Stories

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DjBryan, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member Thread Starter

I found a buddah cd of the Stories a greatest hit(s) cd for 2 bucks at a record store. Brother Louie is a great AM Jam, I cant believe how that song is so much better that all the others, This is the only cd I ever bought that truly was one good song, well very good song.

2. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I have the Buddah CD release of "About Us" which was the original album that "Brother Louie" was on. I think there was one other song on the album that I actually liked but I don't recall the name of it right now. Anyway, I picked that disk up in the bargain bin at Music For A Song a few years ago for 1.99 with a big sawcut on the side though. Ian Lloyd's voice sounded a lot like Rod Stewart.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I had that CD many years ago. I loved the sound, which was full and rich with bass, and the highs were clean. The CD wasn't bright, so it got bashed all around, as I recall. It didn't sound like NR was used at all. All I recall is that it had the deepest bass on "Brother Louie" that I have EVER heard. But, I didn't care for any more than two songs, so I ripped that and "Mammy Blue" and got rid of the CD when I got tight for money.

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I have to disagree with my friend Bryan. While it was indeed a good AM radio song, most Power Pop aficionados regard "Brother Louie" as one of Stories' weakest songs overall.

For those who don't know, Michael Brown of The Left Banke formed Stories after his previous group's demise (and a GREAT one-off single with its vocalist Steve Martin, "Two By Two"/"Love Songs in the Night"). Their self-titled debut album is full of Brown's patented baroque melodies. "I'm Coming Home," while it missed the Top 40, got a fair amount of AM radio airplay. Beyond this, I'd say "Take Cover" is my favorite, though all the tracks have merit.

Their second album, "About Us," is regarded as a Power Pop classic. It was originally released without "Brother Louie," as this song was recorded after Brown had left the group. It was grafted on after it hit the bigtime. But tracks like "Hey France" and "Changes Have Begun" are great melodic stuff in the Michael Brown tradition.

There was a third Stories album, "Traveling Underground," but it has little to recommend it without Brown's melodies. After all this praise for the band, it has to be said that Ian Lloyd isn't half the vocalist that Steve Martin was. He does indeed have that Stewart-like rasp; a purer vocalist like Martin might have served these songs better. Still, if you're a melody/harmony guy like me, Stories are one of the bands that made the early 70s bearable.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  5. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Before being covered by the Stories, "Brother Louie" was a big hit in the UK for Hot Chocolate, who later scored in the US with "Emma" and "You Sexy Thing." Check out their version on one of their many hits collections.

P.S. As a solo artist, Ian Lloyd hit #50 in 1979 with a song called "Slip Away," written and produced by Ric Ocasek. Very new-wavy, it's one of the great lost singles of the 70s. AFAIK, it's never appeared on any CD.

6. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

The Cars recorded their own version of Slip Away in 1979. The song was finally released on the Just What I Needed anthology in 1995.

7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

IMO that song should have a bigger hit than it was. It go some radio play in the midwest market here in the fall of '72. Definetely a forgotten single and I have yet to see it on any Stories CD compilation. A serious omission.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  8. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

Stories were excellent in the early 70's.
    I had their 1st 2 records-sorta like Rod Stewart fronting Left Banke/Badfinger sounding.
    A twofer Cd of their 1st 2 albums would be a natural for Sundazed or Hip-o
    What is Michael Brown doing these days??

Groundhog713 likes this.
  9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

He recorded an album with his wife Yvonne Vitale several years ago. Opinions vary on how good it is (I've never heard it myself).

Earlier this year there was a great article about The Left Banke in The Big Takeover -- with Tom Feher, Tom Finn, Rick Brand and George Cameron interviewed. Turns out there have been many attempts over the last several years to revive the band, but each and every one ran aground for one reason or another. (At least some would seem to involve Michael Brown being a bit...difficult, and Steve Martin being a bit...mercurial.)

I don't recall the exact details of what Brown is doing, but the article is well worth seeking out.

10. dotheDVDeed

dotheDVDeed Forum Resident

Great info in this thread

I was turned on to "About Us" of course through the strength of the single Brother Louie when it was originally released in the days of vinyl. I'm a sucker for the give and take ending with the strings versus the guitar. But I was thoroughly impressed with album, though of course I have admit nothing on the album sounds remotely like Brother Louie.

I was lucky to pick up this cut-out CD also from Music For A Song as well. Any chance of finding the first album on CD out there?

TIM

11. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

It's never been issued domestically, to my knowledge. gemm.com has a couple of listings, but they're ambiguous. It's hard to tell if they mean the debut album or "About Us," as catalog numbers are all over the place.

Despite the great reputation "About Us" has, I've always been a little more partial to the debut album, actually. It's a shame that it's not easily available.

Groundhog713 likes this.
  12. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Here's another vote of praise for the Stories first album. I won this LP from the local college radio station when I was a kid and remember liking it a lot. Sadly, I no longer own it, and have looked for this material on CD, but to no avail. Maybe I should search for the LP?

Steve

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The funny thing was, the music publishing varied. On Hot Chocolate's original "Brother Louie" (issued in the U.S. as RAK ZS7 4515), the publisher was listed as "RAK Publishing Ltd." -- yet when Stories' version (Kama Sutra KA 577) came out, the publisher was given as "Buddah Music (ASCAP)." I suppose that Buddah thought the Brown who co-wrote "Brother Louie" was Michael instead of Errol, eh? (Never mind that, as noted, Michael Brown had left by the time Stories' rollicking "Brother Louie" was committed to tape.)

