly explain the aversion that so many here feel for new music.

Chris DeVoe and mercuryvenus like this.
  19. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Good stuff there. What's the story behind this band? Neither Amazon, Allmusic or Wikipedia have any write-ups or reviews on them. A few more samples from YouTube sound good though. Does it all have an 80s inspired sound?

c-eling likes this.
  20. Nice Marmot

Come on Sandorelli, give me a break.

21. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Not really sure actually. They were signed to Iris's- Andrew Sega's Diffusion Records. Pretty much how I discovered them. (Big Iris Fan)
    They have a bandcamp page you can check out their stuff.
    CTRL
    Took me awhile but I was able to grab the promo cd for Fragmentary Moments, it was only officially released as a DL :sigh:

22. nodeerforamonth

I remember back in '84 trying to tell people about this new band called Metallica and now their album "Kill Em All" was the best new album ever! Listen to those rhythms on this song called the Four Horsemen! If you're a fan of the Scorpions, you should LOVE this! etc... Everyone laughed at me. "It's not even close to the Scorpions." "Maiden dude!". etc...

And I KNOW that Metallica became their favorite band 7 years later. Posers....

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Sorry, nothing topped the sunsets over the Williamsburg oil tanks back in the late 60's. :)

Nice Marmot likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Got a kind of early Elvis Costello vibe to it.

25. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

Nothing is dead but there's only so much you can do in terms of originality I'm not a Pete Townsend/Who fan but he's right the guitar has been exhausted, should that impinge on the enjoyment you personally get from new derivative rock etc.? no but the boards have been tread over & over, 1001 pedals and bad mixing can only do so much lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.