Strange Contrary B-Sides

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beenieman, May 25, 2023.

1. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

This is actually a popular track with rock musicians I've known (some of them arguably famous) who love to jam on it. Rock music/Beatles snobs, not so much.

That whole album is pretty wild actually.

phillyal1 and Michael Macrone like this.
  2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The A-side is a classic blues-rocker, the flip is their best psychedelic tune.

phillyal1 and stereoptic like this.
  3. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The B side to Captain Sensible's Wot was something called Strawberry Dross which was a whole pile of demos (9 minutes) strung together to, sort of, make a song.

Disco Robot likes this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The flip to Love is the Drug by Roxy Music was a long instrumental drone called Sultanesque

stereoptic likes this.
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The B side to Bluebirds Over the Mountain by The Beach Boys was a Charles Manson song called Cease to Exist

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

One of the B sides to Hunters & Collectors Throw Your Arms Around Me was a comedy sketch called Who's on Left?

7. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I'm in love with My Car by Queen, I actually like it more than Bo Rhap!

8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

On the flip side of Bob Dylan’s 1966 poppy-sounding “I Want You” was a live performance of “Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues” with the Hawks in Liverpool that sounded something like this….

phillyal1 and majorlance like this.
  9. Egg Crisis

Egg Crisis Forum Resident

Well it's not the Ronettes, it's The Phil Spector Wall Of Sound Orchestra. It belongs more in a thread for A-sides with a different artist on the B-side. Spector did that a bunch of times, if you want more you've got "Miss Joan & Mr Sam" (B-side of "Baby, I Love You"), "Big Red" (b-side of "The Best part of Breakin' Up"), "Bebe & Susu" (b-side of "Do I Love You?"), "Chubby Danny D" (b-side of "Why Don't They Let Us Fall in Love").

10. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Umm.. ok one that comes to mind is The Intruders[1964]classic[But You Belong To Me]- it's B-side[Jack Be Nimble] a fast dance tune, not bad but different.

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

B-side to Dancing Bear by the Mamas & Papas. Very offbeat and only 1:06 long. Probably a breach of copyright as well.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Bizarre Steppenwolf B-side, nearly 9 mins worth. Not on any collection until the complete singles came out recently.

Jon H. and MYQ1 like this.
  13. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Upon first glance I read the thread title as Strange Country B-Sides & was off to find some bizarre Johnny Paycheck or George Jones songs. :D

14. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

finally found this on 45 after many years of looking --- why this was not played on "underground ' radio in the late 1960's is a mystery -- did Columbia discourage them?

15. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

It really says something that in the catalogue of a band as odd as Roxy Music, "Hula Kula" was the song that seems most out of character for them. It's like one of those Hawaiian Easy Listening albums. For all intents and purposes it was a Phil Manzanera solo track, so he probably liked that sort of music. It stands in total contrast with "Street Life", which was almost an early punk song.

phillyal1 likes this.