Even more amazing, when the original issue of Hot Chocolate's "Emma" on Bell 45,466 in 1974 (which I've only seen via promo copies; have yet to see a stock copy) was issued, Buddah Music was likewise listed as the publisher.

Attached Files:

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

WB,

THat label should be in our Label Gallery. Can you do a high quality large scan of that?

15. stever

stever Senior Member

I had, "About Us," on a German CD a few years ago -- the label escapes me. I wanted to hear what else was on the album besides their great single, "Brother Louie." I was very disappointed.

16. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Yeah the LP can be found without too much difficulty and fairly cheap too. I paid $5 for a near mint copy a few years ago.

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The now OOP Buddha Box is a must own for fans of that era.

I also have the 45 single of "Brother Louie" as seen just above.

One of my favorite labels. Also like the mention of "Kuma Satra Records Inc.".

18. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Buddha's actually released this thing...what, three times now? Domestically, at least. There's a bare-bones edition, a "Remastered" edition, and one with a remix of Brother Louie tacked on at the end (as well as reshuffling the track order to include the original Brother Louie up front).

I actually disagree with your assertion re. "Traveling Underground." I bought it expecting to be disappointed, and while "Mammy Blue" is seriously embarassing, the rest is golden. It seems as if bands Brown decides to abandon function quite well after he leaves.

It's worth the $2 you'd spend for an LP.

AFAIK, the first album was released on CD twice: as a Japanese import (twofer with About Us) and as a budget Buddha issue in Canada. The Canadian disc doesn't sound very good; it's very cassette-like. That said, that might just be how the master sounds. It's VERY hard to find...I scored a copy off of cdconnection a few years ago.

Scarily enough, I have THAT one too...eBay during CHristmas last year, in fact (golden time for nobody sniping auctions!). Unfortunately, it isn't very good. To be cruel, Yvonne's voice just isn't up to snuff. Additionally, Brown has an unfortunately tendency towards shlocky production, relying heavily on super-fake synths and bouncy percussion.

By the way...are you guys aware that two sets of Left Banke outtakes were released as internet bootlegs last year?

19. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Actually, this seemed to be S.O.P. with Buddah subsidiaries by that time. (Curtom singles, for instance, listed the copyright owner as "Curtom Records, Inc.", the last Hot Wax singles before their deal with Buddah ended showed "Hot Wax Records, Inc.", and so on.)

Just a question: What would be the URL?

20. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I do have the album. I will give it another chance sometime to see if my view is any different. I certainly agree with you about "Mammy Blue," though!

Somebody gave me one track, "I Have Been Searching," some time ago. I didn't realize there was more where that came from. Can you share any details?

21. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member Thread Starter

Hey Mike wazzup. If you like I can give you the cd? Its another Underdog cd! I was talking with Tj from wsrd He said to say hi.

22. roguelephant

roguelephant New Member

WOW...I had no idea anyone else was into this. I have two Stories LP's and another LP of The Beckies; another Michael Brown quartet with three different guys, whom are, as the liner notes state, "local teen idols" with Kansas City's biggest group, Chesmann Square. It's on Sire, 1976, and contains 11 songs of the same pop melodic character Brown is known for. As for the Stories LP. It is 1972, simply called "Stories", does not contain Brother Louie, my guess is the first Stories album, is on Budda, or Kama Sutra, and has a photo of the group with two older violinists, Peter Buonconsiglio and Harry Lookofsky. Having been soundly impressed with the New Yorkeze Baroque flash of The Left Banke, I was intrigued to listen to Brown's later creations, and frankly, though some may think this kind of music corny and trite, I would disagree. I find it quite entertaining, and while some tunes may wear a bit thin after a several listenings, others have remarkable beauty and have provided many hours of enjoyment. Brother Louie, in many ways is a distinct departure from Brown's usual form. Many thanks to forum members for posting on this obscure pop phenom. Mike :)

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yeah, the Beckies. A real fine album. Issued in 1976 by Sire/ABC and deleted very shortly thereafter, when Sire left ABC for Warner distribution. Never reissued anywhere in any format. Not too deep, but excellent melodic pop rock.

Kwad

24. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I love the Left Banke and Montage lp! Michael Brown was/is a real innovator and great pop stylist. I don't have the Stories lp's but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that when I get them (that is, when the snipers are sleeping or have forgotten to activate their satan-spawned software) I'll have a 180 degree different opinion than the first few posters who found his music forgettable.

25. I have 2 vinyl copies of 'Abous Us', one vinyl of 'Traveling Underground', and a vinyl lp of the Ian Lloyd album that quickly followed. I also have the Buddah cutout cd of 'About Us' and the One Way cd of 'Traveling . .' . All get a lot of play in my house. I've gotten several friends hooked on this band, no one I know around here thinks the "Brother Louie" single is the best thing they ever did . . .we all like the baroque sounding stuff better. The keyboards all over the 'Traveling . . ' album are magnificent. All of you who dismissed the lp because it did not sound like the single really missed the boat, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.